Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:26:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGame Dev Collaboration Site Launched!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Dev Collaboration Site Launched!  (Read 1696 times)
nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:08:22 AM »

Hi! I have just launched a site http://www.ludust.com/ where you can join a game development project as a coder,artist,musician etc, or you can start your own project and find and manage a team.

Each dev project has its own forum, upload section, to do list and more. It is just getting started (today!) and I would really appreciate you checking it out and giving me any feedback. Would you use it? What would you like to see on it?

Thanks!

Nick
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »

It's not a bad premise, I guess, but I suspect it's trying to do too much too soon. I can't speak for everyone, but I can scarcely deal with the distraction of leaping between TIGS, Reddit, Twitter etc. while trying to get actual development done besides. Why should I invest in ANOTHER account with all its care and feeding?

I see potential here, but in order to gain momentum you're gonna need to differentiate your site from all the other options out there. What's the value added?

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:52:52 AM »

Hi Cheezmeister, thanks for the feedback!

Why should you use it? The main reason would be to quickly find a talented team for your next project or even a project for you to join. I find a lot of sites that have "find a team" forums are actually lacking a lot of the skilled members from other areas that a project may need. Writers, musicians, different types of artists, game testers, voice artists etc. Forums are not really a great way to advertise a project or your skills, or to search for members with particular skill sets.

If you do not want to use the team tools to manage the project that is no problem! They are available for people that do and I will be improving them based on feedback from users - because you are right, the site is trying to do to much too soon. I think this is day 9 for the site. Swap Skype details or email addresses instead if you prefer.

A main differential between this and other options is that this will be a true community site. The site will evolve around what people want or need. Amongst other things we have a Trello page for people to suggest features, see what is in the pipe line and to vote on what they want added or improved next.

Again, thank you for the feedback - I appreciate you taking the time to check the site out. I hope in the future you see a reason to use the site!
pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:30:26 AM »

I like the idea. So I went to browse projects, and I filtered Unpaid and Programmer - the first result was Solar Ascension who are currently looking for "+1 Level Designer, +5 Game Tester". No programmers required, so I'm not sure what the "filter" does?
nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »

Hi Pmprog - thanks for letting me know about the filter. Those two dropdowns are separate filters so it firstly showed Unpaid projects, and then it showed projects looking for a Programmer. It is confusing and I have just added combining them to my to-do list.

Just to update people on how the site is going, I have been adding and improving a lot of features in the last few weeks. The latest feature is smart matching/recommending users to project leaders, and projects to users (based on user and project profiles). You can now comment on projects publicly. I have also added developer journals so each project can keep a blog that all site readers can see and comment on. And plenty of smaller things Smiley
IonForceStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »

@nickofnight, for me, the idea is brilliant!
When have you started with this project?

nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »

@IonForceStudio thank you so much!

I started work maybe three months ago and launched 6 or 7 weeks ago. It is a work in progress and I am trying to improve it on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:49:05 AM by nickofnight » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 05:57:37 AM »

I like the idea, but the website design is pretty bad as of now, from my point of view. The thing that looks very bad is the "control panel", I think. There are those 7 blue buttons that do the exact same thing as the ones on the top of the page, and that's distracting. Additionally (I'm nit-picking here), the "log in" & "sign up" text-buttons are very small and don't react to mouse hover (you'd expect them to react in this day and age Tongue)

I feel that "On the forums" & "Member Statistics" should be below projects, since it's just additional info.

The registration form feels too loose (I don't think it's a good thing to have Profile Details next to Account details, when Profile Details spans much farther than the former). Perhaps you should scrap the non-essential forms like "LinkedIn URL", "Portfolio URL", "Tox ID", "Skype ID". The "Please share any prior experience:" text is lower than it should be.

The "This field can be seen by: Everyone Change" - "change" doesn't look like a button, it's just a regular text. Perhaps give it some gray rounded-rect highlight?

I suppose the design is a WIP anyway, though.

@EDIT
Also, pleasee ditch the white text-shadow on member information text, because it makes it look like JPEG compressed image.

TL;DR the idea is nice, but the website drives me away, because it's supposed to look professional, but it doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 06:05:48 AM by kamac » Logged

nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 06:31:57 AM »

Hi kamac,

It is so useful having feedback on the design. I have been working on the site a lot recently and the design is "just there" - its hard to step back and see what works/what doesn't and look at it objectively.

I will take this on board and redesign the menu. You are right, I practically have two and one is superfluous. I will probably lose the top menu and improve/neaten the other menu.

"I feel that "On the forums" & "Member Statistics" should be below projects, since it's just additional info."

Again, that is totally valid, especially the statistics (I am trying to push the forums a little which is why they are there) and I will swap them around.

I will have a look at neatening the registration form too - people can always fill in the non essentials once signed up.

But.. the white text shadow, you go too far sir  My Word!

Seriously, thank you for the feedback and if you have any further ideas please let me know. These are small changes and will make a big difference to some people.

I do have a new logo and some theme changes coming soon too.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

This is a great idea, I think the design is fine (simple and clean), maybe it can be improved a bit, but overall it's fine.

I think a rating system would be necessary, to rate those members who have worked with us and others can see if they are serious about their work, etc. That's a must!

Great work! I'll keep an eye on this one.

nickofnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »

Thanks guille! I agree about the ratings system and I want to get that implemented soon.

I can't decide how to do it in a way where it can't get abused too much. Should people who leave a rating for a member also leave feedback to explain why it was low or high? Or should there be a bunch of categories to rate them on out of 10 - like work ethic/quality/meeting deadlines?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I would love to hear suggestions.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic