Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:45:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNIFTY
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: NIFTY  (Read 15161 times)
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »

It's been a while since I last said anything here.

Nifty isn't what it was when I first described it here. I had an idea of a simple game with a couple different styles of blocks of which could be clicked on to change into different blocks. Now it's basically everything Tongue. The most common thing though, is using files (included or created in the "folder" folder) to interact with the game in weird ways. I can't really describe the gameplay well, because as you move on through the game it becomes more and more diverse. 

The whole basic idea is to do what it tells you to do, then move on to the next level once you have done it. A little "Finish" button on the bottom does this. If you did it all right, you will move on after clicking it. If you even made one tiny mistake, it will scream at you in it's evil ways.

I'll let you figure the rest out yourself, but here are some screenshots to get a better idea of what this game is all about:

Ok, I admit, that last one doesn't explain a single thing about the gameplay.

Also, I am just about done with this game. Every level is completed. I'm just looking for bugs or other weird things that I don't want, which is why I would like some feedback. I have the download right down there.

Newest version:
http://thrompd.mindstage.org//directoryofyes/Nifty.zip

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:41:22 AM by Mr. Yes » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »

Wow, it looks awesome Grin The backdrop tiles remind me of the C=64.

Are you going for PSP resolution?

Also, when can we play this?

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:56:39 AM »

Wow, it looks awesome Grin The backdrop tiles remind me of the C=64.

Are you going for PSP resolution?

Also, when can we play this?

Thank you!

The resolution was just picked out of the blue. So no, I was not intending for that. I don't know when the game will be done, but I've pretty much just started making levels at this point so it may take a little while. I'll probably have something playable soon though, maybe like 1/4 of the game.

Thanks again for the comment.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »

The concept looks interesting. Post a demo as soon as you can so we can try this baby out! Smiley
Later!

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 04:23:24 PM »

http://thrompd.mindstage.org/stuff/Nifty.zip

I just quickly turned everything I made so far into a beta type thing. Not properly tested, but I'm sure you guys can do that for me while you play it.  :D

Well it was tested, I just didn't go looking for bugs or anything. Well anyway, tell me what you think of it so far, what you've got there is 8 quick levels. Or maybe not so quick, depending on how fast you are at figuring them out.

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »

You should rename this game to 'cryptic' or something. At first I had no clue what to do and in level 5 where I'm stuck this is still the case.

To put a savepoint every 5 levels is an awful design decision as are the HP. But that's probably a good thing in a B-Game competition. Also a 'reset level'-button would be nice.
Oh and I didn't spot any bugs.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »

You should rename this game to 'cryptic' or something. At first I had no clue what to do and in level 5 where I'm stuck this is still the case.

To put a savepoint every 5 levels is an awful design decision as are the HP. But that's probably a good thing in a B-Game competition. Also a 'reset level'-button would be nice.
Oh and I didn't spot any bugs.

Thank you for the comment!

This isn't for the B-Game competition, so I will definitely do something about the HP and savepoints. I want to add some challenge still, so I'll try to replace it with something a little better. I'll also add in a reset button as you said, that is a good idea.

And I actually wanted people to get confused by the game, so I guess I'm doing okay with that, heh.

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »

This isn't for the B-Game competition
Ups, sorry! Just glanced at this thread rather quickly, so I kind of missread it or something.

As for the savepoints/HP. I think the game is challenging enough as it is. It's either make or break so solving a puzzle a second time is no challenge but a tedious task. Preventing bruteforce is probably the only thing the HP are good for.
If you really want to punish the player it might be a good idea to add a new condition/instruction. But it should be a simple one, possibly one that he knows form a previous level.

And a 'game' of a similar kind is http://deathball.net/notpron/. Similar in the sense that you have very few (or no) instructions and the goal is to reach the next level. There is no need for savepoints to make this one of the most bloody challenging games I know.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:33:02 PM »

Argh. I had no trouble with the first two, but level 3 is kicking my ass Sad.
Edit: Oh you tricky motherfucker... HOW CAN IT BE SO SIMPLE Cry.

Anyway, great fun so far. Can't really think of anything to suggest, besides things the bee guy already said.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 06:37:33 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 03:02:00 AM »

Once again, thank you very much! I'm glad I didn't make too much before you said this, because at this point I could pretty much change anything.

Okay, so I'll get rid of HP entirely, then add a 'reset' button, and perhaps then think of a new rule for the game (as well as find something to fit in that empty space where "HP" use to be Tongue).

EDIT: Okay, I fixed those two problems. This is how it is:

I added a "reset" button, and something else. Instead of "HP", there's Nif! He's your little pal throughout the game! When you press "finish" and you didn't do it correctly...

Nif gets hurt! You don't want this little creature getting hurt, do you? No! So be careful!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 04:33:06 AM by Mr. Yes » Logged

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:49:24 PM »

Cool game!

One sugestion: perhaps right mouse button could cycle backwards for the tiles?
It kind of felt like it should work that way when I got stuck on the third puzzle...

Anyway, it's an awesome project. It's nice to play a game where the rules aren't spelled out in a really long boring tutorial... Just figuring it out is what it's all about.

-Mike
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 04:01:56 PM »

Cool game!

One sugestion: perhaps right mouse button could cycle backwards for the tiles?
It kind of felt like it should work that way when I got stuck on the third puzzle...

Anyway, it's an awesome project. It's nice to play a game where the rules aren't spelled out in a really long boring tutorial... Just figuring it out is what it's all about.

-Mike

Thank you, and I was thinking of doing that right click idea, but never did. Thanks for reminding me of that, I'll put that in now.   Smiley

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »

Ok, it's been a week or so since I last posted in here about Nifty, so I'm just going to post about the progress I have made since then.

First of all, I think I've taken and used every tip and idea given in this thread, so if you suggested something, it's probably in the game right now. I added only two more levels since releasing the beta, but I've been doing plenty of things with the game other than that.

As I stated earlier (or at least I think that I did), this game will play in different ways as you go on. Here is one example:

In this mode, you aren't able to click on the blocks to change them. You need to rely on the gun to the left of the screen to shoot them, which results in them changing. The gun is always pointing at the cursor, so you can easily aim. Later, you may see blocks that you can destroy with the gun in order to get to others. As I continue to make levels, I will have more ideas for how they will play.

I won't be releasing any more versions of this game publicly until the full one, because it would be a shame if everyone was already bored of the game before the full version was even out.

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9RVFaYb0Eyg
Here is a video of what I have just explained.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 03:54:13 PM by Mr. Yes » Logged

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »

Okay, the newest version is out.

It changed quite a lot from the first version, but I'm sure there's still a lot wrong with it that needs fixing. So help me out here and tell me what those things are! Smiley

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 05:33:57 AM »

-I have to start from scratch every time I quit, and me no likey.
In the main menu, my options should be START / CONTINUE FROM LAST LEVEL (even if I can't "read" said options).
Colored tiles under CONTINUE can serve as a level select.
-The hint for level 4  is    #(green) + #(blue) =  #Purple.
A more apt description : #(green) + #(blue) -> #Purple.
-(programming bug) Hovering over a hotspot (like QUIT) activates sound effects, even after I minimize the window.
Stop reading mouse variables once the window is minimized.
-Nif is a nice touch, and he could be the game's control interface too. Drag and drop him to the background to quit to the menu, drop him in the puzzle to reset, double click him to enter fullscreen mode. That way your interface is like a fun (and logical) puzzle too.
-In level 13 I get this error after I destroy one of the number blocks and press finish:
ERROR in action number 29 of Mouse Event for Left Pressed for object FinishButton:
Error in code at line 1:
if (101376).sprite_index=Four
at position 13: unknown variable sprite_index
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:44:57 AM by bigbossSNK » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »

Quite interesting!

I played a bit. BigBossSnk pretty much said it all but here are a couple of comments...

First, I feel like the hints should be a bit clearer for the player. Also, make sure that all hints follow the same logic. For instance, the tip form level 4 is using the # signs a plus and the equal sign. Which means, the number of blues + the number of greens = the #of purple. In reality, what you are telling us is: turn all blues and green to purple. If you want to use that arithmetic approach, I suggest that you make it that the total of purples needed doesn't equal all available blocks. Remember that if a solution to your puzzle can be achieved by using a simpler, easier to understand rule, the player is going to feel frustrated. It's a bit of a tougher job when testing the puzzles but it pays off in the end.

Besides that I think it would be fun to know why there's a character on the screen. Also, the main menu is in another language than the rest of the game (in english). Player shsould know exactly what they are selecting in a menu. If you decide to make the game in a language, stick with it through the entire game. You could add the option to change language at the start of the game if you want to have multiple languages.

I'dd personaly make the sound played when pressing the finish button when the level isn't completed less aggressive. It really felt annoying with time. I like how the screen shakes but I feel the sound effect is a bit too strong.

All in all, very nice!
Keep it up!
Later!

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 12:42:45 PM »

Shocked Whoa! Both of you, thank you!

BigbossSNK:
-I actually was going to have it bring you to where you left off, I just haven't done it yet (notice how the second menu item is unclickable).
-Thanks, I will definitely change that.
-Not sure how to solve this problem, but I'll look into it more. Thanks for pointing it out.
-That's a nice idea. I may take your advice here, but probably not in the same ways as your examples.
-Yes, someone else found this problem. I updated it so that there's no longer an error. Thank you though.

Guert:
I guess what I'll do is add four extra blocks to level four, and letting you win if eight purple blocks are there. I'll also find whatever other problems there are with the other levels.

I'll probably give some explanation for why Nif is there later on in the game, I never really thought of doing that. And the menu isn't in a real language at all, one of my goals in the game was actually to confuse the player, this being the first step to that. But I agree with you now, and will change it right away.

I wanted the sound to be surprisingly loud compared to the other sounds to sort of shock people, but if it's annoying then I'll make it quieter or use a completely different sound.

Anyway, thanks again, you were very helpful! Grin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:01:08 PM by Mr. Yes » Logged

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 11:53:30 PM »

START
CONTINUE   (This is standard game convention for menu item order, broken rarely
(OPTIONS)   or by games with more menu items)
QUIT

So long as you don't jumble the series, you can do away with English all together.
As for the puzzles, I consider having to open folders and documents to be a nuance. Nif can dish out the same information, making the game world that much more engrossing.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »

I changed the two buttons to be "Start" and "Return", which seem similar enough. I don't really think an "Options" button would be necessary, but I may add it later if it's needed. "Exit" is something I never thought about, heh.

Getting rid of all English wouldn't work out, because the whole story of the game and all the events that take place wouldn't be able to be done any other way than with text. So I'll just make English the only language.

Getting clues from files was never meant to be a great experience, just a simple idea to make things slightly harder. The Nif idea, while good, wouldn't really suit him. I made Nif as a character that you need to protect throughout the game, not as a character that helps you in any way (which is why he gets hurt whenever you didn't do the level correctly). I suppose I could go even further with that idea as well.

Thanks once again, some nice advice. Wink

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2007, 11:35:10 PM »

Nifty indeed. Loved the "upward arrow" puzzle. Took me a while, admittedly. Level Eight's a Doozy though. I guess when a game's hint is "I DON'T KNOW!" it's high time I clear out.

Seriously though. I DON'T KNOW! That's 'arsh.

EDIT: Know what? Never mind. Also, little guy up the top. Adorable.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:39:08 PM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic