Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:28:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: ‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎  (Read 15647 times)
Griffith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 03:01:54 AM »

I really like the art style, reminds me of Phantasy Star Online/RF online quite a bit.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 08:19:47 PM »

here's a demo of an alien chasing me and getting killed

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:24:48 PM by Mittens » Logged

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:29 AM »

Why does nobody care about my work? If the next person to ignore this thread could comment on why they are ignoring it that would be really helpful

We gather together in secret forum spaces to decide who we are going to ignore next.
It just happens that you were the next on the list.

(I had to reply to that post, hehe)

(edit)
To actually answer the post, you seem like a guy that knows what they're doing game-wise and what direction you want the game to go towards. I'm not too much into the artstyle though (anime-like is not my thing, but that's personal)  Even though it all seems to be coming together nicely. I'm a bit afraid of the scope as well, if you want a polished game with the art direction you're working towards it'll take a lot of time.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:57:12 AM by Juwdah » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »

today I did some stuff;

Make all items that are on_ground = true delete after some time
make a function in gamemode which randomly spawns and places boxes on surface of planet (trace down from space so that terrain height doesn't matter)
spawn boxes at a set rate, stop spawning once a limit is reached
Make an alien spawning script which spawns aliens on the dark side of the planet in a random place
Make a melee only "Wrench" weapon so player can break open crates and stuff without needing bullets or a gun
bug: players arm IK gets lost after rolling, can't aim
when we go into a full body anim, save the current state of our IK so we can return to it
bug: player keep dropping inventory bags if they keep getting re-killed
make sure the function can only happen once
give player some starting resources/money
make supply crates drop a random amount of resources
enabled the resources pickup to have a variable amount of resources associated with it
enabled consuming the resource pickup to destroy it and add to replicated resourced amount of that player
make buildings cost resources in spawn event
save a cost variable on structure prefabs
make shop purchases cost resources in spawn event
enable loot crates to be broken with melee attacks
don't allow sleeping players to frictionlessly slide forever when nudged
maintain ground friction and collisions while sleeping
make aliens die if they stay in the light too long
make aliens try to move with the shade
compare alien distance from darkest point on planet, if they are getting far away, move towards the darkest point

Uykered
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »

I was surprised by the seamless transition aspect of going from being on the ground to flying onto a big carrier ship you can walk around, the grand scale of that is exciting. I like that you'll have aliens on the planets too and not just hamuns.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »

I just re-worked the day night cycle so it get's the sky color and brightness from a list of pre-defined values

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19:27 AM »

I just made a dynamic grass system.
grass meshes spawn all around the player at a distance where thier spawning cant be noticed
the meshes grow out of the ground when they spawn to be more subtle
when the player walks too far away from a grass mesh it withers and deletes itself
Each grass segment is dynamic, so the player can push and squash grass by walking on/through it

This is part one of constructing the world proceduraly, next I need to make the terrain generate itself into nice mountains
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:38:18 AM by Mittens » Logged

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »

I really like this, nice work c:
animations look top notch and graphics are very pleasing to look at

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »

so after attempting a small online test I've found a huge batch of fresh bugs which need to be fixed before I can get back to adding features.
Hopefully I will have them fixed and the game playable soon!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 05:36:27 AM »

I fixed all those bugs and did another online test, this time it was a lot more encouraging. It was actually an experience akin to what you would get from many of the early access survival games out on steam right now.
I did of course find a whole new batch of things to fix, but this set are much less game breaking.
pretty soon I should have something I can post here as open alpha or whatever Smiley

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 05:59:52 AM »

Hey looking forward to trying out anything you put up on here. The game is looking cool and seems like its coming along! Keep it up!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2015, 01:06:14 AM »

Recent developments:

Smarter AI
Upgraded the Alien AI to hunt people down based on how loud and obnoxious they are being (firing guns, using jetpack etc.)
Also, if you hurt an alien (sniping) it will charge at you regardless of how loud you are or how far away you are
You can reduce how much the aliens are bothered by your presence by crouching in the grass and standing still
If you are still and quite enough, aliens can migrate past you without noticing you, which feels much nicer than them always having an omniscient sense of your location at all times

Income!
I made aliens drop money and ammo when they die, so you can go monster hunting to build your bank account.
I also made factories, once captured they will deposit 1 money per second into you factions bank account.
This feature also, obviously, required that I make faction bank accounts. Factions now have a screen where faction members can contribute money to the faction or take faction funds for their own use.
When the faction commander creates/edits ranks they can now choose whether or not members in that rank are allowed to withdraw faction money.
How much you have contributed or withdrawn from your faction is saved on your member profile, so the commander can see if you are contributing to the greater good of the faction or leaching it.
This stat comes in to play (most likely) when faction members request promotions from the commander, the commander will most likely approve or deny increases in rank based on the members contribution total.

Otherwise I have just been sinking time into generally fixing things up.

I want to do an open alpha soon but I am having trouble holding together all the considerations for something like that.
When you start to imagine what trolls might do to spoil the game there becomes a whole lot of new work to do :S

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 12:32:54 AM »

Had some really posative playtests recently. Varios changes to the AI and Hud have profoundly improved the experience. Players appear on others hud based on their noisiness similar to how aliens now choose thoer targets.

Aliens have had their platforming abilities greatly enhanced also, they rarely(never) get stuck now

I've also substantially improved the base building by making a snapping/alignment system to enable things to be built in very neat and airtight looking configurations
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:24:36 AM by Mittens » Logged

lolpatrol
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 01:44:41 AM »

Looking good, however with so much bloom and blur I'm not sure my eyes can get used to it. Blink Blink
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 03:35:57 AM »

play testing has made me utterly sick of telling people the various keys required to open the game's various important menus.
This is enough to indicate that opening each of these menu is something in drastic need of simplifying so I decided to make an index menu which would lead to each of them.

As you can see it also includes visual buttons for cycling and equipping weapons since this is another thing dependant on hotkeys and I'm constantly getting asked "how get my gun out" etc.

IconicGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 04:43:12 AM »

The game is really, REALLY impressive. I noticed a few comments back you mentioned no one was commenting and wanted to chime in because im experiencing the same thing and felt for you, especially with how awesome the game looks! And I wanted you to know the game looks amazing and im going to continue to follow it. As to why they are not commenting? Im assuming most people dont know what to say other then it looks great! So they dont bother posting until they can put together a more put together opinion. I would appreciate it if you would pop into my game and let me know what you think as well.  Wink

The vehicles really remind me of Halo (not sure if this was on purpose but it certainly does seem like it in terms of the controls for the land vehicle and the look for the smaller air vehicle) I love the touch of being able to enter and explore the air ship. That is something as a developer myself ive always said I would do if I were to make a game like this. And I think its a touch that players will really appreciate. Are we going to see anything like space combat? Would be awesome to see that airship fly out of the atmosphere.

The character looks polished and moves naturally as well. These sorts of things are what some gamers take for granted despite it being a lot of work for the developers.

<br /><br />
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »

Thanks man, your animations look dope.

Here's a video showing the new snapping system for base building, it also shows me failing to defend my base  Embarrassed

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »

I just finished adding a bleed system.
When you take any damage, you will puncture and start leaking out blood until you plug yourself by eating a bandage item.
The time until you pass out from blood loss counts down at the top of the screen whenever you are bleeding

While bleeding you also leave droplet decals on the ground everywhere you go so you will be able to track down wounded players

I also added a knife weapon to the game
I've also just been doing a lot of work on changing the character to look more toony to fit in with the game environment

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2015, 06:05:47 AM »

I've just about completed functionality of the bounty hunting menu.
What that does is allow people to offer up a reward to anyone who kills a specified player.

Players are able to remove a bounty from their own head by essentially bribing the game and paying twice the bounty amount.
Any players who took on the job of killing that player before the job was removed from the board will get paid half the bounty for nothing.

Eventually I'm going to use the bounty hunters board to enforce rules of engagement. If people murder someone else for no reason then the game will be able to place a small bounty on their head which increases the more crimes they commit

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »

Today I completed the bounty hunting features;

Any player who has a bounty on them will now display that bounty amount underneath their name plate when you meet them.
Once you take on a bounty job you will now have a red target icon appear above the head of the target if you are close enough to identify them.

Similarly, if you are being hunted, you will see a red sheriffs badge icon above the heads of anyone who has declared they are hunting you.

The game now also checks whenever a person is killed to see if the killer's actions were legal. It's only legal to kill members of factions your faction is publicly at war with and people you have committed to bounty hunting.
If an illegal kill is detected, an automatic bounty will be placed on the killers head for murder.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic