Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:19:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPosable Heroes - EARLY ACCESS LAUNCH!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Posable Heroes - EARLY ACCESS LAUNCH!  (Read 13971 times)
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »

Poor ragdoll, stuck in a time loop (time trampoline?) getting punched and un-punched repeatedly

That's the fate of those who join the evil minion career.

02.aug.2017

Working on the AI continues. And sometimes, it goes a little bit crazy.

This errors was mainly do to having too much strength and firmness on the AIs body. Makes it very bouncy on the ground and every time it tried to standup it sent it off flying to the sky.

I did like a couple of the kicks it managed to perform, for a few seconds there it seemed like it knew what it was doing  Cheesy

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 09:19:57 AM »

Reminds me of early WobbleDog footage
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »

After a long hiatus, we are back on track!

Just a little bit more effort and this project will finally see daylight.

I have a steam store website set up, so you can wishlist the game if you want to.

Advancing the counter to 90% and I'll be reporting daily.
Wish me luck.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

Ok, good luck! Coffee
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

Hunting a big bug, part 1:

Today I was working with a real buggy bug that has been bugging me since pretty much the beginning of development.

You see, I choose to use box2d c++ version for Posable Heroes. It's open source and pretty solid. And the best of all, it's deterministic. That is, there is no "random" on the simulated work. If you have a square and a triangle, in exaclty the same starting position, with exactly the same linear and rotation speed, then when you simulate the world, you are always going to get the same result.

Which is good! Specially for me in a game where I have to go back in time all the time.

BUT... (a big but!)... if you try to duplicate an existing world (already running), then the two worlds will not behave the same.

Here's a picture for you to understand...

If you copy from the beginning, everything works:

But if you copy once the world is already running:

This is for a very simple reason: Box2d classes do not expose everything in public. There are several values, arrays and optimizations that lie under the hood, inside the b2World and the b2Bodies. So when you grab an existing world, and try to duplicate all the elements from the value they have public, there are several things you are missing.

I found a temporal solution that I will talk about next post and that might solve this problem for some users, but that wasn't a forever solution in my case either.

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2017, 09:39:30 AM »

So, in the previous post I said the main problem about duplicating a box2d world. The worlds differ.

Why would you want to duplicate a box2d world?

There are several reasons:

To replay a cool sequence.
To predict the future.
To go back in time.
To save the current game.
To send the current world to another player.

How do you solve this?

There is a very simple way of going around the box2d issue. Instead of trying to make a copy of the original world, and hope for the best, you make two copies, and then destroy the original.

So instead of running the original world and save the copy...

You make two copies, run one and save the second one. That way, the second copy will be identical to the first one.

So the solution is: everytime you want to save the current world, you are actually destroying it and making two copies. The players will continue to play on copy number #1 (they will not realise the change) and you store copy number 2, in case you ever need to get back to that instant.

This is a very simple solution that can be applied to almost every case. My game turned out to be one of those special cases that required dipping into the source code. I'll talk about it in the next post.

If you want to know more about my game and why I had to dance around box2d cloning issues: Posable Heroes now has a steam store page.

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2017, 09:45:38 AM »

In the last post, I explained how to solve the box2d issue about cloning a world. It's pretty simple, fairly fast and reliable in its results.

I didn't use it. Why? Because there are some cases (like my game) that it doesn't work. And those cases happen when the game has two+ characters and one can go back to change their behaviour but the other one does exactly the same.

Let me put it in pictures.

If you have one character going back in time:

The mechanic is straight forward. If the character goes back in time and does the same movements, the result will be exactly the same, because the copied world will be the same as before.

If the character goes back in time and does something different, well, the result will be different, but that makes total sense, if you change the past you cannot expect the future to be exactly the same.

But, if you have 2 characters, let's see what happens:

Let's say character pink stays still while character blue jumps around. A possible future is generated and the pink character observes it. This is the critical part, somebody that is not causing the events but is able to see the possible future.

Now, when everything is rewound, and the pink character decides to move around, the copies will not be the same as before. Thus, the future of the blue player (that was originally observed) might change, even if the pink player never touches the blue player or its surroundings. This makes no sense in the eyes of the second player.

This is a huge issue! Imagine in Posable Heroes doing some tasks with the blue character, and then coming back to work with the pink character only to realise your blue characters timeline is altered. Since the game requires precision, this is unacceptable.

On the 4th and final post, I'll explain what I did to finally solve this issue (spoiler alert: thank you open source).

If you are interested in Posable Heroes, you can wishlist it on steam.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

I didn't use it. Why? Because there are some cases (like my game) that it doesn't work. And those cases happen when the game has two+ characters and one can go back to change their behaviour but the other one does exactly the same.
Hah, you're basically dealing with chaos theory at this point! Tongue
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:26 AM »

Hah, you're basically dealing with chaos theory at this point! Tongue

Cheesy
What did I got myself into  Huh?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »

I'm sure this somehow will turn out to be an NP-hard problem Tongue
desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »

06.dec.2017

An example of the variation I've been talking about. The second character is offscreen, doesn't interfere with this animation at all, and yet the variations exists.

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »

Lately I've been working on updating the hud. The game is quite colorful (one you press play) so I thought adding a cardboard only hud to make the distinction.

Use to look like this:

Now it looks like this:

Top left is supposed to be the briefing about the current level. Working on localizing those texts.

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »

Starting working on the tutorials. They are suppose to guide you step by step.

I wanted a more implicit tutorial, those that teach you without you realising you are learning, but I couldn't find a way to design it. I think it may be because the gameplay is not really similar to anything, so I needed to explain everything from zero. From the first click you have to make.

IndieGameFiend
Level 0

IndieGameFiend.Net

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »

Game looks amazing. Can't wait for it!  Kiss

Will the level editor include the ability to add your own drawings and characters?

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »

Will the level editor include the ability to add your own drawings and characters?

Yes!  Beer!
The levels are nothing but drawings, so you can draw the level that you want, and then add the physical lines to it.

Changing the visual aspect of the character is also as easy as opening a png and start drawing on it. There's also a character editor if you want to change the physical shapes of the character.

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »

very creative!

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »

Refining the tutorial was probably one of the hardest part of the "later development". Everything was in place, but how to teach the player how to play the game was still a struggle.

The first time somebody tried my game, he was 15 minutes on level 1 and he couldnt even solved it. So this was a major issue. The game evolved from a "this is a full level, here are the controls, good luck", to "this is a much limited level, lets try the first feature first and will see how we go".

The things that helped me:

1. Limiting number of limbs.

On the original first level, you controlled all 4 limbs + head of the character. That was brutal for a first timer. Understanding how physic works on the character is not easy. So I changed that to only 1 limb, and the character starts tied up to a chair. You have to limit the degrees of freedom that you offer the players.

2. Explaining the movie, the poses, and how do they work.

Although the concept of a timeline is easy to understand now that everybody browses youtube, keyframes and poses needed to be explained. I tried explaining the bare minimum because I don't want to overwhelm the player on the first level.

Explaining that a pose is what make the difference in the movie.

3. Slowing down the player

Although it may seem weird, sometimes you have to slow down the player so they dont hurt themselves. At first, just standing on some point in the timeline and moving the character would create a pose. Very fast, very simple. Except that it lead to players creating poses everywhere, anywhere. Not realising where they are standing, and not giving importance to the appropiate time.

I had to slow them down, asking them to create the pose manually.

This simple creation with a button made the player pay attention where the pose was, and at what time was the movement happening.

4. Teaching by doing, not just showing.

This is quite straight forward, but players learn a lot more by doing the actions than just reading about them. In this case I showed an animated example of what the player was suppose to do, and waited for the player to do it themselves.

5. Gameplay before story.

I'm pretty sure some writers may hate me, but I was willing to destroy the story if that meant a smooth gameplay/learning curve. One of my biggest fights with players was gravity. It was not easy to teach someone to move and jump, beacause... well... most people don't realise "how" they walk, they just walk. And when they have to pass that expertise to a dummy character, they struggle becuase in their mind is just automatic. It's like tryin to teach a kid to tie their shoes. You just do it, and you would have to analise step by step just to make it work.

Original first level. Gravity can be a bitch.

In my case, the fact that gravity was such a hussle to overcome, I couldn't add it in the first levels where players were just getting the grip of the game. So I moved my story to space, and then to the moon, were gravity is lower. After several level then the player lands on earth and the gravity challenge appears. Does it make 100% sense as a story now? No. I tried to fit the changes in to the story, but the realism of the story is a little stretched out now. I'm not gonna win any writing prize for it. But I haven't received any of the complaints and struggles I use to see from new players.

After refining the tutorial several times, I haven't received a single complain about no understanding the game. Some people still don't like it, that acceptable, but at least now everyone gets to evaluate the game other than "too confusing".

I hope my mistakes help you out a bit in your tutorial. Cheers.

JonKelliher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2018, 01:02:23 PM »

This looks like a rad idea! I get the impression that with a fair amount of time players could reach an equally satisfying feeling as Line Rider with the level of detail and precision involved to pull of smooth runs and sequences. Keep it up!

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2018, 06:35:54 PM »

This looks like a rad idea! I get the impression that with a fair amount of time players could reach an equally satisfying feeling as Line Rider with the level of detail and precision involved to pull of smooth runs and sequences. Keep it up!

Thanks. Yes, I would really like to find at least one really perfectionist player that will show me how far the game can be pushed.

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »

Been working on a lot a GUI and menues and everything that makes the game come together. I don't like this part of development but it's something that needs to be done.

Here's the new level select screen made by a freelance artist:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic