Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:12:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessiphone developer program questions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iphone developer program questions  (Read 3009 times)
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »

How long does it take to be accepted into the program and what payment methods are there to pay the 99$?

waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

Mock Anger Clippy says "you might be interested in this link."
fallen2
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:24:25 PM »

Interesting article, Though I didnt rate their app much, Im amazed its giving them a salery, I think they was expecting to retire of it.

thunderbird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »

This article is good resource.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/feb/10/gameculture-apple
Business Bear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »

Hey one thing that hit me after I paid the hundred bucks...  you might just be able to jail break your iphone/ipod and experiment before you drop the cash.  If you can spare it, it's worth it, but it might be possible to side-step the membership if you're not sure how serious you are and want to try out some stuff first.

Of course you'll have to join the developer program before you actually release anything on the app store.  And I haven't actually done this myself, but it should be possible.

I was accepted within a week I think.
jack2009
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:30:07 AM »

How easy is it to make iPhone apps? The cheapest iPhone developer program is $99 but I don't want to invest in that if making iPhone apps is extremely difficult and requires advanced programming/code knowledge. Any advice? thanks
----------------
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:43:43 AM by Derek » Logged
Business Bear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:01:09 AM »

I haven't tried myself, but I think Unity may be the easiest route into iPhone game development at the moment.  I would try writing a few games in either Unity (or C++/OpenGL) and if you make something that you think would do well, THEN sign up for the developer's program.

Of course it depends what you'd like to make, but iPhone game development is pretty much the same as PC game development.
moopf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:04:30 AM »

I joined the iPhone dev program back in August last year (subsequently released a puzzler). It didn't take a long time to get accepted, a few weeks maybe, and this was applying as an individual. If you apply as a company, the process seems much longer from what I've heard.

As for how easy it is, when I developed my puzzler there weren't really any things like Unity or iTorque available yet (I mean, they were available but there was no iPhone publishing for them), so I learnt Objective-C (I have plenty of previously programming experience) and built as I learnt. I have to say it's actually a really elegant language and if I had cause to I wouldn't be adverse to developing again for either the Mac/iPhone with Objective-C. You tend to mix in a lot of C and C++ but overall it's nicely structured and the libraries provided are fairly well documented by Apple and provide some fairly high level functionality quickly and easily.

There's also a nice library now called Cocos2d (http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/) for 2D game development which I've played with a bit (didn't actually use it for my puzzler, again it wasn't really in any state to use it when I was developing) and seems very useful, so that might be worth investigating as well.

Hope that helps.

http://www.moopf.com/ - art, music, development.
Arthur and Charles - iPad interactive story (in development)
ASSDADS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »

Moopf, out of curiosity, which puzzle game on the app store is yours? You can PM it, if you feel strange about promoting it here. Just interested in seeing first projects for this platform (aside from the $800,000 wonder iShoot) as I think about getting involved myself.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic