Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:45:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsSpaced repetition flash card command-line app in C, Bash or Python
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spaced repetition flash card command-line app in C, Bash or Python  (Read 3958 times)
notstrom
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »

Hello, could anyone show me how to program a very basic spaced-repetition flashcard application for the command line? In a nutshell I'd like to know how to implement some sort a vocabulary trainer that shows a particular card more often if it's not well known and is able to keep track of statistics across sessions (similar to anki, mnemosyne, granule, jmemorize, but very, very basic and instructional). Thank you!
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »

Hello, could anyone show me how to program a very basic spaced-repetition flashcard application for the command line? In a nutshell I'd like to know how to implement some sort a vocabulary trainer that shows a particular card more often if it's not well known and is able to keep track of statistics across sessions (similar to anki, mnemosyne, granule, jmemorize, but very, very basic and instructional). Thank you!
    Ooh, that's all really good stuff. Unfortunately that's not the sort of thing you ask others to show you. Sounds like you've got worked out what you want. If I were being sarcastic right now I'd say:
    All you need to do is
    • write a vocabulary trainer.
    • that shows a particular card more often if it's not well known and
    • is able to keep track of statistics across sessions.
    Break it down:
    • write a vocabulary trainer. This means you'll need a data structure that keeps a question, a right answer and a number of "distractors" which it will then display in random order.
    • that shows a particular card more often if it's not well known - So you'll need another data structure that keeps track of when you answer questions correctly. You'll also need a queue structure.
    • is able to keep track of statistics across sessions - This means storing all relevant data in a file. So you'll need to study file I/O.
    Now tackle each problem the way you'd eat an elephant. One bite at a time.
    [/list]

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
    Follow me on twitter
    notstrom
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:05 AM »

Touché Wink
    Dacke
    Level 10

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:15:39 AM »

I say: choose a language and read a tutorial for it. A good, basic tutorial will give you enough knowledge to figure out how to make that program. Personally I like Java. It has a great, standardized API (containing loads of useful classes) and good official tutorials.

But anything works. Python is probably a great choice too.

programming • free software
    animal liberation • veganism
    anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
    Derek
    Bastich
    Administrator
    Level 10

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:26:36 AM »

Don't create a new thread for a tutorial request.
    Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic