Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 02:35:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJump On Mushrooms: The Game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Jump On Mushrooms: The Game  (Read 85322 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »

Awesomely clever and very fun.

One gripe though: I originally had no idea why I was dieing after I jumped.  I'd jump to grab a coin then fall to my death and think the floor where I landed was some hidden obstacle or something.  It was very confusing and frustrating.

Yes, some of the ways of dying might pretty confusing at first. I don't know if I can do anything else for that though than encourage the players to check the readme. Grin

declan gage, thanks for the comment. That's a good idea, and I might implement it when I'm not as tired as now Smiley

Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »

But replaying a level after you have finished it, does not make a lot of sense, because youll end up at the end of the stage, then go to the end of the previous.

While going from start of a stage to end of the previous (without the replay inbetween) is more of a ... logical Tongue transition

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2009, 03:35:17 PM »

But replaying a level after you have finished it, does not make a lot of sense, because youll end up at the end of the stage, then go to the end of the previous.

While going from start of a stage to end of the previous (without the replay inbetween) is more of a ... logical Tongue transition

True. rbelmont000 suggested a full replay when you complete the game. I think this would make the most sense.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

True. rbelmont000 suggested a full replay when you complete the game. I think this would make the most sense.

Hmm... You're right. I'll think about that tomorrow.
(Though I don't know if it's really interesting to watch the game play itself backwards Grin)

Captain_404
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2009, 04:25:21 PM »

Hmm... You're right. I'll think about that tomorrow.
(Though I don't know if it's really interesting to watch the game play itself backwards Grin)

I didn't enjoy it at first, but after a while it becomes interesting. I did want to see my replay all the way though once I beat the level though, I think there's a certain reward in it.

I do think it would make it much more bearable for the impatient if you let spacebar speed up the replay to twice as fast or something.

Speaking of, how are you handling the replays? Are you storing the player/objects speed in an array and then looping backward though it? Are you storing the x/y positions every frame and looping through that? Or are you using some tricky maths given to you by some benevolent alien spacecraft?

I ask because there are certain glitches that arise depending on which you use that might well be the cause of your replay desyncing. (I worked with a replay system for my last game)
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »

This is a really awesome game, Hempuli! What a beautiful concept.

I don't really think it was necessary for you to encourage us not to read the readme - it's mindblowing enough (and less confusing) without needing to figure out the basic premise on our own, in my opinion. Smiley If you were to polish this game further, my first recommendation (in case this hasn't been said already) would be to make clear specifically why the player fails each time. But I love it as is. Thank you very much.
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »

This game is freakishly like a dream I had not too long ago, it was a classical fantasy style adventure involving a big evil, it went backwards as the conquest and gains of the hero were undone and towns were unbuilt. The story got successively sadder as all the great accomplishments were undone, wars that had ended started again, and magic gem-power sources were un-attained(if only they'd thought to convert to tiger power). Then the story got better as cities unburned and the world grew unevil. Then the hero grew younger, the world more fragile as peace resettled. Finally it goes back to hero's birth with the evil wizard looming over the baby in the cradle.

Really weird stuff.
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »

I love this game!
I barely had time to test it right now, but when I started playing and the concept dawned on me it was  Grin:handmetalR:
Event Cascade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »

It's very nice, but I can't help but hope a Portal gets made out of this Narbacular Drop. You dig?
JackBread
Level 0

100% fresh hippo

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »

Make this again, but with Sonic. Wink
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 12:51:40 AM »

I love the concept.

spoiler comments

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 01:33:04 AM »

I hate to break it to you, Hempuli, but Goombas aren't mushrooms, they're actually chestnuts Wink

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 03:17:15 AM »

Brilliant idea! Very very well implemented too - this must have been pretty tricky to get working right!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 03:26:47 AM »

I hate to break it to you, Hempuli, but Goombas aren't mushrooms, they're actually chestnuts Wink

Whaat?!

Anyway, thanks again for all these kind comments! For what comes to the rewinding, I've stored only the positions/actions of the player, and everything else just moves backwards. This causes the desync, though I don't know why, because theoretically the goombas should be in the correct place if they start moving backwards when the rewinding begins. I should maybe try recording the positions of EVERY single object, but that might slow the game down, I don't know. In any way, it would be hard to do.

The ideas of telling the player when he's about to die / making the Esc skipping clearer are good, but the only thing is that I'm not sure how I should implement them to the game, because having for example a text string telling you about them would break the idea of the game running backwards, IMO. If you have suggestions for this, please tell them! It would be really cool to implement these.

I can't currently implement a button that would speed up the rewinding, since some of the objects rewinding aren't controlled by anything, they're just moving around. I could maybe make their speed to become twice as fast, but that would probably make the game desync even more.

I'll now fix some bugs, like the fireball desync. Thanks once again for these comments! Smiley

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2009, 06:10:04 AM »

Oh, so they aren't Chestnut mushrooms? That would have made sense considering like the Goombas, Chestnut mushrooms have a white stalk with brown cap.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »

So painfully hard but a really good game basis there.  The reset all the way to the 'start/end' of the level makes the game infuriating.  In fact it managed to cause everyone I showed the game to too burst out in fits of rage, not to say it should be canned.  At the same time the wonderful premise kept bringing me back.  Make the opening screen stay open after completing the game damn you, after finishing I wanted to show everyone I had infact done it, then the game shut down to really push the irritability.  Needs a save system, especially if you will be adding more levels.  This is truely a game for the masochists and supa conformists out there "Obey the rules! or pain".

Captain_404
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 07:03:38 AM »

Anyway, thanks again for all these kind comments! For what comes to the rewinding, I've stored only the positions/actions of the player, and everything else just moves backwards. This causes the desync, though I don't know why, because theoretically the goombas should be in the correct place if they start moving backwards when the rewinding begins. I should maybe try recording the positions of EVERY single object, but that might slow the game down, I don't know. In any way, it would be hard to do.

I highly recommend recording everything by position as this is always the most accurate method. Perhaps it would be a bit simpler to give each object it's own array "attached" to it (if that's possible in GM, I work in Flash mainly) so that instead of just looping through the objects and carrying out their functions, you'll only have to loop through them and change their position based on their array.

Obviously, you wouldn't have to do this for coins since they don't move. You could probably also get a away with recording the first fireball's distance from the cannon at any given time and then render all the fireballs based on that since they're supposed to be an even distance apart (I assume).

Just a few ideas, it's at least worth a shot I think.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 07:08:48 AM »

I highly recommend recording everything by position as this is always the most accurate method. Perhaps it would be a bit simpler to give each object it's own array "attached" to it (if that's possible in GM, I work in Flash mainly) so that instead of just looping through the objects and carrying out their functions, you'll only have to loop through them and change their position based on their array.

Obviously, you wouldn't have to do this for coins since they don't move. You could probably also get a away with recording the first fireball's distance from the cannon at any given time and then render all the fireballs based on that since they're supposed to be an even distance apart (I assume).

Just a few ideas, it's at least worth a shot I think.

Thanks for the suggestions, but sadly MMF 2 works differently than either flash or GM, and I don't think it is possible to implement it these ways you mentioned.

So painfully hard but a really good game basis there.  The reset all the way to the 'start/end' of the level makes the game infuriating.  In fact it managed to cause everyone I showed the game to too burst out in fits of rage, not to say it should be canned.  At the same time the wonderful premise kept bringing me back.  Make the opening screen stay open after completing the game damn you, after finishing I wanted to show everyone I had infact done it, then the game shut down to really push the irritability.  Needs a save system, especially if you will be adding more levels.  This is truely a game for the masochists and supa conformists out there "Obey the rules! or pain".

Press ESC to skip the rewinding Smiley

I fixed the fireball desync bug, but I'm still looking for a way to fix the overall desyncing.

zeid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:12 AM »

Oh no I knew that esc skipped the rewind, I just meant that even though each level is short, going back right near the end is still painful. Tongue Combined with the high difficulty rate and the fact that you can actually just hold shift to kill yourself makes it on occassions really aggravating.  Another BIG point ditch shift key for a different one, who ever the hell invented sticky key should be shot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:07:01 AM by zeid » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »

Oh no I knew that esc skipped the rewind, I just meant that even though each level is short, going back right near the end is still painful. Tongue Combined with the high difficulty rate and the fact that you can actually just hold shift to kill yourself makes it on occassions really aggravating.  Another BIG point ditch shift key for a different one, who ever the hell invented sticky key should be shot.

Oh dear, I forgot mr. Sticky key. Hmm, should maybe do something about it. Currently you can change controls by pressing control + Y

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic