Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:47:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOrganizam - Camera System (Updated)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Organizam - Camera System (Updated)  (Read 777 times)
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »

Just finished implementing the camera system for my game. Basic concept is that the player does not have control over the camera. The camera follows the player, and also moves and zooms accordingly when I want the player to focus on something or give them a better view point. This camera system was inspired by the camera system in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

And here is the playable build of the camera system (via unity web player):

(Edit: Build updated with camera nudging based on what direction your facing)
http://organizamgame.com/#/play/2

Would love some feedback on my implementation of the camera system.

Edit #2: Here is the Devlop post to the implementation of the camera system

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:38:48 PM by Vacummus » Logged

Currently developing Life Of Sundura. Website | Devblog | Twitter | Tumblr
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:43 PM »

For the most part, it works great. I especially like how it zooms in when I get into tiny, closed-in areas.

The only big thing I dislike is how the medium-range camera lags behind the player's "character".

There are also little "issues" like how some areas zoom in more than others even though they locations themselves look about the same. You also have to be sure that the camera doesn't change in weird spots, like just past those first pickups. If you keep going, the camera zooms out even though you're still in the tiny alcove.

Even though this is mainly focused on the camera, I want to say that I really like how this game feels. The natural/organic movements of the "character" are great, and the feeling of force when your shield is hit by those pellets is pretty amazing. I really got a sense that I was defending against powerful hits. Making the pellets fire faster the closer you get was a really good idea that served to increase that sensation.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Highsight
Level 0

The Indie Insights Guy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:21:36 AM »

The implementation seems just fine to me, but I do worry that with such a dynamic camera, it makes it tougher to aim your shield properly using the mouse.  Considering the shield is directed by wherever the mouse is in relation to the character, the camera moving around on you could drastically alter where you are aiming.  This would be no problem for a twin-stick system, but you'll have to be very careful with your camera direction if this is the control scheme you want.

In addition, it's vital that you keep your eye on exactly what part of your body the shield is covering, but the only way to get this data is to look at the shield itself.  This can make it tricky to keep an eye out for oncoming projectiles when your eyes are going to be fixated on the character itself.  It's not a huge problem with the tech demo you've put forward so far, but it could become a much bigger problem with more difficult projectile setups.

Just my two cents, it's looking quite nice! Smiley

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »

Wow! First time posting my a build of my game for playtesting and I am impressed at how great the feedback is. Thanks guys. Smiley

The only big thing I dislike is how the medium-range camera lags behind the player's "character".

I am with you on this one. I am going to try and experiment with the idea of the camera being in front of the direction where the player is moving towards and the direction the character is pointing the shield. I think this will be beneficial because it will give you a better view of where you are heading at (or blocking from).

Even though this is mainly focused on the camera, I want to say that I really like how this game feels. The natural/organic movements of the "character" are great, and the feeling of force when your shield is hit by those pellets is pretty amazing. I really got a sense that I was defending against powerful hits. Making the pellets fire faster the closer you get was a really good idea that served to increase that sensation.

Thanks for sharing that. That is great to hear because one of my main goals is to make the game feel natural and organic.

--------------

The implementation seems just fine to me, but I do worry that with such a dynamic camera, it makes it tougher to aim your shield properly using the mouse.  Considering the shield is directed by wherever the mouse is in relation to the character, the camera moving around on you could drastically alter where you are aiming.  This would be no problem for a twin-stick system, but you'll have to be very careful with your camera direction if this is the control scheme you want.

Yeah, I noticed it being difficult to use the shield towards the end of the prototype, but I wasn't sure why. But after your feedback, I realized that it was because the camera was moving as I was using the shield. I will be using the mix between this dynamic camera system and the twin-stick system, and I'll just have to be careful on how I set up the camera movement.

In addition, it's vital that you keep your eye on exactly what part of your body the shield is covering, but the only way to get this data is to look at the shield itself.  This can make it tricky to keep an eye out for oncoming projectiles when your eyes are going to be fixated on the character itself.  It's not a huge problem with the tech demo you've put forward so far, but it could become a much bigger problem with more difficult projectile setups.

Good point. I will try and experiment with moving the camera just a little towards the direction you are pointing at. I am hoping that this will make it easier to block something without keeping your eye on the direction of the shield.

Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »

Based on your guys feedback, I was experimenting with the idea of the camera being in front of the direction where the player is moving towards and the direction the character is pointing the shield at. Here is the build for that:

http://organizamgame.com/#/play/2

It solves the problem of the camera lagging behind. But I don't think it solved the problem of having to keep your eye on the character's shield while blocking. Would love some thoughts on potential solutions for this!

I also added clouds to the build. The idea behind it is when the camera zooms out, I want you to feel like you are viewing it from far away (from among the clouds). Would love some feedback on that idea and the idea of facing the camera in front of the player.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 03:36:33 PM »

I like the camera better now. I don't know why I'd have to look at my shield shield blocking. I know which direction it's facing because I'm aiming toward the enemies. No issue with that for me.

Maybe this issue was there before, or maybe it's just on my end, but I'm getting a lot of crackling in my speakers when the shield-impact sound gets loud.

I also had a weird issue where I went as close as I could do the enemy and the shield impacts stopped making a sound. Sounds faded back in after a little while. Was that a "you're getting damaged" sort of sound fade or something? It wasn't clear if it was even intentional or not.

I have mixed feelings about the clouds. They make the setting so much less clear. I tend to think of small organisms as being in a pond or the body of a larger organism. Having clouds there messes with both the sense of scale and the perception of what sort of setting this is. They do look kinda nice, though.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Vakey Rujevic
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »

Maybe this issue was there before, or maybe it's just on my end, but I'm getting a lot of crackling in my speakers when the shield-impact sound gets loud.

This issue is on my end as well. It's low priority right now, but I will look into that.

I also had a weird issue where I went as close as I could do the enemy and the shield impacts stopped making a sound. Sounds faded back in after a little while. Was that a "you're getting damaged" sort of sound fade or something? It wasn't clear if it was even intentional or not.

Not intentional, just a bug. Also low priority, but will look into it.

I have mixed feelings about the clouds. They make the setting so much less clear. I tend to think of small organisms as being in a pond or the body of a larger organism. Having clouds there messes with both the sense of scale and the perception of what sort of setting this is. They do look kinda nice, though.

I also felt that the setting was much less clear with the clouds, but wanted to throw it in and see what people thought it. I might still use it for certain settings were unclear clouds would be more appropriate, such as a more industrial setting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic