Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:22:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: ‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ▼‎‌ ‎T E R R I T O R Y ‍ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‎‌ ‍ ‌‎  (Read 15653 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:26 AM »

It's amazing to see how fast and how impressive your game dev is!

Although you seem to have fallen into the trap of making online indie games, as the numerous critiques on the Kingdom's Rise Steam page seem to demonstrate...

Anyways, I love your work and wish you had the money to host servers, so that more people could see what you do.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »

It's amazing to see how fast and how impressive your game dev is!
Although you seem to have fallen into the trap of making online indie games, as the numerous critiques on the Kingdom's Rise Steam page seem to demonstrate...

What do you mean, trap of making online indie games?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:59 PM »

It's very hard to build a community around indie multiplayer, just because fewer people will buy your game than the big AAA games. That makes it so that few people play on the server, which makes it so the game is less appealing, which makes it so that few people buy the game, and on and on. I've read a few postmortems of multiplayer games that say the game died after a few weeks. The same thing seems to have happened to Kingdoms Rise, where if I read the reviews, most of them say the game has a lot of potential, but no body plays, and the servers are always empty. No one is going to start a match cause no one else plays. You lack critical mass of players.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2015, 10:13:47 PM »

Yeah, you're right that making a successful multiplayer experience is hard as an indie, but I don't think that will be as much of an issue for this game. This game is not like an eSport, it's more like Minecraft where I hope players will be able to enjoy it even if they are on their own.

Currently I'm adding some non-combat resource gathering mechanics and after that I plan on making some AI guarded treasures and exploration objectives.
I think the game is well on it's way to being enjoyable singleplayer, I just need to get through these next features

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2015, 05:58:05 AM »

I like the idea of a resource gathering component!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »

Here's a video showing some of the new stuffs

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »

Been secretly hoping you would update us all day ^_^ Really great video! Nice to see some long range rifles getting love. Will there be ways to plant trees? want to make a forest around a tower and use it as an outpost. Looking really incredible though, the day/night stuff is just beautiful not to mention night vision. Look forward to more!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

I have thought about making a tree something that the builder tool can construct, so that people are able to hide their bases. I have many other structures I want to make first, but I think it will probably get done eventually

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »

I think that could be a really neat feature

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 12:20:29 AM »

Today I improved the sky and made fixed gun turrets/cannons which can be attached to vehicles
This is a screenshot of some of the sky improvement but it looks really nice at night and other times.
I'm planning on putting together a video soon showing more

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »

Look forward to it.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2015, 10:29:52 PM »

I'm trying to get the game on Steam now, it would make it a lot easier to develop that way.

Here's the greenlight link;
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493758977

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2015, 01:57:28 AM »

just watched the trailer. the one thing I noticed most was the abundance of fog and lack of shadows. is this used so strongly due to a technical limitation, or is it a style choice? I'm not a fan of fog and the visuals just look very bland due to it's heavy use. Are there areas with more visiblity and contrast that just did not make it into the trailer?

good luck with greenlighting your game.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2015, 03:30:51 AM »

Really enjoyed the trailer! Good luck with greenlight.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »

just watched the trailer. the one thing I noticed most was the abundance of fog and lack of shadows. is this used so strongly due to a technical limitation, or is it a style choice? I'm not a fan of fog and the visuals just look very bland due to it's heavy use. Are there areas with more visiblity and contrast that just did not make it into the trailer?

good luck with greenlighting your game.

I've changed the fog since how it was recorded in the video to make it much less dense.
The fog is controlled by code (by the day night cycle) and it's taking me a long time to get the numbers right

The greenlight campaign is progressing well, I'm hoping it will get greenlit soon so I can start using steam keys to distribute and test builds. Asking someone to download and extract a new rar file every time you make a change is unreasable. The beatiful thing about Steam is, once someone has registered the key, they should be ready to play whenever you ask them since the game will have downloaded the latest stuff by itself

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »

You have got to get rid of that bloom / blur.

You've been looking at it so long that it seems normal to you (only explanation that makes sense because your art is excellent) but it's the first thing I noticed. It reminds of me of this great game someone posted here a few months back. Everything was so cool. And there was this sound, this god-awful, terribly mixed WTF sound. A giant elephant in the room. Why hasn't anyone fixed that freaking sound?!

Your giant elephant is the bloom / blur.

What a cool looking fox-alien thing! It's a great design.

I think the key with multiplayer is just to make it optional. If you can make a great single player experience that only gets better with more players (and is not dependent on them) then you have nothing to lose.

Last thing I noticed. BIG RED FLAG with building management. It might be a feature that no one really cares about. You need to figure out really quick if the feature just isn't enticing. Consider your game design without that feature and all the time it would take to flesh it out. If no one wants it, you could save a lot of time to use on other things.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »

Well like I said, I have turned down the fog a lot since the video.
If there's some other visual effect that's bothering then, like you say, I can't see it.
I guess I need people to point it out with specific examples before I'll understand what the problem is

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2015, 02:56:03 AM »

Today I made the warp gates which can transport people between bases.

They work just like a phone, if you know the warp address it doesn't matter who the gate belongs to, you can dial the code and teleport through.
I'm hoping that these warp codes will be like national secrets which people endeavor to conceal or discover

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

Congrats on the greenlight !
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:26 AM »

Thanks!
and in development news, today I made a script to make the atmosphere fade gradually as you fly off planet, instead of snapping from sky to space

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic