Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:32:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARCADIAN ATLAS
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: ARCADIAN ATLAS  (Read 39624 times)
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »

UI is looking decent! Though that font is... not very good at all.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2016, 02:45:59 PM »

WIP of skill tree menu mockup

job class menu mockup

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2016, 02:56:35 AM »

Wouldn't things look even better if you stuck to pixel art entirely for everything? To me, it looks weird to have a portrait in non-PA while the rest is PA.

I agree about the font as well. The problem here is that you have AA in some places in the art and that font which is really bare bones pixel art which doesn't really fit in the overall theme I find. Pixel fonts are tricky as there aren't as much a variety available as other fonts.  Since you're not using pixel art everywhere, why not use a non PA font that looks better? You'll have much more freedom of choice in selecting the font as well.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2016, 04:38:29 AM »

Yes! To be honest, I'm bored of pixel art only games, but games that do break the rules must have an internal consistency to themselves. It'd work if all the portraits were the only nonPixel graphics, but I think it'd be more successful if you had thematically similar elements also break the mold (font? environment? things that have *depth* in varying ways). Just a thought! Keep at it, dude!

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »

mockup of formation selection screen!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: October 31, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

New Kickstarter update provides some sneak peeks into the menus, skills, and other foundation groundwork!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »

New Kickstarter Update: Mapping Focus

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »

Wow that mapping looks really robust hope it does get out into the wild at some point. Seeing these beautiful sprites always makes me smile : )

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2016, 08:41:56 AM »

Good going guys. Reminds me of Landstalker (awesome game) on the Genesis/Mega Drive? Different genre but the character style and setting is right there! it seems tactics games really plays to the advantages of an isometric perspective, what with a d-pad not being entirely suitable for movement in an action type game and all.

You're onto a winner  Coffee 

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »

thanks for the kind words, guys!

quick update on what we've been up to lately:

our programmer Patrick is busy implementing the final touches to our Unity cutscene editor, which will make writer/director Taylor's job directing the scenes a snap!

couple W.I.P.s:

CorgiCommander
Level 0

The Commander of Corgis!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2017, 09:48:34 AM »

Hey, I believe I ran into a couple of your team members at PAX South Toast Right a few weeks back (or maybe just one, Taylor?) Shamed me for not backing your game at the time! I'll make up for that though! Wink

CEO of Stormy Nights Interactive. Programmer, Artist, and Designer.

Breeze in the Clouds DevLog
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59947
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »

Small world, CorgiCommander! Apologies for Taylor's.. ahem.. unconventional methods  Tiger

New Kickstarter update is live now!

Check it out for info on our Scenario Editor: It's how we place troops, determine field effects, customize the battle rewards, and lots more!

Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:18 PM »

I've seen concept pixel art float around about this project for a long time, it's inspiring! and I finally found info about it via this post. You're doing an awesome job! congrats on all your hard work, and the kickstarter!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »

Thanks Zaibach! Really enjoying the look of your game TacticsV as well! Best of luck with your project ~  Coffee

DRIFT VR
Level 0

Drift VR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »

Very impressive art work and story! I miss playing these games - I remember spending countless hours playing Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana

Drift VR is a VR game that allows player to explore the low-poly universe with an AI on his/her side.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »

Thank you DRIFT VR! Means a lot.  Beer!

If you backed our Kickstarter at one of the "design an item" tiers, you should have gotten an email from us yesterday! If you don't see it, check your spam folder. If it isn't there, just let us know & we'll send it again!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »

I'd love to see high resolution fonts in this game (and other pixel games in general).

Judging by the screenshots, the typography seems to be inconsistent at times. Maybe it's just my impression from mockups that will change if implemented in the game? I think sharp non-pixel fonts can work great in pixel art games and i wished more games would break free from using pixel fonts which are hard to read just for the sake of retro nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, i like pixel-perfect games, too, but many games ignore pixel-perfection easily but strictly stick to pixel fonts. I liked the use of typography in Swords & Sworcery EP, for example.

I love your pixel graphics. Smiley
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: July 18, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »

Definitely agree Zorg! Those old bitmap pixel fonts we showed in earlier mockups are replaced now with ones that mesh better. Check it out:

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »

I see, you used the same font. That's better, but there is still a lot going on. Things that jumped into my eyes:

Typography (yellow):
1) Headline font size
2) Text font size
1?) Another headline font size?
2?) Another text font size?
3) Stats font size matches text font size (2?)
The whole second box seems to be scaled by ~120% which leads to stretched (and maybe blurry) pixels? I can't really tell because the gif is pretty small.

Pixel sizes (cyan):
1) World pixel size
2) Zoomed item pixel size (the glow looks high res?)
3?) The corners of the text boxes do not match, the second box looks scaled up. At least one of the text boxes seems to ignore your virtual (World) pixel size.
4?) High res character portrait pixel size (up to native monitor resolution?)

I don't want to sound harsh. Those are just things i noticed and i don't see a consistent usage of pixel/font sizes. Maybe it's just a problem to me? I don't have a perfect solution for this, there is no wrong solution. In this case i would probably think about one virtual pixel size for the world and another virtual pixel size for all overlays/menus (which work independently) and use an antialiased font for both (native monitor resolution). Another pretty obvious option would be to use the virtual world pixel size for the borders and background of the text boxes and use a second virtual resolution for the content.

I'm interested in your vision for the pixel sizes and typography of your game. Smiley
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: September 08, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »

New Kickstarter update is LIVE

-New music demos
-New art
-Skills implemented
-World Map
-and more!

Quick note:

Our Steam page has launched! The message boards here will serve as our main community hub, so we hope to see ya there!

(Be sure to add it to your wishlist to get all the juicy updates.)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic