Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:57:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARCADIAN ATLAS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ARCADIAN ATLAS  (Read 39929 times)
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »

I really dig this. Your love for tactical RPGs shows through every single one of you pictures.
I like that passion. Please keep posting awesome stuff Grin

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »

Thanks Igor! Your support means a ton.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »

this: became this:

aaaand another character, Princess Lucretia, in the new portrait art style as well:

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »

New dev post is up on the blog,
Character Profile: Vashti
to give a bit of insight into our heroine.

little sneak peak of the post:

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 03:44:52 PM »

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 10:01:10 AM »

New smallish blog post is up with original (best) formatting here.

Old Maps Are Out + Arcadian Atlas Newsletter

This gif, though carefully dressed with decorative plant life & painstakingly captured, was the nail in the coffin for our mapping engine. The graphical jitter and the "something seems off" ground and wall textures caused by the 2D to 3D conversion mapping engine just weren't going to work for us or for the game.

We've been working with Martin, the creator of the GTBS engine Arcadian Atlas utilizes, to bring an entirely new, limitless mapping engine that will allow for pixel-perfect map textures and beautifully lush maps a la FFTA-2 but will be capable of more interactivity/exploration options. This is exciting news for Arcadian Atlas so we hope you guys will stick around to see what we have in store for the game next!

In the meantime...

Musicians:

Hold on to those resumes, we've got an important Arcadian Atlas musician announcement to make soon!

And in other news...

You can now also find out about the most important Arcadian Atlas news via our email newsletter!

No spam, just things like the musician announcements, future crew member additions, Greenlight/Kickstarter releases, and demo & official game release announcements will be sent to you.

Thanks for tuning in. Check back soon for more.

Until next time, folks!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »

revisited Des's original portrait and made it fit the overall art style of our portraits more as well as toughen his look up some more.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »

Original, properly-formatted blog post can be found here.

Presenting: Desmond Rhines

There is no guarantee of a happy life. Desmond knew that as well as any.

While Vashti Dahlman (if you missed her profile, find it here) was soaking up the salty-sweet breezes off the Erebore coast, another man was struggling to survive poverty, sickness, and war.

This is the story of how he endured, and what was left of the man on the other side.

Casualties of War

“I’m serious; just stay behind me already.”
    “Des, what on earth are you so afraid of?”
    “Oh, I don’t know. Let me think here, Vash. Might be the dead chicken carcasses and fish heads on stakes. Met a few people with those things outside their homes and let me tell you: just some of the best lot you’ll come across. Real charmers.”

Desmond Rhines was an open and shut case. Right arm in splinters, cranium cracked, back torn open – he was a causality of war. Rolled onto a cot in the musty-aired Boultice triage encampment with a grimace of pain, he looked up at the blonde woman looming over him, forced a smile and said, “It’s been a rough day.”

He was given a week. Two at best.

And he wanted to say it was her laugh or eyes or something else terribly romantic that brought him out of it, but he was just one of the lucky ones.

An Escape

Desmond needed no incentive to run.

Born from hardy stock in the northern province of Andras, his father served as security head in a nobleman’s private guard, but fate wasn’t kind to the boy. It was a poor region, a recent drought pressing misfortune upon misery, and the populace grew restless.

One night the poor stormed the nobleman’s castle and massacred the guard, including Desmond’s father, and took whatever food they could find.

With the region left in chaos, Des’ mother fled south with he and his brother to live with an aunt near the capital city, Dantalion. The quarters were cramped, sickness spread, and the household grew hostile.

So Desmond escaped. Every day he awoke, left the house, and came back after sunset – if he came back at all.

And then his younger brother grew ill. There was no money for a doctor, so the illness spread to young Bartholomew’s chest, and within three months the boy was dead. It haunted Des. He felt selfish and ashamed – perhaps in ways he never fully recovered from.

“What can I say? He was my brother. We weren’t especially close – at least not like you and Benson, but he was my brother and I loved him.”
    “I know, Des. I’m not judging. Just asking.”
    “Yeah, I get that. It’s just – it’s difficult for different reasons. I have regrets, I’m not happy with my choices. I wasn’t good enough to him; I know that. He always just seemed… far away from me.”
    “When you talk about him, you get so matter-of-fact.”
    “I do? … I guess I probably do. I’m sorry, I just don’t know any other way.”

But he learned to cope - laughter, his friends throughout Dantalion, and conscripting in the military shortly after his fifteenth birthday helped. He never underestimated the value of life, and while he sometimes spoke flippantly, his ability to stay focused in battle and the relationships he formed on the front made him a natural leadership candidate in the Dantalion military.

His promotion prospects were good. But that all washed away in fire and shrapnel when a methane bomb exploded beside him.

Precious few survived that battle, and even fewer survived the triage centers. They did the same thing with Des that they did with all the dying: dropped him on a cot in south Boultice and forgot him.

But he wasn’t to be forgotten for long. Six months later he limped into a military encampment, asked for the general, and reenlisted. This time with a beautiful blonde in tow.

And when he stepped foot into the Dantalion Royal Courtyard, a pair of eyes trailed him. She watched as she had watched her father, the king, the day her mother was executed. She watched him as she watched all people of influence. One day the knowledge would be useful. One day she would claim back the throne so cruelly denied her. She would be powerful again.

Her name was Lucretia, and her time was coming.

Next Time: Lucretia

Denied her father’s throne, called illegitimate – the daughter of a traitor – her whole life, next time we’ll hear from the woman who would rise from the disgrace heaped upon her and lead a revolution threatening to tear a country apart.

If you’ve enjoyed this and want to be alerted when new ones come out, sign up for the blog’s mailing list below. You can also get major game updates by signing up for the newsletter to the right.

Find us on Twitter, shoot us an email, and stay in touch! We want to hear from you! And if you’re going to be in Dallas for SGC this July, send us a message and let us know. We just might bump paths!

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »

I've been looking for a good tactics RPG. Hoping this fills the void. <3 Looks awesome, good work guys!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »

thanks Ashedragon!  Beer!

here's a new Ranger attack animation fresh off the pixel press.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:36:21 PM by BBreakfast » Logged

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 07:23:55 AM »

The male Ranger's sprite concept, finished just last night! What does everyone think?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »

it's hard to see him as a male actually. i was going to say that she looks cool before reading male ranger.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »

Is it the ponytail? ..It's the ponytail, isn't it?  Corny Laugh

The Ranger isn't an especially armored job class in AA so I figured I'd embrace their lightweight, forest elfish fighting style and outfit design.

Kinda got the FFT Geomancer vibe going on -- where both male & female designs look slightly effeminate, the girl is just moreso.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 10:30:20 AM »

Speaking of looking "manly"... I Finished up Wulff's portrait last night.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 07:01:57 AM »

Lucretia will be walking herself onto the intro scene's map soon.

Osteel
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »

I really love these sprites, they feel really nostalgic. Smiley
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »

Is it the ponytail? ..It's the ponytail, isn't it?  Corny Laugh

The Ranger isn't an especially armored job class in AA so I figured I'd embrace their lightweight, forest elfish fighting style and outfit design.

Kinda got the FFT Geomancer vibe going on -- where both male & female designs look slightly effeminate, the girl is just moreso.

i think it's the top of hair the forelock?, it's not how guy usually do when they tie their hair , too much volume for a guy i think.
those sprites makes me nostalgic of ragnarok online .
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »

FFT is definitely one of my favorite games of all time, so this is very cool to see! I can definitely see the inspiration in the artwork. I look forward to seeing more updates on this!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 12:49:21 AM »

The shading on each of your sprites is so beautifully created! This is easily the best pixel art I have seen for an isometric game. I was wondering if there are a set of tutorials you swear by or if you are self-taught/academically/professionally trained?

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words & constructive criticisms!

@bakkusa you might be onto something there, hadn't noticed the hair volume until now. it will likely receive some tweaking before demo time!

@JctWood thank you! i mostly just learned from trying & trying again, but these tutorials were helpful along the way:
http://web.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/courses/frontiers-06/samples/pixel-artist/default.html
http://opengameart.org/content/les-forges-pixel-art-course
http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/

Best of luck to you!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic