Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:40:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTerminal Rain \\ Cyberpunk roguelike with ASCII lighting and weather effects
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Terminal Rain \\ Cyberpunk roguelike with ASCII lighting and weather effects  (Read 8495 times)
no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »

TERMINAL RAIN

Search for meaning in an cyberpunk city sprawl.
Avoid the crushing influence of mega-corporations,
With only the neon light to guide you…

blog - twitter

SUMMARY

Terminal Rain is an open-world cyberpunk rogue-like where you hack your way to fame and fortune before your inevitable demise. This blog post outlines my design goals for the game.

Visually, this game takes strong inspiration from the terminal graphics of traditional roguelikes. I've been building my own 256 square tileset that includes upper and lowercase letters, punctuation, and a few of my own symbols. I'm building the lighting and effects myself with the goal of having a lot of lights everywhere in the environment reflecting off the rain-slick streets.

What do you want to see in a cyberpunk game? What do you want to do? Where do you want to explore? I'm eager to hear what you think!

NOTES

• I started this game in 2015 and took a long break because I just wasn't a strong enough programmer to manage it. I've come back to it and have been making a lot of rapid progress lately. The bad news is that my old screenshots are gone from this thread, at some point I'll be making an effort to rehost them.
  • Thanks Thaumaturge for helping me come up with the title!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:30:07 PM by no1hitjam » Logged

Mya
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 02:06:58 AM »

Hello!

Looks nice so far - looking forward to seeing more Smiley

What kind of gameplay mechanics are you going for?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:17 AM »

always nice to see people do cool looking stuff with good old ASCII
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:01:38 AM »

I agree with the above; this looks great!  I can't help but be curious about what the game itself is going to be like, though.  Mechanics, characters, etc.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »

Thanks guys!

Mechanics are a bit up in the air right now. My top priority is to make the player feel like they are truly inhabiting a cyberpunk world and be able do all the things they'd want to do. From surviving, to playing with future tech, to sabotaging futuristic mega-corporations, to robbing mega-banks.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »

Added neon signs, more colors for lights, widened the tiles by 1px, and did some more behind the scenes stuff:

Oh and I'm blogging about this game here as well.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »

Added some basic player interaction, ie: looting a dumpster for a burger.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »

I like your style, very unique! the lighting is nicely recreated. took me a while to figure out, that the player is the @ symbol. If you plan on cheating, I would think the player character would be a deserving choice.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »

took me a while to figure out, that the player is the @ symbol. If you plan on cheating, I would think the player character would be a deserving choice.

it's a classic roguelike thing

anyway game's still looking nice!
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 12:40:07 AM »

this looks dope, will follow!

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 01:22:20 AM »

not usually interested in ascii stuff because i like colours but this has REALLY NICE colours and the weather and lighting look super good and i love how the letters on the building blink and i want to see more of this
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »

Looks charming!

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »

Just updated intro post, and my avatar and username. From now on I'll be creating this game under the psuedonym 'Capsule.' Google says there aren't any other prominent indies using this name but let me know if I'm wrong.

A few weeks ago I decided I was done with my visual demo and evaluated what I wanted to do next. I decided to stop working in JavaScript and rebuild in C++ using SFML to render. I also started building my devblog site and other general promo stuff. I know I can make some cool looking cyberpunk visuals (thank to your feedback guys) so with this C++ build I'm prioritizing the stealth combat gameplay. Tomorrow night I'll post a gif here with what I've made.

BTW I switched to C++ basically to take advantage of SFML's sprite tinting (which is way faster than PIXI's), threading (nonexistent in JS), and a nicer debug environment. I needed to rebuild anyway because my demo was super hacked together and there are a couple of core design decisions I wanted to change. From what I've heard, rebuilding after the prototype is fairly common.

Anyways, thank you guys for the support.

marcgfx: Like Silbereisen said, it's fairly common among roguelikes. That being said it is important for the player to know where they are so I'm probably just going to make the '@' icon brighter than everything else to make it easier to spot. Also in the new build, the player is always in the center of the screen so that should help too. Thanks for the comment.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »

Working on my stealth prototype. Here's some basic guard detection.

GrumpyGiant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »

unicode lighting

lolwut

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 05:50:08 PM »

WELL about 2 years later I've decided to start at this one again! I really got dragged down by my own inexperience last time but I've grown quite a bit as a programmer and I've come up with a solid mechanic to base gameplay around (secret for now Wink) so without further ado here's a gif of the new build!

I'm building this in C# now and I've been able to move a lot faster by having a better structure for the world. The big things I want out of this are lots of lights, lots of buildings and lots of people. Right now the lights are looking good so it's time to figure out how to generate lots of buildings (WITH interiors).

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »

that is one awesome looking update. the exterior especially is gorgeous
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »

That exterior is excellent

And more sci-fi ASCII roguelikes is always a great thing, as is more cyberpunk

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:10:04 AM »

Nice revival - the new shot looks very cool! The colors are really compelling - I definitely want to see more  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »

Welcome back!!! Glad to see you back in action.

Inexperience will lead to more and more experience Smiley

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic