Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:26:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunman X DevLog (ON HOLD)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gunman X DevLog (ON HOLD)  (Read 6461 times)
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:27:48 PM »

Cool Noir

I have been a TIGPatron for quite a while now. I know I have been absent for a long time and I am sorry. Some of you know me as the Freeware Ninja. I'm a huge gamer, and have always wanted to make a game. Well, I'm going to now.

*ON HOLD UNTIL I GET A LITTLE MORE EXPERIENCE*

The title of my game...

GUNMAN X

Confirmed:
Ok. Well, these are the key features.

The game will contain about 10-12 levels.

In the platforming levels, you have your main dude. These sections aren't so much platforming as they are running-and-gunning. These sections will have 10 weapons. You can combine two that you get or you can stick with one. This makes it possible to have 55 weapons in the platforming sections. The weapons are very powerful, so the levels will get hectic. Gunman will be able to cling on to walls and climb or descend them, like Knytt. Firing is done with the mouse.

The shmup levels will be standard shmup formula. You can still combine weapons, but 3 of them are not in there that are in the platforming sections. Instead there are 2 exclusive weapons. Combining the weapons in this level will add a more, bringing the total weapons in the game to 84.

There will be a boss encounter maybe every stage. I will be doing the music, which will be 8-bit.

I will try to get something up and running soon. I have very little game-making experience, so it might take a while.

(And I know I'm ripping of the weapon-combining feature from Gunstar Heroes. That was my inspiration.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:09:38 PM by Javet » Logged

The artist formally known as "Javet."
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

I suggest Multimedia Fusion 2.  Personally, I like it better than Game Maker, I think it's faster to make games in and it's much more accessible to beginners IMO  Wink

www.clickteam.com

You can download the trial, but the full version isn't free.

Plus, the forum on their website is SUPER supportive --- at least last time I checked (which was like a couple years ago).

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »

I own Multimedia Fusion 1.5, but... I don't like it.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

Okay... I need help. I need help with sprite work. Right now, I just need it with the protagonist. I already have an idle animation. I just need a jumping, running, getting hurt, and weapon holding animation. It's a very simple sprite. Anyone care to help?

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:52:47 AM »

84 Weapons confirmed!

New feature!

You will be able to combine weapons!

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:43 AM »

'could be interessted. Can you show what you already made and/or the quality-style expected?

Available for Freelance
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »

I have maybe .5% of anything in the game. I have my main chracter and his idle animation. I have all the weapons planned. The visuals aren't going to be anything special. I may do a bit of polishing afterward.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 03:02:54 PM »

So far this is him.

I call him...

THE MAIN DUDE

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »

Maybe you should just make a prototype level of what to expect in the game and show that? I think you can probably win a few more artists over when you actually have a game to show.

Not saying that I don't believe you intend to make a game or anything, please don't misunderstand me. I know how hard it is to get an artist sometimes.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »

Yeah. I'm working on a background for the first level, but I'm epicly failing. I'll see what I can do. I just neeed a few animations right now.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

You don't neeeeed an animation to get the engine running. It doesn't have to be polished, as long as you have something there. Otherwise, you'll end up looking like this kid. Also, you weren't here when this board was made, but this should probably be in Art & Design.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »

another way of doing this could be like Indiebrawl.
Start a devthread, add a list of what is needed and some technical/artistic constraint
and there you go. Because right now its just like "i need help", a bit too vague. no?
But artist (like me) like to know in what they are going before jumping in.
you see if you need 3-4 sprite, you won't attract the same people that it you have a huge project that would take 3 years.
That's what i wanted to know were you are and were your going.
Also, platformer/schump.. any detail on the gameplay? that sound interesting.

Available for Freelance
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:50:52 PM »

You don't neeeeed an animation to get the engine running. It doesn't have to be polished, as long as you have something there. Otherwise, you'll end up looking like this kid. Also, you weren't here when this board was made, but this should probably be in Art & Design.

no, i will just read the tuttoreals
UltimateWalrus
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »

no, i will just read the tuttoreals

Big Laff

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »

I guess you right, Tanner about the animations. I will try to get something up and running. I have very little game-making experience, so it might take a while.

By "I need help" I mean I'm not artistic enough to get the animations I need right.

I have decided to name my game GUNMAN X. The main dude is now renamed... Gunman!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:02:29 PM by Javet » Logged

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:58 AM »

i am not full-time available but i can help you for some sprite. I need practice and my own GMK project are too slow, says what you need, i'll see what i can do.
Go enough for you?
See the link in my sig for my portfolio, i'm more a 3d guy but i'm doing 2d.

Available for Freelance
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »

i am not full-time available but i can help you for some sprite. I need practice and my own GMK project are too slow, says what you need, i'll see what i can do.
Go enough for you?
See the link in my sig for my portfolio, i'm more a 3d guy but i'm doing 2d.
Wow! Your 3D models are very good! Your sketches are fantastic. But I say by doing my sprites, you aren't going to be getting much practice. These will be very simple sprites.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »

Wow! Your 3D models are very good! Your sketches are fantastic. But I say by doing my sprites, you aren't going to be getting much practice. These will be very simple sprites.
Thanks for the compliment but i still suck in sprite (ing?) so anyways, simple stuff is fine by me. If you're not interested i won't twist your arm Giggle

Available for Freelance
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »

No, I'm very interested.

Well, this is Gunman.

I have an idle animation, but it is just 2 frames. Up and down. So right now, for mister Gunman, I need these animations:
Idle
Running
Jumping
Clinging onto a wall
Climbing/descending a wall
Crouching
Shooting while standing/looking up/crouching
Getting hurt (just flash red)

I know its a little much, but your help would be largely appreciated.

The enemies and bosses will be inspired from game like Contra, Axelay, and Bangai-O.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:56:56 PM by Javet » Logged

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 05:13:13 AM »

i played with the Gunman a bit :D
It look like a grey monkey cyborg but we'll boost it soon :D
30min
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:44:13 AM by Border » Logged

Available for Freelance
Pages: [1] 2