Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:07:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARCADIAN ATLAS
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ARCADIAN ATLAS  (Read 40006 times)
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »

Thanks Jimym! Now that the teaser video is done we're moving our focus onto the Kickstarter (coming April 5th!). We may extend the teaser video some more for the Kickstarter, and of course the "talking heads" portion will need to be filmed so look for those here or the YouTube page in the near future.

But besides videos, next up is getting the title screen image drawn (it will double as our Kickstarter image) and the reward tiers planned out. If you guys have any suggestions for rewards you'd like to see please let us know.  Coffee

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2016, 04:37:42 PM »

Working on Des's title screen illustration. Trying to get him & the background finished so we will have a nice looking title screen/Kickstarter image come April. Lots of other cool ideas & fun gifs we are cooking up for the Kickstarter & Steam Greenlight launches in April!  Well, hello there!

BTW, it got paged. Did you know... We released our teaser trailer?

Check it out!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Hot off the pixel press - Des is done!
Now it's time to focus on creating informative & fun gifs for the fast approaching Kickstarter.  WTF

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »

hot guy and hot pixels? well done!

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2016, 02:17:42 AM »

Guy needs more neck! more neck befitting of such dreamboatness
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »

Whoops! Spent so long elongating his legs and torso I didn't even realize his neck had become too short. This a bit better?

sonder
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »

He still appears a bit squat.  Assuming that's not what you're going for, I'd recommend overlaying him with a stick figure and making measurements, using his head as the unit.  There are images of the "average" human measured in heads around.  I forget what the proportions are. 

When I'm doing realistic characters I start everything off with the pose first, in stick figure form.  When that looks correct I overlay all the flesh and costume Smiley
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »

Arcadian Atlas Prepares for Kickstarter

Focus. If someone asked me, "What is the most difficult thing about preparing a Kickstarter?" that would be it.

One of my managers once laughed at a job posting that read, "Must be able to multitask." She said, "Multitasking - good joke. Haven't we all learned that's impossible by now?" More and more I tend to agree with her.

Kickstarters are difficult precisely because there is too much to do and not enough time to do it in. No matter what precautions or preparations you make, roadblocks are going to crop up and you're going to miss something. But we're trying really hard, and working some crazy long hours because this is so important to us.

We wanted to share some of the different threads we've been chasing down in preparation for April 5th. This has been, and will be, our blood sweat and tears for the next couple of months.

Weaving a Tapestry

The elements are coming together slowly but surely, and we're so excited to share the rewards, stretch goals, and exhilaration of a Kickstarter with you all. Here are just a few of the things we've been busy badgers at lately:

Kickstarter Campaign - you know that huge block of text and images on every Kickstarter? Yeah, turns out that's a lot of work. We've been researching and writing and drawing and punching and slapping. Rewards, bios, story and class summaries - it's all in the mix!

Extended Trailer - we had such an amazing response from our teaser, and now we're extending and improving that footage for a longer trailer cut for the Kickstarter. Who knows, you may even see a bit of our goofy faces (but not too much. We're super awkward).

Community & Press - if you've seen our Twitters, you know we have too much fun on the internet. Community is what makes this all worthwhile, and we want to spread the word about Arcadian Atlas so more people can know about it. Every article, every follower, every tailored comment helps, and we don't take that lightly.

Gorgeous Art - oh man, if it isn't the title screen image or the new character designs or the monster designs Becca is working up, it's something else that completely blows me away. We're hard at work on gifs and stills that help draw people deeper into the world of Arcadia.

Music - Mortiz is tapping his toes and snapping his fingers to a few new beats for us all as well that we can't wait to show off!

So yep, it's all happening, and it's all happening soon! April 5th is just around the corner (and believe me, we feel it more than anyone :D)

Reach Out

Seriously, if you haven't added us on Twitter yet, WHY NOT? We LOVE talking with you guys. I mean, I have more fun in 5 minutes on Twitter than I do in 5 hours at my actual non-gamedev job. Please please please reach out to us, even if just to say hi!

@ArcadianAtlas

@Tupeloshoney
@wtaylorbair

Have particular rewards you really loved in previous Kickstarters? Let us know! This stuff is for you guys, so we want to do our best to make it a wonderful experience for the people who care most. Sound off in the comments or our Twitters - we'll listen!

Behind the Scenes

And if you haven't seen them, here are some behind the scenes interviews and podcasts about our lives, our game design ideas, and whatever weird stuff we happen to be thinking about at the time!

Sibling Development Team Bring Arcadian Atlas to Kickstarter - Examiner.com

Interview with Becca and Taylor Bair - Black & White Productions

Podcast with Becca & Taylor Bair of Arcadian Atlas - Darkstation.com

And that's all for now! Back to the ol' grindstone until we think of something else to post on the internet for all you lovely people!

rentheunclean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

Awesome, looking forward to seeing how the Kickstarter goes for you guys!

Some small feedback: that kickstarter splash is pretty busy.  I have been following your game, so I know all the components and it still doesn't read very well to me, just a lot going on in the background behind the logo.

Keep up the great work you guys!
Superpowism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »

I'm typically a fan of SRPGs, so I'm definitely looking forward to this! The artwork also looks really good.
I wish you luck on the impending kickstarter.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2016, 11:50:36 AM »

Heya guys! As always thank you for the kind words and useful feedback.  Beer!
Totally agree on the KS splash image, I'm cooking up something that will read a little better and has more appeal for the real deal. I'll share here as soon as it's ready!

working on some skill icons for a lvling mechanic gif I'm making for the Kickstarter campaign! This gif and a few others will be used to explain what makes our skill, stat and job class systems unique.

Also recently finished up the sprite concept for our street-smart dabbler in the arcane arts & Resident Bad Boy of Arcadia, Fennic. You'll learn more about him and a few others within the story section of our KS.

Stay tuned for more soon!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »

Here's the finished version of that Skill Tree gif I mentioned in my last post. Obviously there will be MANY more skills in the actual game, just wanted a quick mockup to show how the system will function.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »

How do we feel about this for the Kickstarter image?

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »

Yep, this one looks much better. Smiley

rentheunclean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

Looks great!
Simple and appealing!
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »

Thanks guys :D

Here's another gif we've been hard at work on for the Kickstarter!
A pretty Kickstarter isn't guaranteed to fund, but at least it'll keep folks on the page for a while.  Wink

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2016, 12:10:56 AM »

I think the right GIF for the Apothecary is better, because the animation leads the eye to the class of interest. The racoon animation drags the attention away from the Ranger.

Since you are using high res portrait images, did you consider using a regular high res font? I don't think a non-pixel font would necessarily look bad in a pixel art game.

There are many different pixel resolutions in the skill tree. You should stick to one virtual resolution. I don't mind one virtual resolution in combination with the native solution, but two virtual resolutions mostly look odd, in my opinion.

Good luck with the Kickstarter. (Don't forget to put the link in your signatures, opening post ... basically everywhere.) :D
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2016, 08:14:50 AM »

Heya zorg, thanks for the great feedback! The font is still something we're toying around with - we have one high res font that seems to fit also so on the Kickstarter you'll see a mix of two different fonts throughout the images.

Pixel resolution inconsistencies in the skill tree gif are something I did to help fill the space of the image a little better and make it more visible as you're scrolling past, but don't worry - we take special care in the actual game to ensure everything is scaled properly. The portraits (IMO) look better in the actual game since the pixel scale is small there so the sprite & environment surroundings appear a bit less blocky.

Here's another Kickstarter banner image:

Today our musician Moritz is recording a friend playing some live clarinet to make our new Starcrossed Lovers (Des & Vashti) theme song complete. The demo he sent for this tune was already SO good, we really can't wait to hear the final version. You'll be able to hear some of Moritz' music for the game on the Kickstarter page.  Smiley

Also, my brother is bringing his recording equipment down to Austin today so we can film the Kickstarter talking heads portion of our video! Excited to share more from that soon.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »

Lil' gif to explain our job class branching for the Kickstarter.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic