Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:05:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGolden Statue
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Golden Statue  (Read 517 times)
Obsidantion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »

Hi,
I have made a game called Golden Statue.
The programming was done in Game Maker.
The graphics were done in Microsoft Paint.
The game can be played at http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/golden-statue/58698/
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:58:03 AM »

-Why are you using the old version of Game Maker? Game Maker Studio has some useful features, the games run faster, and the "Made with Game Maker" thing for free users is tiny bit less ugly and far less intrusive.

-The biggest issue I had was that I couldn't jump half the time. My guess is that whenever I'm moving down a slope, the game thinks I'm not on the ground. That's easily rectified by making the player stick to the ground if they're not jumping and/or checking for ground a few pixels lower.

-I'm really not a fan of games where holding Jump makes your character bounce, but it's just personal preference.

-Apart from issues with the foreground and background being indistinguishable in some cases, the graphics look decent. I like the art for the "town" and bushes.

Is this just a test/prototype? As a game, I didn't find it very enjoyable. It worked mostly fine, but it was basically, "Go there, press Z a bunch of times and come back." There wasn't any challenge or anything interesting to do/see/read. As an engine for games you make in the future, though, it's got potential if the jumping issue is fixed.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Obsidantion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »

I actually made the game a while ago, but never released it. That's why it was made with an old version of Game Maker.
I know what you mean about the jumping, and I agree.
The game is mainly to test the waters. I've taken on board your comment about wanting more of a challenge or something interesting.
Thank you for your response.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic