Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:12:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAëdemphia
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Aëdemphia  (Read 13780 times)
Fuzz
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »

Ha ha! Yes, I know of which thread you are talking about. Wink

The game gives you choices in different situations, different dialogue options, just like in Baldur's gate.

A member complained that the character shouldn't use Holy Magic if she can make offensive dialogues choices.

Well, it's his opinion but I thought that was nitpicking. 0___o

I think the gameplay is excellent. Don't get me wrong, just because I'm translating the game, doesn't mean I like everything about it. I've done my share of criticism and still do.

Whenever you get levels you choose how to spend some attribute points (Just like in Planescape: Torment) and some skill points. There are passive skills (permanent skills) and active skills (used in combat).

This means that you have magic points and skill points, which is nice as fighters have other options besides selecting the Attack option all the time (which is unfortunately the case in most rpgs).

You also have limit breaks (like final fantasy VII).

You can steal things from shops, bargain, do hold-ups (where you still everything in a store for free). In some occasions you can attack shopkeepers and kill them to steal their loot.

The author has polished this game more than once. The game should last about 18 hours to 20 hours and that's being conservative. Well the author redid all of the NPC dialogues because he thought they were too weak (and I agree that they were weaker before at times).

I don't want to say that whoever criticizes that game as people being jealous. I don't think it's that simple or fair. But rpg maker games usually use ripped material from other pro games so I think a game which uses all of its own custom made graphics does have quite an impact in some communities.

Now the game is created by someone who will work as a graphic designer which explains why the graphics are especially well done.

In my opinion the graphics are fine and the gameplay is fine.

I've told this to the author so I can share this with you guys.

The main issue at this point in time (in my opinon) is how the story is driven. I find the introduction lenghty and hard to follow for newcomers.

Sylvanor, the author, said he would redo it and make it more immersive.

This sounds really great, then.
Felwÿnn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »

Hello, everyone! I'm from the same community as Creation and Sylvanor, and you can trust me, his game is really great.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

I gotta agree on the beautiful environment art, but the character design leaves me a bit cold. Maybe I'll give the demo a run when I get home from work.

Creation
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »

(arf t'a réussi à avoir ton mot de passe finalement! Smiley)

@Kobel:

Are you talking about one character in particular or all of them? Could you point out why they leave you cold?
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

Those were a few years well spend Smiley woh those environments look breathtaking!

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 06:16:27 PM »

Hm. It's primarily just a lack of anything I find especially interesting. Honestly, I find most character design for commercial games disappointing as well, so you probably shouldn't take anything I take TOO seriously, but I feel like all characters within a sex tend to have almost exactly the same body type. It's very rare to see anyone deviate substantially from the most popular idealized types from animation, games, and comics. I'm not saying anyone needs to be making morbidly obese heroes (though that would be interesting too), but I'd definitely like to see more playing around with character heights, weights, and musculature.

That's just the aesthetic of the character's body though; clothes are a separate issue. I think it's a tough job to walk the line between practical and aesthetically interesting garments. A lot of people seem to just jump way over the line and make ridiculously ornate clothes which would be hugely impractical for the purpose in any real life situation. Well, okay, I accept that this is all fantasy, but fantasy tends to be truer and more immersive when you can imagine a physical person performing in the clothes that the character is in without too much difficulty. I'm actually drifting a little bit off topic here and ranting though.

I feel like a really effective character design tends to use a few very distinctive design elements that reinforce the personality of the character. I'm going to talk about the girl with the staff here. Mostly, her garment communicates a character of modesty, but there's an ostentatiously displayed navel in direct contradiction to that. Her clothes look expensive, but her hair looks wild. It seems like a lot of interesting design elements, but the design itself doesn't seem right. Maybe all of these apparent contradictions actually work within the character in the game; I don't know. I'm just trying to communicate why, right now, not having played the game, it doesn't quite work for me.

I hope that helped  Coffee

Creation
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 04:06:10 AM »

That's some pretty solid argumentation right there.

I'll transmit the information as you are making some valid points (IMHO).
Felwÿnn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »

(@Création: Non... du tout. T'as pas remarqué que j'avais mis un tréma sur mon "y"?  Lips Sealed )

I think Kobel is right about character design in general. But I've never been disturbed by Sylvanor's choices about his characters. They are not warriors but travellers so armors or specific clothes are used by Irzyka's team... but they necessary need weapons to defend themselves.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic