Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:42:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMable & The Wood
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Mable & The Wood  (Read 89433 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2016, 01:29:43 AM »

First of all, first time posting in here, but a very long time lurking. This game has come so far, and it's really gorgeous, great work and I will be behind that kickstarter all the way! Smiley

Secondly, regarding the kickstarter trailer: 29th January is a fine date, it's in fact my birthday, wooohoo (the sexy 30)! I honestly think your description is short and sweet, you tell enough, and don't give too much away, which is a good thing as it leaves the viewer pondering!

With that said, I think you could add even one more line to that, to extend that pondering a little further; depending on where you're taking the story, this is just a random example..

"However, the balance of magic beginning to shift, and the forest is dying, as a stronger force seeks to claim all its magic, Mable must find out what it is, and stop it before it's too late."

..or something like that, haha! Sorry if that made you cringe, I'm not a writer, was just trying to think of an example, hopefully you get my meaning anyway. Just thinking a tiny extra line to suggest a little more might be nice, you don't even need to address it much at all, less is gonna leave more for the viewer to imagine and mull over in their mind I reckon.

Anyway, all that bla I wrote aside, really love this game so far, and excite for you and the project, can't wait to see more!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »

Thank you Chris, it's very much appreciated.

Happy birthday for the 29th! I've been in my 30s for a couple of years and I can definitely recommend it. I think it's a good idea to add something to the end to tease a little bit of where the story might go...

... I'll have a think and post some ideas back here later

thanks!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2016, 12:43:12 AM »

Can you help me playtest this thing on Windows?

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2016, 01:21:46 AM »

I'd love to test this gem for you if you have a build to work with  Smiley

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:26 AM »

Hey, I can help! Wink

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2016, 05:41:20 AM »

Your game seems to be coming on a treat.

It's been really interesting following your buildup to Kickstarter as I'm going through similar process at the moment myself, but I'm a little behind Wink

Best of luck with the Kickstarter, I for sure will be backing.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »

Awesome! Thanks guys, I'll send you a build in the next couple of days once I've fixed a couple of lingering bugs.

Peter, let me know when you start on the Kickstarter and I'll help any way I can. I'll no doubt do many things wrong so be able to give you an idea of what NOT to do  Wink

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2016, 10:13:25 AM »

do you have a plan into making some beautiful artworks for the kickstarter? Sometime it can be a + to have that since it's eye-appealing.
The main character is still quite mysterious without any big picture.
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »

I'm pretty swamped at the moment but I'd love to play! Hopefully I'll have time to give you some meaningful feedback.

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2016, 05:54:03 AM »

Awesome! Thanks guys, I'll send you a build in the next couple of days once I've fixed a couple of lingering bugs.

Peter, let me know when you start on the Kickstarter and I'll help any way I can. I'll no doubt do many things wrong so be able to give you an idea of what NOT to do  Wink

That sounds fantastic, thanks for the offer. I've already started to build a list of what not to do too, it would be fun to trade notes!

I'm not sure how much time I'd get to help beta test your demo, but I'd love to help - let me know where I can get it and what things you would like feedback on and I'll see what I can do!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »

do you have a plan into making some beautiful artworks for the kickstarter? Sometime it can be a + to have that since it's eye-appealing.
The main character is still quite mysterious without any big picture.

Well, I'm still working on the main project image to try and make that more eye-catchingly beautiful - but that's taking time. Other than getting a lot of placeholder art polished up to show off in screenshots and gifs etc I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time to do much additional promo art, but I will if I manage to find time.

I was considering showing some photos of all the sketches I made for the creatures and levels but they're VERY rough so I might save them for a public update in case they're a bit off putting as part of the first impression.

I'm pretty swamped at the moment but I'd love to play! Hopefully I'll have time to give you some meaningful feedback.

This is main;y a bug catching exercise before I start finalising levels for the prologue I want to release during the campaign, so would you have more time in a couple of week perhaps as it'd be good to get your impressions then?

That sounds fantastic, thanks for the offer. I've already started to build a list of what not to do too, it would be fun to trade notes!

I'm not sure how much time I'd get to help beta test your demo, but I'd love to help - let me know where I can get it and what things you would like feedback on and I'll see what I can do!

I'll send it to you in a PM when I've just got rid of a couple of known bugs Smiley

Silent Crow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »

I'll help test it if you need more people Smiley
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »

I'll help test it if you need more people Smiley

That'd be awesome thanks! I'm hoping to have a somewhat stable build ready for testing at some point today or tonight.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2016, 04:29:25 AM »

This is main;y a bug catching exercise before I start finalising levels for the prologue I want to release during the campaign, so would you have more time in a couple of week perhaps as it'd be good to get your impressions then?

Yeah, I can wait!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »

Ok I've emailed or sent a DM (except to you @Silkworm_sweatshop, I'll send you the next build Smiley )

It's only 3 levels but it's mainly for bugs at the minute!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »

Hello everyone! I could do with a little help.

I'm listing out the features and planned features for the Kickstarter project page, and I'm stuck with what is probably the main one. This is what I have:

Platformer gameplay withEDIT: without jumping.

I know, I know. It's awful. I'm trying to succinctly explain that, while there is platformer style traversal through the levels, you can't rely on jumping to make your way through the level because you can't jump. Instead you can change into a faerie and fly (and this also doubles up as your combat moves).

Is that actually interesting/unique enough to bother drawing attention to? Should I maybe focus on using combat moves for movement instead? Is that more interesting?

Help!

Thanks Smiley

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2016, 04:02:38 AM »

In my opinion I think you should, as you said, focus on the combat movement instead. For me this is the unique/cool part of your game that should shown off in your Kickstarter campaign, along with your awesome visuals of course haha.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:27 AM »

Thanks Conor, I think I'll definitely focus on that side. Just need to work out how to word that now...

Leave it with me!

I've worked on the project page image a little more. I decided to go for something a little more colourful to try and contrast against the blue background and catch people's attention.

Click it to see it full size

I'm not sure about Mable's pose though. I'm not as confident at more detailed pixel art like here.

Does it look a bit crap?

I realise it's not centred properly either. Ho hum.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2016, 06:14:26 AM »

Something isn't just right with it, for me Mable's current pose is taking away from the image. Maybe you could have her in fairy form just under the "The' or another idea could be to have her swing her sword downwards while mid-air? Just a couple of thoughts  Coffee

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2016, 06:22:18 AM »

I like the color in the new logo and it looks like it will read better, even as a smaller thumbnail so that's great. A couple small concerns:

1. Mable is a bit small so she may get lost when viewed as just a thumbnail. Keep in mind 90% of the people who organically see your project will just be browsing thumbnails on Kickstarter which are a lot smaller so you need to make sure your project image can look good at a much smaller size than it is. Excuse my rough cut below...

You lose some of the scale if she is larger, but it would certainly make it more eye catching.

2. The sword. It doesn't look very special. It looks thin, lightweight, and doesn't have a lot of personality but it looks like a sword that anyone could carry with ease. Also, in-game it appears to be a lot thicker when she is dragging it behind her. The sword is a key part of the story, just like Mable- you may want to make sure that it gets some attention to.

3. This could be a bad idea, but maybe working in the fireflies etc. around the edges of the scene could help enhance the "magical" feeling to the image?

Kickstarter question for you: Are you planning on opening up the page for us to review prior to the Kickstarter for feedback on rewards, page layout etc.?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic