Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 11:28:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Death Worm Stage Design
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Death Worm Stage Design  (Read 32909 times)
godsavant
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »

Undecided

I really like this idea! I think this could work!
PlasmaMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »

You could make the lower platforms boulders that the worm  can push around, and leave the higher platform as is. That would adda  nice shifting platforms element.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »

I don't see any realistic way that could work. Boulders would have to be solid walls, rather than platforms.

godsavant
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

Smiley?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:34:32 PM by godsavant » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »

The ground definitely looks nicer. And the platforms look a lot more like rusted metal.

godsavant
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

On a sidenote, I just remembered that Death Worm used music ripped straight from Streets of Rage II; however awesome that soundtrack was, unless we want to bother Yuzo Koshiro, we obviously can't use that music for this stage. The question is, should we just edit the hell out of it? Or write a 'spiritual remix' that stays in the same style, but doesn't infringe on copyright?
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »

Or write a 'spiritual remix' that stays in the same style, but doesn't infringe on copyright?
I'd go for this.
Some heavy bongo percussions and stuff  Wizard
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »

I'd say we use a remix of music from another indie game (if the music fits, of course).

That way, games that have great music (but no stage) still get referenced.

Failing that, a spiritual remix would work, too.

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

I still believe it should be segemented, so the jump could have different angles and distances.
This would be rad, but it will be hard to get it to work with the outlines. We want a consistent outline around the whole thing, which I don't get how we would do if the worm was made of separate sprites. One segment would have to be in top of another, and then you would see the outline of that segment in front of the other segment, cutting the worm straight over. If you do not draw the outline at the segment's "front and back" but only at it's sides it will crack up when the worm is bent.

Only way I can think of to solve this is by having an entire set of segments behind all the other segments, those being slightly bigger and black. And since we are already dealing with at least 10 big sprites moving around and rotating, I don't think the game would run any faster by making them 20.
I already gave a suggested solution:
Suggestion: For the whole segmented thing, make a complete outline for each part, but make that separate from the colored-in part. When in-game, put the colored-in parts in front of the outlines, so there's one continuous outline around the whole thing, rather than having each segment outlined separately.
But whatever.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »

The bit that connects the top platform to the left platform doesn't look like it's attached to anything.

Other than that, fucking A!
godsavant
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »

Thank you.

Now with shadows, and some other things  Hand Thumbs Up Right:

Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »

The one problem I have with it is that the bottom is apparently flat, but the 'nails' connecting the platforms are coming out of the background.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »

The 'nails' are behind (on the back of) the platforms, therefore also behind the ground directly below.

Let me use a side view picture to show whats happening:
| nail
_ground
= platform

|
|=
|
|
|_
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »

Which just goes to show that they are FUCKING BIG NAILS!
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 06:25:02 PM »

I guess what I'm trying to say is the weird perspective thing - although we have a flat floor for the fighters, we've got the desert sloping off into the background.

...But whatever. I guess this was already settled, so don't mind me.
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »

I think it looks fine, although I can see what you're saying.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »

Awsome work godsavant! I really like that texture.

What I think we seriously have to consider is the shadows. The sun is at the right, and still the shadows from the background objects are to the right. This would be easily fixed by moving the sun, but the shadows on the platforms and nails are falling to the left, making that troublesome. Also the sun is obviously behind the whole scene, why the shadows from the nails would have to stretch towards the camera rather than away from it.

Maybe we want to replace one of the lower platforms with a wreck of a tank or a plane, just to make it more interesting?

Sorry plasticware, I must have missed that post. Seems like we had the exact same idea, but it still don't think it's very good. It would be a hella lot of grafics to move around each frame.

EDIT: And yeah, about the pipes... When the worm is moving in the background we'll have to mask it against the nails, will that be troublesome? Maybe we can have it only appearing at a few fixed positions. Still it would be awsome if it shortly before it came into the game area appeared pretty close to the camera, almost real-size. That can not be achieved without masking out the foreground, even if we have the floating platforms. Is it possible to simply make the foreground a separate sprite layer?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:57:17 AM by JLJac » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:37 AM »

Maybe we want to replace one of the lower platforms with a wreck of a tank or a plane, just to make it more interesting?
That would probably make the platform look solid, which would be confusing.

And yeah, about the pipes... When the worm is moving in the background we'll have to mask it against the nails, will that be troublesome?
Not if the background and nails are on separate layers.

godsavant
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »

Awsome work godsavant! I really like that texture.

What I think we seriously have to consider is the shadows. The sun is at the right, and still the shadows from the background objects are to the right. This would be easily fixed by moving the sun, but the shadows on the platforms and nails are falling to the left, making that troublesome. Also the sun is obviously behind the whole scene, why the shadows from the nails would have to stretch towards the camera rather than away from it.

If you're talking about that sphere in the sky...that's the moon.  Embarrassed I guess not everyone's been to a desert. I'll try to fix that.

Angry
I have spent countless man-hours on this suggestion, and I can say that I am absolutely sick and tired of trying to make this idea work. If you absolutely must have your goddamn tank and plane wrecks, I can add some in the background , but I seriously don't feel this is feasible, compared to the workable setup we have now.

Sorry, just a bit frustrated over the recurrence of this idea.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2009, 09:47:41 AM »

Haha ok sorry, never mind the wrecks :D

Maybe it don't have to be a full moon? If it was just half a circle everyone would get it immediately.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic