Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:08:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTerminal Rain \\ Cyberpunk roguelike with ASCII lighting and weather effects
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Terminal Rain \\ Cyberpunk roguelike with ASCII lighting and weather effects  (Read 8500 times)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »

this looks sweeeeeet.
post more!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »

I've been doing some work on this! I've really beefed up the motel interior, added NPC's with random movement, and gone further with the lighting engine, having interior lights light up windows on the outside, and neon lights outside shine back into the windows! I've written an introductory blog post here and I'll have more to show in the coming days!

Here's an interior shot of the motel:

blog post with more details

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »

Looking cool, and reading through from the first post I didn't realize the project had been inactive for 2 years. It's exciting and inspiring that you've come back to it!

The GIF a few posts back isn't appearing for me.

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »

Looking cool, and reading through from the first post I didn't realize the project had been inactive for 2 years. It's exciting and inspiring that you've come back to it!

The GIF a few posts back isn't appearing for me.

Thanks! I'll have to look around for those old gifs, they're somewhere on my hard drive.

I've been getting a lot of work done on it, here's a link to a blog post that goes into a bit of detail. I just now got moving vehicles in the street that I'm pretty happy with, here's a gif of what it looks like:

It's a bit smoother in game, I just recorded the gif at low FPS so it wouldn't be too huge of a file.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »

That gif is looking super sweeeeeet! Smiley

rarelikeaunicorn
Level 0

Just keep walking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »

These colors are so dreamy!  Kiss

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 11:38:07 PM »

Wow.. the neon-city vibe really comes across!  Gentleman

Nrin
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »

I love the way you approached lighting! It really sets up the atmosphere.
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »

Beautiful

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:10 PM »

Thanks everyone, the positive feedback really means a lot to me, it's what helps me keep going. The lighting is really important to get right, and I've continued to make subtle passes on it. Otherwise, I was in a bit of a rut but I decided to flesh out the alleyways and other buildings on the block.

EDIT: This gif really shows how I'm going beyond ASCII in a way. While I'm staying in the 16x16 number of tiles that extended ASCII restricts to, a lot of my tiles are not based on legacy ASCII tiles, but on things I'd just like to have. The result is a sort of blur between symbolic and representational graphics. (I'm also sticking with the two-tone restriction, although my colors go far beyond what old ASCII displays could represent) I feel like I might annoy ASCII enthusiasts with this choice because it's sort of non-committal, but my attitude has always been to do what feels right, and for me, that means really tinkering with the standard tileset.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:37:44 PM by no1hitjam » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »

This just looks more and more awesome!
[ - Null - ]
Level 0

owo what are you looking in here?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 11:51:44 AM »

Hehe, this can sound a little bit weird, but do you make the lighting whit OpenGL/DirectX shaders or simply using the tileset?
Gawsh, this looks so beautiful and great!  Cave Story

Hoi-
:heart:
boymakesnoise
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:20 PM »

I really want to see where this can go. Keep going!

twitter: boymakesnoise
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »

EDIT: This gif really shows how I'm going beyond ASCII in a way. While I'm staying in the 16x16 number of tiles that extended ASCII restricts to, a lot of my tiles are not based on legacy ASCII tiles, but on things I'd just like to have. The result is a sort of blur between symbolic and representational graphics. (I'm also sticking with the two-tone restriction, although my colors go far beyond what old ASCII displays could represent) I feel like I might annoy ASCII enthusiasts with this choice because it's sort of non-committal, but my attitude has always been to do what feels right, and for me, that means really tinkering with the standard tileset.
I also wondered about similar things - especially the title for a game that would used ASCII characters but not in the pure ASCII form i.e. not located perfectly on an ASCII grid.  My idea so far is if I use ASCII in the title, then I'll likely make it a pun.

But, perhaps the bigger question now is: why are the characters not "stickmen" (or variation) and just "Pacman heads".   Waaagh!
(Looking at the smilies above the reply textfield, I notice some resemblance too)
 Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Evil Sad Shocked Cool Huh? Tongue Embarrassed No No NO Kiss Well, hello there! Tired Addicted Apoplectic Who, Me?

no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

Hehe, this can sound a little bit weird, but do you make the lighting whit OpenGL/DirectX shaders or simply using the tileset?
Gawsh, this looks so beautiful and great!  Cave Story

Thanks! Right now it's all in the tiles. I'm using RLNet for rendering, which hooks into OpenGL, and I'm going to look into what I can do with shaders eventually. For now, the tile based system is working fine for me and lets me do stuff like moving lights and turning them on and off in game pretty easily.

I also wondered about similar things - especially the title for a game that would used ASCII characters but not in the pure ASCII form i.e. not located perfectly on an ASCII grid.  My idea so far is if I use ASCII in the title, then I'll likely make it a pun.

Yeah it's hard because I think my title right now more than any I've thought of really gets the feel across, even if it's not entirely accurate. So I'm always looking for a better title in the back of my head.

But, perhaps the bigger question now is: why are the characters not "stickmen" (or variation) and just "Pacman heads".

I've tried adding bodies, but so far I haven't found a way that looks good with my current two-tone grid setup. I'll try again at some point (especially if I ever remove the grid based restriction on movement) but for now the little heads have been growing on me  Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »

Yeah it's hard because I think my title right now more than any I've thought of really gets the feel across, even if it's not entirely accurate. So I'm always looking for a better title in the back of my head.
New challenger has arrived!  I'll let you know if I come up with something.  Grin

But, perhaps the bigger question now is: why are the characters not "stickmen" (or variation) and just "Pacman heads".

I've tried adding bodies, but so far I haven't found a way that looks good with my current two-tone grid setup. I'll try again at some point (especially if I ever remove the grid based restriction on movement) but for now the little heads have been growing on me  Smiley
Looking at the "little heads", it gives me a virtual world like feel.  Since you mentioned sci-fi, perhaps that could work? Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »

I really like the artwork here. Aside from the lighting mentioned by other, I was quite impressed by the representations of cars and motorcycles, given the restrictions!

As to an alternative title... perhaps they're similarly non-representational, but perhaps "Terminal Rain", "Character Rain", or "Encoding Rain"?

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »

I really like the artwork here. Aside from the lighting mentioned by other, I was quite impressed by the representations of cars and motorcycles, given the restrictions!

As to an alternative title... perhaps they're similarly non-representational, but perhaps "Terminal Rain", "Character Rain", or "Encoding Rain"?

Oh yeah, those cars and bikes look awesome, how did you pull that off?
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »

extremely cool. posting for follow ...  Cool
no1hitjam
Level 0

collision detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »

I wrote a new blog post talking about how I'm designing the game and my implementation of player goals. Here's a gif from it showing computer navigation:

Thanks! I really like Terminal Rain... I might end up going with that.

Oh yeah, those cars and bikes look awesome, how did you pull that off?

They're just like any other element in the scene, I just made them move. I drew them first in REXPaint with my ASCII tileset which is a great tool for drawing ASCII art.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic