Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:24:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARCADIAN ATLAS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ARCADIAN ATLAS  (Read 39985 times)
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »

This is coming along great! So awesome to see works in progress. Keep up the great work!

@OMGWTF - Going to have to check out Unsung Story.

Brace yourself.  It's currently a train wreck.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 06:58:19 AM »

Quick update on the map progress! We've been working to create a couple roof styles that maximize the amount of walkable space, so you can bet there'll be plenty of roof top strategizing in this game.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2015, 12:15:09 PM »

Original properly formatted blog entry can be found here.

(apologies to Moritz, don't want to embarrass you with this entry! We're just excited so we're sharing everywhere.  Tiger )

Arcadian Audio

When it comes to music, we admit we're kind of Philistines. We listen to it while working, sing to it in the shower, but we don’t really get it. Not in a scientific sense. Not in much of any sense, really.

But we know the songs we like, and we know why we like them.

They tell a story. If the melody or the lyric – they say something about being human that we can’t say with just words. They bore into us, drumming up smells, sounds, feelings from the past that we had forgotten – sometimes that we wish we could forget. Those feelings are tempered by wisdom and experience, and we look upon them with fresh eyes, curling up beside the aches we once had – having them again, though thankful for them now.

And that’s why this musician hunt matters so much to us, and why we’ve been so humbled by the response we’ve seen over the past two months. People – real flesh and blood people living their lives with their families, friends, co-workers all over the world – took time out of their busy, beautiful lives to contribute something to our game.

And we've learned a great deal through this process. Here's just a sampling:

It Takes a Village

I think we were pretty shocked. Yep, that accurately describes us when after the first day of posting our search for a musician and sound designer we had something like 60+ applications. We were shocked, awed, and a tiny bit overwhelmed.

Sixty applications – that’s a weighty task. And when we tallied the final number there were over 200. And of those applications, here are some things that astounded us:

•     Global Response – Austria, New Zealand, Mexico, Germany, Australia, the Netherlands, and even people in our own backyard in Austin, Texas sent applications. The traffic to our website alone on the final day of application acceptance looked something like this map with 55 different countries represented:

•     Varied Backgrounds – it’s logical to expect applicants with experience in the games industry, but not quite as logical to expect that plus film and radio experience, independent musicians, classically trained pianists, and vocal majors. Schools of music we didn’t even know existed began popping up, and every link to another soundcloud account was something new and refreshing.
  •     Community – but more than statistics, we were blown away by the people. We met new faces on twitter, read about the amazing musical influences that impacted their lives, and just had a blast delving into the depths of those online portfolios (some of which I’ve personally bookmarked for personal listening).

Arcadian Audio

So you’re probably wondering, who is the new musician already?

After several weeks of working through the applications over and over again, we began to wonder what it was we wanted for Arcadian Atlas. Did we want big orchestral numbers, somber and full of premonition? Did we want lighthearted 8-bit throwbacks to the games we loved as kids?

Honestly, we kind of just hoped we’d know it when we heard it. Sure, there were some inspiration pieces that we liked, but ultimately we wanted to hear sound that felt right. We wanted to hear something that we would listen to without pretty graphics, a plot, and tactics. In the end, we wanted Arcadia’s audio to be bigger than the game.

That lead us to a lot of standout applications, but one reverberated in our minds. Who can say why? He’s skilled for sure, but there are a lot of people with skill. More than that, he fit – and that’s hard to define.

So without further ado, our new musician & sound designer:

(TIGSource's own!) Moritz P.G. Katz

Okay, in the name of full disclosure, he has a beard. And a pretty sweet one at that. This, I can assure you, in no way influenced our decision.

Nope, because Moritz is a great tonmeister. Studying Jazz vocals in Germany, working for the German Wahnsinn Studio where he scores films, animations and audio books, he produces sound that… well... grabs us.

And we hope it grabs you too. Take a listen to his jazzy soundtrack for the game Fort Meow, and the varied musical stylings of various projects at his SoundCloud account.

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2015, 12:19:51 PM »

Think she's done? Just a background and an entire other person away from being the game's title screen.

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2015, 12:31:15 PM »

Congrats to Moritz! It's great to hear how important music is to your story. Sounds like the OST is gonna be great!

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »

We're thinking you're right, Spencer. Can't wait to hear what Moritz cooks up.

Are you guys ok with work in progress shots here? This map I'm working on is a huge job to tackle so I'd rather show progress shots than go silent for extended periods.  Panda

Here's a few tiles I've been working on:

Mat(Nerah)
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »

I absolutely love this project; been following it/you on twitter for awhile now. The day a playable demo is available is the day I can die happy. The character designs and artwork is superb and really reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

Smiley

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »

When I heard the examples of the music you were looking for Moritz was the first name that came to my mind because I had been listening to the Mort Meow soundtrack. I think his style fits well  Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »

suscribed

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »

Looks great!

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »

Liking the art and seems like you are living your dream making the game you want to make. The tactical aspect is a great add.

It looks like you don't need it but best of luck and I'll be tracking!

-Tim

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2015, 07:32:08 AM »

Two questions:

How did you ask for a musician? Did you just post on your forum or also on some job website or something?

Did that girl climb out the chimney to get on the roof?

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »

Wow, awesome to come back & find all these new replies! Thanks for the love you guys  Kiss

Two questions:

How did you ask for a musician? Did you just post on your forum or also on some job website or something?

Did that girl climb out the chimney to get on the roof?

1.) We made a blog post with detailed info about the job, which you can find here.
The link to the blog was posted a couple places, including this dev blog, the Jobs forum here on TIGSource, the reddit community r/GameDevClassifieds, our IndieDB page and it was tweeted out to my followers on Twitter.

2.) Soon to feature... STAIRS!
For now we'll just say she's into parkour.

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »

Every time I look at this it looks cooler and cooler, keep it up ^^

also,
For now we'll just say she's into parkour.
The only thing I can imagine now is her backflipping up the stairs

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »

Thanks Cakeprediction! Working on ways for her to climb up the buildings in TileD:

I'm new to the program so I'm still trying to figure out how to make the cliffs taller. Still a very WIP shot obviously.  Smiley

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2015, 07:33:28 AM »

Only another ~100 hours of work and this map will be ready  Wink

rentheunclean
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »

Looks awesome, keep up the great work!

Your knight guy and racoon monster are fairly hard to differentiate easily from their backgrounds. 
Probably better in motion, but it might be worth lowering the contrast on your backgrounds (is that what it is called to get a more washed out look?  I don't art.) or adding a hard black outline to your characters.  Seems pretty common in tactics games (the screenshot you have up there from Tactics Ogre does both of these things, I think) and would probably make your scenes more instantly readable.
BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:04 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions rentheunclean! You're right, the sprites just weren't popping off the bg enough as it was. As a quick fix I've gone ahead and darkened the shadows for the characters to 4x their original darkness. Other tweaks like maptile contrast adjustments will also likely take place once I get the maps a little bit closer to being "finished" from the foundational level.

For now, here's a mockup I threw together (incorporating those new shadow fixes) to display the gameplay elements to our programmer. (apologies for how large it is, it just looks SO much better IMO at the 2X zoom level the actual game will be played in)

We've also got a ton of exciting stuff in the works for the game. Lots I can't touch on just yet, but soon we will have updates for you guys as well as a new blog post on our website!

BBreakfast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »

Original, properly formatted blog post found here.

Programmin' Blues & Big News

Originating in the RPGMaker VXAce engine, Arcadian Atlas hit a wall.

We started with VXAce because it was an easy way for two siblings with no programming knowledge to make a tactics RPG passion project together. After all, there was already a battle system & isometric map engine in place from the community that was free to use.
It just made sense, right?
But, the more we worked on the game... the more we ran into roadblocks.

The gameplay elements we were after, the isometric maps with traversable elevations and strategic tactical mechanics we had always planned for, they just... weren't possible with that engine. We were trying to make do with workarounds & find ways to cut corners just to "kind of" get mechanics working.

We weren't going to be able to make the game we wanted to make. And even worse, we were going to disappoint the small community of folks who've shown interest in Arcadian Atlas with a hollow attempt at the game we initially set out to make.

We don't want to be just another let down of a tactics game. We need to make this game & make it right - because if we don't make it, who will?

Multi-Platform Support

We needed a new engine. Something simple enough for 2 non-programmers to build the majority of the game themselves, but customizable enough for a programmer to hop aboard & handle all the tactical game mechanics.

Late in October, RPGMaker MV was released. Supporting Javascript & HTML5 with no hidden classes, we could feasibly build all those custom elements as Javascript plugins & release Arcadian Atlas on 3 major platforms - PC, Mac & iOS.

Javascript Plugins   

We felt that with our skillset & plans for Arcadian Atlas, MV was the right engine for us. The move to RPGMaker MV has been a painless one, and with the acquisition of a programmer, we are happy to say progress on the game has sped up exponentially as we move onto the real meat of our project.

Our programmer is currently plugging away at custom mechanics that will take Arcadian Atlas's gameplay to the next level.

Just a taste of some of the exciting new elements we will be adding in the next couple months...

Mockup map made in TileD - final product will look & function slightly different

- Fully custom isometric map engine that allows us to build highly detailed & fully interactive nooks, slopes, plant life, river rapids, deadly cliffs, etc.

- Custom grid-based SRPG battle engine will be an unforgiving strategy-oriented love letter to the tactics RPG genre

- Custom Menu & GUI system with CT (clock time) system, party roster, AP (ability points) learned 1st & 2nd abilities & ability to change job classes

This & tons more is coming up in the next few months. Stay tuned here for more updates. To be notified via email when the trailer or Kickstarter goes live, subscribe to the mailing list!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »

congratz Smiley !

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic