Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:27:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMiniplanets (Mega Drive homebrew)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Miniplanets (Mega Drive homebrew)  (Read 11135 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:36:23 PM »

The video count had kind of escalated so I may as well make a devlog for this (these are all YouTube videos, in the order in which they were uploaded):

Just some silly Mega Drive homebrew. Top-down 2.5D puzzle platformer (if such a thing even exists), you walk and jump around on miniplanets (small planets) trying to solve puzzles and moving onto the next miniplanet. Since they're, well, spherical, the map wraps around when you reach the limit, and several maps require you to understand this. There still isn't much of a vision yet, but there are 15 miniplanets done already.

If anybody wonders, the miniplanet is just a large bunch of sprites (64 of them, to be exact), though that pushes it really close to the sprite limits (both per screen and per line - ouch). The look-up table used to position the sprites is 48KB (16KB for the horziontal position, 16KB for the vertical position, 16KB for sorting by depth).

No percentage meter since I have no idea what the total progress is =P

PS: does anybody know how to make lists to not have screwed up formatting after them? Extra blank lines don't help >.<
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »

Double posting since this has gone to the bottom by now >.>;

Today I designed and crammed in nine new maps out of nowhere (practically a fifth of the whole planned game) o.O I guess the advantage of making maps so tiny is that it's much easier to come up with ideas to implement, even if you need more maps to compensate.
YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 05:27:59 AM »

Wrapping mechanic can be interesting, moreso if you can combine it with other elements to have intertwined routes within small areas, for example.
As per the list question, does it make any difference if you use
Code:
[list]
[li]item[/li]
[/list]
instead of *-prefix? It is hard to tell if that is what you were using already or the forum changes the format around.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »

• Test
  • Test
  • Test

Huh (・・ ) Weird, I wonder what's the difference between the two (then again formating in this forum is utter hell, e.g. it's the only forum where I need to inject extra blank lines around blocks to prevent everything from being collapsed, I wonder what's going on).

Anyway, some delay due to Easter shenanigans, although I have nearly all of the planned levels designed now =D (44 out of 45) Will see if I can make a new video later tonight. Also I seriously need to work on stuff like the title screen and the stage complete screen.

...also I realized I'm advancing so quickly without any sound whatsoever (><)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

Lately I've been getting lazy >.>;

White background just for testing (with a dark background you barely get fading so it looks like it takes longer to boot than it does). And yeah, I seem to have missed the memo that the system can't do scaling =P
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »

Oi, I didn't think it was that long. Anyway:

Not being exactly great with videos lately... also having to make a whole new debug menu since I ran out of button combinations for stage warping =/
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »

Have been quite lazy lately on this (in part due to the release of my other game) but yes I'm still working on this. Doing some title screen stuff right now.

Silly question, would anybody here want to buy a cartridge if it gets released? (talking about physical copies here, not ROM files)
Morden
Level 0

Ugh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »

Whoa, not everyone at once! I see the MegaDrive is not the hottest of topics here at TIG. Just so you know, I'd buy it. I really love the idea. It's cute and innovative. Keep at it! A playable demo would be nice at some point.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »

Thanks =)

The problem is that the thread can be less than a day old and already be in page 3, I pretty much gave up on it. Let's just say that TIGSource isn't the best place to keep a devlog.

If anybody wonders yes, the game is still being developed, I'm just doing the "boring" parts (e.g. the stage clear screen right now, although I've been working on the ending sequence as well). Check my YouTube channel if you want to see whenever I upload a new video (though the rate of videos has been slowing down, I don't have much time to work on it or much blatantly new stuff to show that wouldn't be a spoiler).

Incidentally, here's a video with title screen and gameplay to showcase the game, if anybody wants to share it:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

holyshit that's awesome, but it's a donut right? it's a fake sphere?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »

It's a 16×16 tilemap (of which 8×8 is visible) deformed to look like a sphere.
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »

This looks really good. I like the way the planet looks a lot, it should be an interesting code. You say it works on the Mega Drive? As in, the Sega Genesis? That's even more cool.  Coffee
Do you plan on giving more to the gameplay or leave it as it is for the moment?

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:05:11 PM »

oh okay it's a topological torus on a visual sphere

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »

Yeah, or really just a plane with extreme fisheye.

Do you plan on giving more to the gameplay or leave it as it is for the moment?

All levels are finished already, so yeah. It's pretty much all "get all keys and get to the goal", level design is based more around what puzzles you have to complete to accomplish this (including different obstacles you may find on the way). There are 45 levels in total (some may be headache inducing...).
Posho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »

All levels are finished already, so yeah.

So the game is nearing its completion then? How are you planning to distribute this game?

Developer & Cartoonist
[Twitter]
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »

Won't talk about it yet. I'm gonna say that regarding cartridges, there are at least four companies I'm aware of currently involved in the business (as in releasing Mega Drive games in the present), so there's that.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »

Homebrew projects are pretty cool, doing something unique like pseudo 3D on a mainly 2D console is even cooler.

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 03:36:05 AM »

You've got really interesting game mechanics there. I like it! Keep the updates coming Grin

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »

Homebrew projects are pretty cool, doing something unique like pseudo 3D on a mainly 2D console is even cooler.

(that video is outdated since there's more stuff going on now on that screen, but still)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »

Apparently scaling a single sprite isn't enough:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic