Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:58:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLife of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Life of Sundura - Let's play as an organism from Birth to Death  (Read 28899 times)
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »

Update #8: Egg Hatching

The last thing I was working on before immersing myself last month in creating a playable build for IndieCade (see my last update) was having the organism hatch out of an egg. Here is the progress I made on it back then:

Draft#1:

Draft#2:

Draft#3:

Though I love how it has turned out, I want to make it look even better. Will post an update on it once it's done. On to draft #4!

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 06:05:57 PM »

Update #9: Draft 4 for Egg Hatching

Here is draft #4 of my implementation of the egg hatching. I improved the look of the shell, played around with different colors, and randomized the size of the balls inside the egg. On to draft #5 (hopefully, my final draft).

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 01:29:22 PM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »

Update #10: Final Draft for Egg Hatching

Here it is final draft for the egg hatching.

For this iteration, I made the line of the egg shell thinner. It feels more like an egg shell to me if the line is thinner then it is bigger. Also made the final breaking out of the egg more explosive.

And finally, added some white balls that cling to you. The white balls will play an important part to the birth process. More on that later. Smiley

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

Wow that last gif with the egg is great! This whole game looks really cool to me!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:35 AM »

Update #11: Egg Hatching Build

Here is the playable build for the egg hatching scene.

http://organizamgame.com/#/play/6

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »

Wow that last gif with the egg is great! This whole game looks really cool to me!

Thanks! Really encouraging to hear you say that.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »

Update #10: Final Draft for Egg Hatching

This!!! I love seeing games like this, it really stretches my assumptions about what is possible in games. I love it Smiley

Check out Ernst Haeckel for lots of cool illustrations of subatomic and other organic structures, may be useful. Also I've dabble in organic procedural things myself.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 05:25:59 AM »

Update #12: Mother’s Internal Body

WARNING: There are spoilers in this update. Not spoilers for the story, but spoilers about creatures in the game and how they behave. Part of the fun of the game is learning and discovering about different types of creatures. So proceed at your own risk.

Now that I have completed the egg hatching of the organism, it is time to build the environment where the organism will be born in. Which will be inside of his gigantic mom’s body.

The sketch above represents a part of your mom’s body that constantly produces offspring. Unlike most organisms in our real world where the eggs are laid outside of the mom’s body, here the eggs of this species are formed inside the mother and stays inside until the babies are ready to hatch, in which they start making their way outside of the mother’s body to be greeted by family members upon birth.

Going through the mothers body upon birth will also act as a tutorial for my game where the player will learn how to attack, move around, and block.

Info about the Mother

Your mother is a gigantic snake like creature that has lived for thousands of years. Though she gives birth to you, she is NOT of your species. Her purpose is to produce offspring of MANY different kinds of species. Species would inject their sperm into the mother for an opportunity to give birth to their species. As you can imagine this forces many species to protect the mother, feed her, and even fight among each other to have their legacy live on.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 05:32:41 AM »

This!!! I love seeing games like this, it really stretches my assumptions about what is possible in games. I love it Smiley

Check out Ernst Haeckel for lots of cool illustrations of subatomic and other organic structures, may be useful. Also I've dabble in organic procedural things myself.

Love it! Thanks for sharing your work and the mention Ernst Haekel (first time hearing of him). Going to absorb all of that and let it influence my work.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »

Update #13: 2D Sprite Breaking System

So the previous work on the egg cracking shell is mostly animated, with physics taking over after the final crack out of the shell. Though I am happy with the way it looks, I need a tool that allows me to build sprite breaking stuff because through out the game the organism will be breaking through barriers. Also, I want to create aspects where parts of you break off as you get attacked (how cool, would that be?!).

Did some research and found some sprite breaking tools for unity. I wasn’t satisfied with the quality of them, so I figured I’d make my own 2D tool that allows me use Unity’s existing physics system to break off pieces. Here is a demo of what I got so far.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »

Update #14: Improved Egg Hatching

After implementing the 2D sprite breaking system, I really wanted to integrate it into the egg hatching experience. Though I like my previous work on the egg hatching, the part where the egg gets cracked is animated and adding this 2D sprite breaking system would make it look soooo much better. So here is the result of that work:

And here is the updated build of that work: http://organizamgame.com/#/play/7

In my next blog update I will be writing about the implementation of the 2D sprite breaking.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »

What a bizarre and brilliant looking game!
Great work so far!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »

What a bizarre and brilliant looking game!
Great work so far!

Thanks!

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »

Update #15: Implementation of the 2D Breaking System

For this update, I want to talk about how I implemented the 2D sprite breaking system that I used for the egg hatching.

Block Composition

Here is the concept, let's say you have the following blocks in the game.

Each block is a game object that consists of the following:
  • Sprite Renderer
  • Polygon Collider 2D (or any Collider 2D)

With that composition, if an object where to collide with it, it would not make it move an inch. If we were to add Rigidbody2D component to the blocks above, then they would react to the impact. However, that's not really breaking part. At that point they would just be movable objects standing next to each other.

Breakable Script

So to give it the feel of breaking off, I created a script called Breakable and added it to each individual block. The script holds the following Rigidbody2D metadata:
  • Mass
  • Linear Drag
  • Angular Drag
  • Gravity Scale

This metadata is used to create a Rigidbody2D component when the block breaks off. It also uses the 'Mass' value to determine how many hits that piece will have to take before it breaks off. For example, a mass of 1 will only take 1 hit to break off, where as mass of 10 will take 10 hits to break off. So once a block breaks off, the Rigidbody2D component gets added to the block and the Breakable script destroys itself.

Impact Calculations

The other piece of information is what determines a valid hit? If I touch it lightly, is that valid hit that can cause it to break? Maybe, depends on the mass of the piece, the velocity of the object hitting it, and the mass of the object. First, I have to get the impact of the hit by combining the velocity and the mass of the object that is doing the hitting.

var hitImpact = collision.rigidbody.relativeVelocity.magnitude * collision.rigidbody.mass;

Then I do a check to see if the block is weak enough to be damaged by the hit:

Code:
var minimumImpactVelocity = 100;

var blockDurability = blockRigidbody.mass * minimumImpactVelocity;

if (hitImpact > blockDurability){
   //We have a hit
}

The 'minimumImpactVelocity' is for minimum speed an object needs to be in order to cause damage to the block. Here are some examples

Breaking

So now we know what a valid hit is. But how many hit does it take to cause the piece to break off? That depends on the hitImpact of the object the durability of the block. First I need to determine the maximum health of the block by multiplying it's durability by 10:

Code:
var maximumHealth = blockDurability * 10;

This is saying that an object with the same mass and a velocity of 100 will take 10 hits to break it off. Next up is taking the 'hitImpact' adding it the currentDamage value.

Code:
currentDamage += hitImpact;

if (currentDamage >= maximumHealth) {
// break off
}

Finally, we do a check to if the current damage is great then maximumHealth before breaking it off.

The result of all this is the following:

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 02:47:15 PM »

Update #16: Mother’s Body (Iteration 1 - Layout)

I have started working on the mother’s body that you are going to be born in. She is going to be snake like and rock like. Here is the first draft iteration for my work of her body. Here I am focusing on the layout structure and how it feels when she moves around.

She will be gigantic so she’ll be moving much slower then what I am showing here.

Up next, I will be focusing on the art style and her overall design.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »

Update #17: Mother’s Body (Iteration 2 - Art Style and Design)

For this iteration of the mother’s body I was working on pin pointing the art style of the organism and it’s design.

I needed to create passage ways between each individual body node. In the previous iteration,each node was closed off. The reason I needed to open it up is because when you are born, you will be making your way through your mother’s body to find a way out.

I also added a temporary head to her body. That will change once I design a new head for her. Up next I will continue focusing on the the art style and design of her body and keep making it more awesome looking.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »

Update #18: Mother’s Body (Iteration 3 - Sprite Stretching)

For this iteration I worked on the outer skin of the organism. The problem I quickly cam across is the sprites in between each node overlapping each other when the organism curves (take a look at my last update for an example of this). So I decided to implement sprite stretching. The basic idea is where I take a sprite between two points and stretch it or collapse it based on the distance between those two points. The result is the following:

For the next iteration (and hopefully my final one) I will be focusing on the head of the organism. It’s going to look quite different from what I am showing here.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »

Update #19: Mother’s Body (Iteration 4 - Head)

So in the 4th iteration I have been focusing on working the head of the organism. Here are some of my early sketches:

I really like their hair-like one above, but I realized that it would take me 2 weeks to implement hair physics in the game to make it look fluid as the organism moves around. So I decided to keep it simple. I also abounded the idea of determining what the head is going to be like through sketching and just started putting sprites together from the body in unity. The reason for this is because when I sketch something and put in motion it just ends up looking horrible. So I needed the ability to design the head while being able to quickly test the design by moving the organism around. This is what I came up with that process:

The design above felt good as I was moving the organism around so I went deeper and started molding it in different ways and experimenting with different ideas (like adding lights). Finally, here is what I ended up with:

Really like the feel and look of this thus far. Going to go through one more final iteration of just polishing it up and improving on the skeleton of the head.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:42:07 AM by Vakey Rujevic » Logged

Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 06:38:33 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(video_game)

?
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »

Flow is a fun game. It's a game about eating other organisms and getting bigger. Not what Organizam is about. Not trying to make a feeding simulator. Instead I am make an interactive story driven game in world that throws you in a habitat that is slowly diminishing due to the extraction of vital resources by artificial organisms. Read my first post of this thread for me info Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic