Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:53:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Moon Fields x Combat Junior (Zelda-like x Local Versus) *DEMO*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: The Moon Fields x Combat Junior (Zelda-like x Local Versus) *DEMO*  (Read 10014 times)
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:35 AM »

We just threw up the refactor on itch.io. Yes yes yes yes

Get the demo itch.io
lobstersteve
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2016, 01:36:52 PM »

hey, wow, these environments turned out awesome Smiley
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2016, 06:03:04 PM »

Hey thanks, man!

I don't know if you've seen this one, but here's another:

We need more ideas for multiheight arenas. It's a little difficult to make them multiheight and relatively symmetrical for four players, so I think we might end up doing assymetrical arenas... and I think that might end up being fine? I dunno. I hope so!

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2016, 06:22:42 AM »

So some guys on another forum asked if I was colorblind. Then I made this big long response regarding my weird colors and lighting:

Alright, I totally get you guys asking if I'm colorblind. No I'm not, though. I guess I'm overreaching because the lighting system is more complicated than it needs to be now. I'm trying to get weird edge cases for what's acceptable for lighting my scenes.  There are two things that affect lighting in our scenes. First is an ambient light source affected by RenderSettings.ambientLight. I guess this is an HDR light? I'm unsure. It takes in values greater than (1,1,1) for what I understand are light calculations, and at least on my monitor it clamps the color between (0,0,0) and (1,1,1). The second light source is going to be a directional light that I use a normal Unity directional light. Both have a base color that is affected by an intensity value. This grid of images is ambient lighting intensity of 1 to 0 on the vertical and directional lighting intensity of 1 to 0 on the horizontal.

(more detailed image http://i.imgur.com/hwSvdzv.png)

These are my light settings. For the fighting game portion of our game we are going to look for 1) lighting that is playable and 2) lighting that is exciting and dramatic and envokes a mood that fits that scene.

The reason I'm doing this complicated lighting system is because we want to make a single player adventure mode like the original Zelda with 1) weather effects and 2) day/night cycles. I am pretty sure I'm going to need to have a range of ambient colors, direct colors, and varying intensities to make this stuff *work*. The one thing I'm excited about are the edge cases where player lighting helps a lot. This is that absolutely black corner image with a very hastily mocked up light source on a player:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:32:07 AM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »

larger image at http://imgur.com/6yLzgtK
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:42:55 AM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »

bigger image: http://i.imgur.com/I34dfJO.jpg

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 11:30:27 PM »

Get the demo itch.io
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2016, 02:40:25 AM »

This is looking beautiful Smiley

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »

Thanks Tuba!

I am fairly confident the version we have up on itch RIGHT NOW is the Combat Jr *Dream Preview* which is a name that I wrote a long time ago and I forgot and probably should bring back. The refactor is done and balanced and *fingers crossed* bug free!

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2016, 12:45:02 PM »

AAALRIGHT!!!

We applied to a convention and got put on the waitlist. I figured if we can't show there, we might as well get feedback from ya'll. We made a key for TIGSource (among other places) that'll be up for a few days. If you download Combat Jr please get back to us with what works for you, what doesn't, etc. We have an ongoing list of fixes, but we'd like to see what sticks out to people *right now*. Thanks in advance and cheers.

Edit: We *HIGHLY* recommend using 2 Gamepads (PS4 or 360/One. PS3 on Mac works, too). Otherwise the keyboard controls are listed here: https://itch.io/t/23239/gamepads-and-keyboards

https://interdimensional.itch.io/combatjr/download/x1ctB715260220su5gZTXfrL1z7FKU9Pm3tLfhy2
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:41:53 PM by xix » Logged

Get the demo itch.io
Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »

I just gave it a quick shot and it took me about 6 minutes to just get into the game. I was trying every key on my keyboard to get it to press 'start' for player 2. So yeah, some on screen controls would really help. Smiley

I didn't really get to play it though, since I was solo, but it looked fun. I'll see if I can get a coworker to play, soon.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »

Thanks Osteel. Please try to use a dual analog controller. We devved w/ PS4 controllers, but XInput will work as will PS3 on Mac.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »

I think we're going to keep the demo key public till Thursday when we show off at the monthly indiedev showcase here in MKE. We'll probably put up a build later tonight that we think is our *showcase* build. But I'll add the things I have changed since I posted 11/4:

Air Attacks for Every Weapon
Previously I thought that some weapons didn't make sense to have "air attacks", but it feels like weird friction. I might end up making unique attacks in the air as on the ground so some items might have a whopping 6 uses (neutral, push, smash otg AND in the air), but for now unless it's a special thing (e.g. moonblade's jump slash) it's just the normal ground attack is available in the air as well.

Reworked Stun System
Previously if you were to hit an enemy's shield the enemy would not be stunned and you would in fact stun yourself. I've reworked this by adding a stunReflect float on the shields and an internalStunMultiplier on the weapons so that this can be more of a dynamic relationship. Swipey or mashy weapons get less of an internalStunMultiplier so they can be used more aggressively, but pokey light weapons have a higher one. Similarly shields can now be differentiated not only by their use and weight but also by their ability to reflect stun. The small kite shield will reflect stun well but the medium shield that covers a lot of attacks won't.

Also, while shields work while not in use on the side of the player, they do not work when the player is stunned.

Get the demo itch.io
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »

Anyone know about fighting games?

I have a technical question regarding stun for attacks in fighting games. I guess most fighting games are slightly different, but in general (or in games you like) how is it treated If a player still has 8 frames left of stun when you hit them again for another 16 frames of stun?

1) Are the stun frames cumulative? E.g. this scenario would stun for 24 frames?
2) Does it pick the longer stun? E.g. this scenario would stun for 16 frames. If the new hit had 4 frames of stun would it *stay* at 8 frames of stun?
3) Does it pick the newest stun? E.g. if you had 30 frames of stun left and got hit with a quick punch with only 15 frames of stun would it go to 15 frames?

I can see both scenario 2 and 3. I can also see scenario 1 if stun frames get over a certain amount that there'd be a cap or the depletion of stun frames is a function of the total number of stun frames (e.g. if you were to be over 30 frames of stun you'd start losing stun frames faster).

tldr; Does anyone have links to very technical aspects of fighting games like stun?

Get the demo itch.io
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic