Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:22:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: ‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎  (Read 15633 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »

bicoz u Lredy tolked aboot Kingdoms 2 once while Kingdoms seem to be abondoned.  

Probly because the character looks anime?

(But i like your new project, keep going  Hand Thumbs Up Left and honestly i don't know what's your role in the Kingdoms game, i just usually have a bad view when a game seems to be abandoned and the team behind it is working on a new project.)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »

bicoz u Lredy tolked aboot Kingdoms 2 once while Kingdoms seem to be abondoned.  

Probly because the character looks anime?

(But i like your new project, keep going  Hand Thumbs Up Left and honestly i don't know what's your role in the Kingdoms game, i just usually have a bad view when a game seems to be abandoned and the team behind it is working on a new project.)

I'm only one member of the Kingdoms team, it's still being worked on as fast as possible, but not everyone has something they can do on that game. This game and Kingdoms 2 stuff gets worked on in my spare time

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 02:49:55 AM »

Today I created item prefabs for a bunch of the things which will eventually be trade-able/drop-able/sell-able etc.
I also did a lot of work on trying to define the game's art style a bit more, you'll see the new look in screenshots soon I guess.
I also made the inventory menu open when you press I, tomorrow I intend to hook in the Inventory menu's functionality so it can be used to trade, drop, eat, store your picked up items

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »

Here's that style pass I was talking about

I've tried to make everything a bit more toony by increasing global/ambient light.

it still needs a lot of work, but I want this game to have a really unique style, I don't want to be trying to compete for most-bestest-graphics-shooter.
I want the game to clearly present itself as a low budget indie game so people have the right expectations from the start
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:58:38 PM by Mittens » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »

Today I coded
- player to player trading functionality
- item shop interface
- item shop functionality
- when players die they drop a loot-able bag with all their inventory items in it
- when players die they drop anything they had equipped in their hands as an individual item (not in the bag)

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 02:12:39 AM »

Today I made crate items which, when you shoot them, will break open, choose some random loot based on rarity percentages and drop those items into the world

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »

I like the way this looks so far! I'm surprised more people aren't commenting here really. The art style is pretty cool, i'm glad that you didn't just try to be realistic and stylized everything.
I checked out the videos you posted earlier in the devlog and the game looks pretty fun to play. Are you planning on selling it when its done?

Looking forward to any development!  Coffee

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »

I like the way this looks so far! I'm surprised more people aren't commenting here really. The art style is pretty cool, i'm glad that you didn't just try to be realistic and stylized everything.
I checked out the videos you posted earlier in the devlog and the game looks pretty fun to play. Are you planning on selling it when its done?

Looking forward to any development!  Coffee

I haven't yet figured out completely how to monetize this, but my current plan is to make the game free but the stratergy elements are locked unless you upgrade your account to a "leader/commander" with a once off purchase.
This would then enable you to start your own factions and enjoy the political parts of the game instead of just being a pawn in someone elses war

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 03:59:08 PM »

Why does nobody care about my work? If the next person to ignore this thread could comment on why they are ignoring it that would be really helpful

I only noticed the thread today. Traffic on this site is insane, so there is no way to even skim all the devlogs that shows up. Only reason I clicked on the link and started reading today (in addition to being up much too late, can't sleep and bored) was the game title. It sounded like it might be some kind of strategy game. But survival is nice as well, so I kept reading. Maybe there will one day be a game to compete with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead for being the best survival game, so I skimmed this thread.

Anyway you did manage to catch my attention for long enough to read down the first full page of the thread, so that is something. There wasn't enough content to convince me I want to keep reading though to be honest. The graphics are really nice, so it's not that, although showing off great graphics these days is not proof of anything beyond knowing how to import animated 3D models into something like Unity, so that is not saying anything about how good the game will be. Maybe a lot of information is hidden in the videos (no time for those, sorry), but you really should spell out some more details about what this is about, instead of just listing some references to other games (that I never played) and hinting at something (WHAT?) that you dislike about other survival games that you want to fix. I'm really curious about that last bit: Why do you spend precious space in the top post on talking about something being so broken in existing games that you want to fix it, but then not spell out exactly what that broken thing is? That thing about only having one chance to make a first impression you know... you got to get every important detail into a short and informative first post, not just a few game-references and some videos. I don't even see a list of target platforms here and there is nothing about what the game plays like. All that focus on showing off graphics and on "carriers" that I don't even get what they are. What is it that the player is trying to survive? Is there multiplayer? Maybe this will be a great game, but with the lack of gameplay information there just wasn't anything to convince me. It wasn't that something convinced me to ignore it, but the lack of evidence either way isn't enough when there is so much competition for attention here.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 05:33:19 PM »

^ Thanks for taking the time to post, there's a lot of good points there.

I'll try to re-write my front page soon

Done.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:19:36 PM by Mittens » Logged

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »

Why does nobody care about my work? If the next person to ignore this thread could comment on why they are ignoring it that would be really helpful

I wouldn't say I'm outright ignoring this project, but I'm not as invested in it as I am with some other ones. The contrast of the detailed faces with the monochromatic, almost cel-shaded hair is jarring, and makes it look rather unpolished. Which is to be expected for a work-in-progress, but it looks like the face and body were pulled from a character creator, or perhaps some premade assets, and the hair was just thrown on top of it. Additionally, the massive amounts of bloom are off-putting, IMO. Which is a shame, because I'm really into some of these animations.

I want the game to clearly present itself as a low budget indie game so people have the right expectations from the start

If that's the goal, then you're definitely doing it right. But the thing is, as a gamer, I don't really enjoy playing games that look like that. Because to me, a 'low-budget' look usually is synonymous with 'low-effort.' It makes me think of all the unpolished games I've played in the past, with long load times, game-breaking bugs, bad controls, etc. It makes me think "If the devs phoned it in with the graphics, what does that say about the gameplay?" So, by default, I tend to avoid such games.

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh; you asked for input, and I tried to be as honest and detailed as possible. The gameplay, itself, looks pretty interesting and potentially fun, but the visual presentation of the game is going to prevent me from getting too invested in the project.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

thanks for the feedback.
I don't intend to leave the visuals how they are now.
Almost everything is still placeholder graphics and the game will have a day-night cycle, so the lightning conditions in the current screenshots (high bloom) will likely only be around for brief periods in the cycle.

Currently I'm working on a model for the native aliens which the elf colonists need to survive against
Here's my basic plan

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »

a bit more fleshed

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »

and now it's textured

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »

I finished rigging the alien, making animations now

supajackle
Level 0

im kyle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »

Woah this is rad! The player character has a very interesting design, i dig it. Youve done a really great job making all the forms of movement look really fun

Im hyped to see what you do with it!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »

Thanks!
Alien animations done
implemented into game
worked on alien code
can now take damage from bullets
aliens play hurt animation when shot
aliens can climb walls or any other obstacles that block the path to it's target
aliens play running, climbing and idle animations appropriately

next I need to make alien ragdoll spawn when alien is destroyed + alien sounds and they are pretty much done

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »

You're working so fast for a one man team, it's impressive. Some Devs really need to follow your example.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic