Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:20:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Lyle [DONE]  (Read 58737 times)
Fuzz
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »

Stats

Lyle is a master of thrown weapons. He summons cubes to throw as part of most of his attacks. He is the master of mid-range combat.

Sprites

Portrait - Rostiger, JMickle
Idles - JLJac, Yami, Dailyman, Rostiger
Walks - JLJac, Yami, JMickle, Rostiger
Jumps - Rostiger
Hurt - Rostiger
Cube Summon - Rostiger
Shadow Cube Summon - mokesmoe, Rostiger
Throw - Rostiger
Downwards Throw - Rostiger
Upwards Throw - Rostiger
Giant Orange Cube Summon - Rostiger
Punch - Rostiger
Kick - Rostiger
Grab - Rostiger
Pick Up - JLJac, Rostiger

Movelist

A - Quick Punch - Lyle delivers a quick punch that deals little damage but considerable knockback.

>A - Gray Cube Throw- Lyle summons and throws a weak gray cube a moderate distance.

^A - High Gray Cube Throw- Lyle lobs a gray cube into the air.

vA - Low, Sliding Kick

vA(air) - Downward Gray Cube Throw- Lyle throws an item into the ground.

S - Shadow Cube- Lyle summons a powerful explosive thrown item. Takes some time to summon, but he can move during this time.

>S - Toss- Lyle grabs an enemy and tosses it in any direction.

^S - Jump Throw- Lyle throws a gray cube straight downwards and boosts into the air. If he is carrying an item, he will throw it downwards instead.

vS - Summon Orange Cube- Lyle summons a giant orange cube. He can't move or attack until he throws it, and it doesn't go very far, but it does lots of damage.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:56:39 AM by Rostiger » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »

Please change topic to "Indie Brawl: Lyle".  Gentleman
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »

You don't have to leave the thread-making up to me or Soulliard. But I do think you should note this movelist as well:

Quote from: Soulliard

Lyle

Stats- Lyle is a master of thrown weapons. He has more ways to use thrown weapons than other characters, and he can summon cubes to throw if no other items are handy. Nearly all of Lyle’s moves involve a thrown weapon. If no thrown weapon is equipped, he will instead throw a shadow cube, a weaker version of a blue cube.

A- Throw- Lyle throws an item.

>A- Far Throw- Lyle throws an item at a greater speed.

^A- High Throw- Lyle lobs the item into the air.

vA- Downward Throw- Lyle throws an item into the ground.

S- Cube Summon- Lyle summons a cube of a random color (blue, red or yellow).

>S- Huh?

^S- Jump Throw- Lyle throws an item straight downwards and boosts into the air.

vS- Kick?

Fuzz
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »

You don't have to leave the thread-making up to me or Soulliard. But I do think you should note this movelist as well:

Quote from: Soulliard

Lyle

Stats- Lyle is a master of thrown weapons. He has more ways to use thrown weapons than other characters, and he can summon cubes to throw if no other items are handy. Nearly all of Lyle’s moves involve a thrown weapon. If no thrown weapon is equipped, he will instead throw a shadow cube, a weaker version of a blue cube.

vA- Downward Throw- Lyle throws an item into the ground.

S- Cube Summon- Lyle summons a cube of a random color (blue, red or yellow).

>S- Huh?

^S- Jump Throw- Lyle throws an item straight downwards and boosts into the air.

vS- Kick?
Please change topic to "Indie Brawl: Lyle".  Gentleman
Edited to include Soulliard's movelist and topic name changed.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:36:52 PM »

I added a move list to the first post which I think incorporates the best parts of the different move lists that were suggested. I also slightly reformatted the post.

Fuzz
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

I added a move list to the first post which I think incorporates the best parts of the different move lists that were suggested. I also slightly reformatted the post.
That's a really good movelist. Edited to slightly change formatting and removed original post because it was not really needed.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »

For the item summon move, when it says 'instantly', does that mean it teleports into his hands?

I think maybe it would be more intuitive if you switched around his S> and his Sv. Neither of them seem particularly suited to be an S>, but I think the giant cube is more suited than the item summon, uh, maybe?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »

Your interpretation is correct.

You might be right about the controls for the specials. I was wondering if that set up would be better, too. If it is, it will be easy to change, though.

shig
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »

-No kick.  Sad

-RANDOM cube summon? Make he summon a green cube if you tap, red cube if you hold(assuming that shadow cubes get auto-summoned). 
Yellow cubes aren't going to be nice, spawning a random item and all that. Yellow cubes should just pop in the arena like normal items.

-Summon Item wouldn't be a good thing either. It'd be rarely used, and when used it would probably make players rage. It would also be hard to understand what the move does. And Lyle doesn't do anything like that in LiCS.

-That pick-people-up-then-throw move that was suggested sounded pretty cool. Kinda sad it wasn't included.
JackBread
Level 0

100% fresh hippo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »

Make him summon a blue cube if you tap, green cube if you hold.
Fix'd

Yea, he shouldn't be able to summon yellow and red cubes.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »

I think random cubes will be okay because they all do the same basic thing. Blue Cubes are the most basic, but there's a chance that the cube will do extra damage (red), be used again (green), or give you another item (yellow). If the yellow cube turns out to be too much of a problem, I can always reduce its probability of appearing, or remove it entirely. It wouldn't be a difficult change.

You're probably right about Summon Item. I see three good possibilities to replace it with (which you just suggested)-
Kick- quick, with good knockback. I'm not sure it's necessary, though, because throwing is already pretty fast.
Grab- Lyle grabs the opponent, and quickly throws him in a chosen direction.
Grab and Carry- Lyle grabs the opponent as if it was an item. He can move around while carrying the opponent, and can throw it at any time. The opponent breaks free after a few seconds. This could be a neat move, but would be difficult to implement, and could potentially be overpowered (Lyle could jump off a ledge and then use ^S to spike the enemy into oblivion).

shig
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »

I think random cubes will be okay because they all do the same basic thing. Blue Cubes are the most basic, but there's a chance that the cube will do extra damage (red), be used again (green), or give you another item (yellow). If the yellow cube turns out to be too much of a problem, I can always reduce its probability of appearing, or remove it entirely. It wouldn't be a difficult change.

Wait. Does that mean you'll have to use Summon Cube to get blue cubes?

There isn't really any point in having all his A moves being basically cube throws if he doesn't auto-summon or pop cubes whenever you hit A.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »

I think the idea is that he can auto-summon shadow cubes, but they aren't as powerful as a blue cube.

For his S> I think grab and carry would be the best, as it is unique and fairly authentic. Granted it would be hard to implement but I'm sure we could figure it out. The spiking thing is easily remedied by making it so that when the enemy is dropped/thrown, they appear above Lyle (which makes sense if he's carrying them over his head).

Lyle could still grab enemies and commit suicide with them, which would be a good tactic if he had more lives than they did. But you can see in Smash Bros that many characters have this ability and it's not overpowered.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »

Wait. Does that mean you'll have to use Summon Cube to get blue cubes?
Yes. But if you don't use Summon Cube, you can still use his basic attack to summon Shadow Cubes, which are even weaker than Blue Cubes. Since throwing is quick and even Blue Cubes can do a lot of damage, it would be overpowered otherwise.

The spiking thing is easily remedied by making it so that when the enemy is dropped/thrown, they appear above Lyle (which makes sense if he's carrying them over his head).
Here's the situation I'm worried about:
Lyle grabs the enemy.
Lyle walks off the ledge.
Lyle uses ^S.
Enemy flies downwards.
Lyle flies upwards.
Enemy has no hope of recovery (barring an exceptional recovery move).
Lyle survives unscathed.

shig
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »

Can we make it so that after grabbing the opponent, Lyle can't do anything else but walk, jump and throw.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »

Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »

Here's my suggestion for a move list:

A when not holding an item - Summon shadow cube. You need to hold it for maybe two seconds, and this is the effect of the A button even if you hold some direction key, making you able to run and jump around freely while summoning.

When holding an item, A works like this:

vA- Downward Throw- Lyle throws an item into the ground, himself going upwards like an extra double jump.

S summons special cubes.

S - summon green cube. Takes about 1 second, but you need to stand still.

>S- blue cube. This cube is summoned and thrown forward instantly, making it usable as a "quick attack". Does less damage than the shadow cube.

^S- Pick up enemy. Lyle is able to walk around with the enemy for about three seconds, maybe depending on the enemy's button mashing. He can throw them like any item, their initial speed of course divided by their weight stat. If this is hard to implement ^S can be the red cube.

vS- Summon Orange Cube- Lyle summons a giant orange cube. He can't move or attack until he throws it, and it doesn't go very far, but it does lots of damage. A cool animation for this would be that Lyle has to stand still for about two seconds, because he is doing that pull animation from the game, where he grabs the ground and close his eyes. When the animation is over he pulls the giant cube out of the ground. Once the animation has started it can not be stopped, you have to follow through just like in the original game, risking being hit while doing it.

Maybe pulling out of the ground can be used as a summoning animation for all cubes but the phantom cube, being somewhat more true to LiCS? Also I love that pulling animation Kiss

shig
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »

Yes, but that doesn't solve the problem.

You wouldn't be able to use your ^S.

You could still throw them downwards, but you'd probably end up dying, too.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »

Run Lyle, run!
shig
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »

wow

That's the best thing ever. You adapted his ingame walking animation perfectly.

The only thing that is wrong here is how the arm behind his torso doesn't seem to swing/move as much as the other one.

I suddenly feel like replaying LiCS from the beginning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic