Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:51:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoira - Gameboy Styled Action Platformer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Moira - Gameboy Styled Action Platformer  (Read 22328 times)
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »

Is there any more after the robot boss? I seemed to have no way to go after that and no way back. To the right was a ladder up where there was a bomb enemy and an unreachable platform to the left (with normal jump at least). Maybe I completely managed to miss a path or skipped a line about a higher jump or something?

Other than that, it was really enjoyable. The power up system is really fun and intuitive. I'm also loving the music! Good job!

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:08 AM »

My thoughts so far:

- Graphics and animations are overall very good and consistent.
- Controls feel natural, power system is easy to understand right away.
- Camera seems wonky when stopping the character from moving and when coming on or off from a ladder.
- I wish the game didn't default to full-screen.

I'm also wondering how you implemented the palette swapping in Construct 2 (I also am using C2).

Thanks for the feedback, man. We'll take that in consideration, especially about the camera. :-) About the palette swapping we programmed a Shader that gets transforms all the colors getting their biggest RGB value and putting it in a scale from 0 to 100 to define which color gap (that define the 5 color tones) it will be. And oh yeah, that's right. We've been secretive about this games' color. :-)

Hey, this game is great!
The only concern I had from my play session is that bosses don't have a healthbar, which makes you kinda unsure if you're hurting them or not. It'd be a nice addition, I think!

Oh, that's actually because they're minibosses! Bosses will feature a healthbar and will be much more terrifying!

This project has come on a lot since I saw it many months ago.

I love the work on your new trailer, you've done a great job demonstrating the three top things I think are the most important in self-promotional videos:

- Immediately understandable gameplay hook
- Professionally edited and paced
- Teases the story
- Perfectly matched music

(OK, that was 4 things)

Really good luck with the Kickstarter!

Thank you very much! (actually that was our artist's first time editing a video! He's glad!):D

Is there any more after the robot boss? I seemed to have no way to go after that and no way back. To the right was a ladder up where there was a bomb enemy and an unreachable platform to the left (with normal jump at least). Maybe I completely managed to miss a path or skipped a line about a higher jump or something?

Other than that, it was really enjoyable. The power up system is really fun and intuitive. I'm also loving the music! Good job!

There actually is! It's good to see you couldn't get past this part. This way we can improve the level design. What you had to do is trigger a certain combination and use the product to help you jump higher! ;-)
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »

There actually is! It's good to see you couldn't get past this part. This way we can improve the level design. What you had to do is trigger a certain combination and use the product to help you jump higher! ;-)

I just noticed the gif in the opening post where a timed jump is used with the t.bomb Durr...?. Is that still the solution? Although that's just a single powerup isn't it, not a combination? I kept trying to jump on the bomb bubble combination thing but that didn't seem to work. 

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »

I just noticed the gif in the opening post where a timed jump is used with the t.bomb Durr...?. Is that still the solution? Although that's just a single powerup isn't it, not a combination? I kept trying to jump on the bomb bubble combination thing but that didn't seem to work. 

You can use the T.Bomb or the E.Dagger (T.Bomb + Sword, if I'm sure) to help you get past this part. And if you open the pause menu you'll see the T.Bomb is a single powerup, but each one of these can be combined to generate new spells. :-)
Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:34 AM »

Another .gif of the colored version! We're pretty proud of it! :D

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »

That's some powerful Game Boy you got there

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

Great stuff! I appreciate those carefully placed pixels, and the interesting spin on certain mechanics, like the bomb-jump.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:18 PM »

That's some powerful Game Boy you got there

A traditional Gameboy would explode if we tried to run Möira on it. Haha

Great stuff! I appreciate those carefully placed pixels, and the interesting spin on certain mechanics, like the bomb-jump.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Thank you very much, man! :D We're still planning more mechanics like that!
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »

Colored version looks good but I feel that for that image you should pick one main color-family and have all colors within it be slightly less saturated that the rest of the palette, for contrast.

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »

Colored version looks good but I feel that for that image you should pick one main color-family and have all colors within it be slightly less saturated that the rest of the palette, for contrast.

Thanks for the feedback! We'll definitely that that in consideration. :-)

Also, another nice thing we implemented: The hability to hide stuff when black and white! We'll use that to create puzzles and hidden messages and passageways!

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »

This game looks awesome, it really does have that sweet gameboy feel to it. You just made me realize that my palette swapping method is flawed, as it works on a per-object basis, instead of just applying it unto the entire screen buffer WTF

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »

This game looks and plays beautifully :D Really inspiring for my own retro styled platformer Smiley

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2016, 01:28:51 PM »

This game looks awesome, it really does have that sweet gameboy feel to it. You just made me realize that my palette swapping method is flawed, as it works on a per-object basis, instead of just applying it unto the entire screen buffer WTF

If you're trying to make something similar to what we've done you can also apply the shader in layers! That way you can have different colored objects. :-)
Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »

Having an inventory full of items is pretty common in games with RPG characteristics. Rubick's pocket is still empty, but this will change when we launch our crowdfunding campaign!
Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:36 PM »

Every monday ever....But, at least, it's one week closer to Möira's crowdfunding campaign!

aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »

My Word!
Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »

Rubick is a little too eager for our crowdfunding, somebody calm him down!

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »

Castlevania-esque candles! And what do you think of this palette?

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2016, 03:59:21 PM »

You're pretty psyched for your Kickstarter campaign, aren't you? Best of luck, since this game looks way more substantial than most campaigns nowadays!

That palette is great. I love how the cool colors push the walls into the background while the warm colors bring things forward. The brownish-reddish tint also works well on the GUI since I imagine most things there are brown or red.

Piu
Level 0

CEO Onagro Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »

You're pretty psyched for your Kickstarter campaign, aren't you? Best of luck, since this game looks way more substantial than most campaigns nowadays!

That palette is great. I love how the cool colors push the walls into the background while the warm colors bring things forward. The brownish-reddish tint also works well on the GUI since I imagine most things there are brown or red.

Thanks! We'll launch the crowdfunding campaign soon, so we will be posting more frequently for now on. Glad you liked the palette.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic