Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:07:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMesisos - Side Scrolling Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mesisos - Side Scrolling Platformer  (Read 640 times)
Mesisos
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »

Hi, a month ago I started making this game. I'm new to game development and programming, so It was a good challenge. I'm interested in your thoughts on level design and game design.

All of the art assets are temp. I'm currently working on skyboxes.

A,D or Arrow Key to move horizontally.
W, Up Arrow or Space to use Charge("Jump").
There are 28 levels to play through. My goal is to make 50.

Windows Download
Ver.00
RAR - https://mega.co.nz/#!GRJWXTrK!_mAdnUsLBKO0iAYLaIWYmkon74ac6YDEagfApvRXTMQ
ZIP - https://mega.co.nz/#!yZZwCThK!oV-d6sK4M2YCT4gVyJE-CIVj_5d_HtDtq36dMFlKlHY

Ver.01 Changed Gravity Some levels will be uncompleteable until I remake them.

RAR - https://mega.co.nz/#!OV43ELKY!H8Z8Yroj3-fCnyMe9LzorqpcLicaiGwxmbYweqsyZH0
ZIP - https://mega.co.nz/#!eBhBFTKA!X-Rgb82dzTW72B8j-9v1iD1kd_gRQiM2XHItsH0L3iY

Any feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:41:35 PM by Mesisos » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:24 PM »

My main issue was just with the sluggishness. It takes too long to go from starting the program to actually getting control of the character, partly because the slow zoom at the start of each level takes a while. I know I can press Escape to speed it up, but I shouldn't have to.

The thing I like least is the really, really weak gravity. I feel like half the gameplay is waiting for my character to fall to the ground so I can move on.

I felt like the camera wasn't showing me enough. With the character centered on-screen, I'm always seeing things I don't need to on the left while not seeing into the distance as much as I'd like.

The "highlight" on blue walls was a bit visually misleading. To me, blue meant "safe to jump to" so when I jumped and saw the wall I was heading for turn red, that was a bit of an irritating surprise. Maybe a different color/shade would be clearer.

I found it really strange that Backspace was used to reset levels. It's so far from all the main controls. It was nice when I automatically hit R and found out it was an option too.

Is there a proper way to quit, or do I actually have to use Alt-F4?

I played the first five levels. I thought the level elements were good and fairly interesting to deal with, but could be mixed together more. I liked the beginning of level 4, for example, but then I had to do almost the exact same thing multiple times for the rest of the level. Why not put the other wall types in there too? I know you're probably just trying to teach players how things work, but I think players can handle a little more complexity than that. I stopped playing because I was bored, despite the game handling pretty well (apart from the slowness).

The game ran fine and I didn't notice any bugs. I think the basic gameplay elements are solid but need to be used in more varied combinations early on.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Mesisos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:26:01 PM »

My main issue was just with the sluggishness. It takes too long to go from starting the program to actually getting control of the character, partly because the slow zoom at the start of each level takes a while. I know I can press Escape to speed it up, but I shouldn't have to.

Do you think I should remove the camera zoom, or just increase speed?
The thing I like least is the really, really weak gravity. I feel like half the gameplay is waiting for my character to fall to the ground so I can move on.
Hmm, I'll look into changing the gravity.

I felt like the camera wasn't showing me enough. With the character centered on-screen, I'm always seeing things I don't need to on the left while not seeing into the distance as much as I'd like.
I try and make a dynamic camera.

The "highlight" on blue walls was a bit visually misleading. To me, blue meant "safe to jump to" so when I jumped and saw the wall I was heading for turn red, that was a bit of an irritating surprise. Maybe a different color/shade would be clearer.

I'll have to test some things out. I might try outlining the object.

I found it really strange that Backspace was used to reset levels. It's so far from all the main controls. It was nice when I automatically hit R and found out it was an option too.
I changed the text to show R and Backspace. What other keys do you think would be helpful?

Is there a proper way to quit, or do I actually have to use Alt-F4?
Yes, I added back a text box that I removed randomly. It show that you can press ESC to view the pause screen and map.

I played the first five levels. I thought the level elements were good and fairly interesting to deal with, but could be mixed together more. I liked the beginning of level 4, for example, but then I had to do almost the exact same thing multiple times for the rest of the level. Why not put the other wall types in there too? I know you're probably just trying to teach players how things work, but I think players can handle a little more complexity than that. I stopped playing because I was bored, despite the game handling pretty well (apart from the slowness).
Thanks for this. I have been in a rut these last couple of days. I needed some outside opinion on my game to open my mind to things I overlook.

The game ran fine and I didn't notice any bugs. I think the basic gameplay elements are solid but need to be used in more varied combinations early on.
Sweet. Thanks for your review and commentary on my game. Smiley
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »

Do you think I should remove the camera zoom, or just increase speed?

Increased speed should be enough, I think.

I changed the text to show R and Backspace. What other keys do you think would be helpful?

Well, personally I like to play platformers using Z as the Jump key as a lot of games have. That said, Z doesn't work for all keyboard types so the other jump keys would still be kinda necessary. Using Up or Spacebar to jump always feels awkward to me in 2D, which probably affected how well I did in levels.

Yes, I added back a text box that I removed randomly. It show that you can press ESC to view the pause screen and map.

I figured that part out on my own (It was probably a good idea to have that zoomed-out view of the map, by the way) and got back to the Level Select. Nothing I did on the Level Select screen closed the game, though.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Mesisos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »

Increased speed should be enough, I think.
Ok, I increased the speed.

Well, personally I like to play platformers using Z as the Jump key as a lot of games have. That said, Z doesn't work for all keyboard types so the other jump keys would still be kinda necessary. Using Up or Spacebar to jump always feels awkward to me in 2D, which probably affected how well I did in levels.
Ok, I added 'Z' to jump.
I figured that part out on my own (It was probably a good idea to have that zoomed-out view of the map, by the way) and got back to the Level Select. Nothing I did on the Level Select screen closed the game, though.
Added an exit button on the level select screen.

I also increased gravity. Let me know if you think it better. I remade levels 3 and 4. There are some levels that you won't be able to complete with the new gravity, until I remake them.

RAR - https://mega.co.nz/#!OV43ELKY!H8Z8Yroj3-fCnyMe9LzorqpcLicaiGwxmbYweqsyZH0
ZIP - https://mega.co.nz/#!eBhBFTKA!X-Rgb82dzTW72B8j-9v1iD1kd_gRQiM2XHItsH0L3iY
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic