Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:17:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMable & The Wood
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Mable & The Wood  (Read 89622 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »

I was wondering about a new update but just assumed you were busy. Smiley

I like the new character designs. Smiley  When I looked at Kyron's character, the forest spirits in Princess Mononoke came to mind: http://www.baypins.com/forest-spirits-kodama-princess-mononoke/   Though in it's pixel version the similiraty is less obvious. 

At first glance, I agree with zorg that something about the mole doesn't fit with the game compared to the other characters.  Interestingly, the mole in Little Nemo seems to fit fine.  Maybe the child adds a different type of fantasy where that character fits fine.  However, I would like to see the character in it's environment because if I imagine it in a darkish mine setting with tunnels and/or certain types of support structures when the mole keeps digging and diggin then it seems better.  Perhaps a darker color safety helmet might do trick. Smiley

That narwhal/piranha could be called  narwhanha, narwhaanha or narranha. Wink

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: September 04, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »

I like 'Narwhanha' best I think Wink

Kyron's design was the skeleton/ghoul thing FYI - the Kodama/Imp-from-Golden-Axe was teh work of another fine backer Smiley

Nice work spotting the influence though  Corny Laugh

I've reworked the design of the mole. The levels leading to it get progressively darker, so I've been building a (very rudimentary) lighting system. That's why it had the hat, so that it lit up more of the level when it was above the surface. Instead, thanks to advice from Zorg, I've gone with glowing eyes:

VERY work in progress

This idea is totally ripped off of the Spitting Image game on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum:

I couldn't find a screenshot, but basically the fight takes place in the dark and you can only see the eyes

The only light sources in this scene are the eyes of the mole and Mable's sword, but I think when I get to some of the tombs/dungeons/castles etc then I can introduce things like lamps and torches, which should add to the atmosphere.

Many of those kind of levels will be optional, and more maze like. This has meant that I've also had to work on implementing a multidirectional camera in a more traditional metroidvania style:

Again, this is very WIP, but I plan to have a look ahead to this camera (a bit like how Cave Story does it), as it'll be used more as the levels begin to fall apart (although, this does mean I need to rework most of the background art I've done so far).

Right, back to getting this thing working on Linux!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: September 04, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »

Oh I found a video of the C64 version - on Spectrum it was totally black apart from the eyes though:

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: September 06, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »

Oh, looks like I misread the sentence about the backer designs.  Facepalm Big Laff

Oh, will the story answer why the skeleton/ghost actually wears a scarf?  I don't think it's cold.  Perhaps some form of emotional to a "past life".  Wink  (I have a few ideas for ghost stories and characters and am interested in different "explanations" or background stories)

The darkness for mole boss fights with limited light sounds good.  Though, based on the current look, I would expect that the "sparkles" between Mable and her sword would also be visible even in the most dark location.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: November 10, 2016, 04:08:04 AM »

Hello everyone!

I've been pretty quiet for the last couple of months for 1 reason: I had no PC!

About 8 weeks ago now, my PC died. I've been able to get a new machine now (and it's great), but I've been trying to get caught up and neglected to post. Sorry about that.

Here's an update on what's been going on:

I've been invited to show Mable & The Wood at the annual Yorkshire Games Festival at the National Media Museum in Bradford. I'll be there on the 12th and 13th of October if you want to come say hi, and there's a variety of things going on through the week.

This is actually a brilliant opportunity to get some hands on playtesting in before the launch of the alpha. I did a bunch of playtesting and found that too many people were finding the controls unintuitive, so the plan is to try out a couple of different versions of the controls and observe how people pick them up.

New Pixel-Artist

Maarten Boot is going to be helping out with the art. You may have seen his work before in Kingdom: New Lands (an excellent game as well as a beautiful game). Here's an example of some of his work:

To begin with, Maarten is helping to bring the world map to life. We're just at the sketching out stage at the minute, but I'm hoping to have the first part of the map finished and in place for the alpha release.

Boss Fights

I've been working a little more on the bosses. Updated the lighting in the deep caves, and added in a draft of the mole animations:

The lighting code is VERY inefficient and needs optimising massively to work on lower end machines (which it really should be able to do). Other than that, I just need to add in the attack patterns and then that'll be the alpha bosses done and dusted!

New Item Shop Stuff

I posted this before:

And that's all well and good, but it's not going to be looking like that in the final game. I've been working on roughing out how I want the shop to be laid out when you visit it and this is what I have so far:

This is a very rough first draft (and is totally lacking a background), but that little blue guy is very important. As you approach the shop locations, you're more likely to see these guys running around the levels:

If you decide to kill these guys, then you'll be rewarded with a whole bunch of diamonds. The downside is that their item shop will be closed (as the proprietor is dead), so you'll have to wait until you find another shop to spend them!

Bugs and Polishing Stuff

Before my old PC died, I had a massive list of bugs and I've started working on these. There were various bugs with scaling on the GUI layer, the shaders on Mac/Linux and also with the transitions. I don't really want to just chuck a huge list of known bugs in here, but if anyone is interested in this kind of stuff, could you please let me know in the comments how you'd like to stay updated about the status of things?

I know people have used Google Sheets and stuff like that in the past, so maybe a giant bugs and suggestions checklist on there could work?

Surprisingly, the most difficult thing to get working right was the way that Mable recalls her sword. This is entirely down to that bit of code being the last bit of remaining junk that I'd carried over from the original game jam - but no more!

I've slowed it right down, because it's hard to tell, but before I updated the code the sword appeared in Mable's hand as soon as you pressed fire. Now it only appears when you actually catch it. Nobody will notice this, but I'm so happy that it's done Smiley

Story/Narrative Stuff

I've started work on getting the narrative into the game. The opening cutscene is kinda done, but that's a secret for now...

Here's a placeholder speech bubble instead:

(They speed up if you hold the fire button - and I'm not sure why I did that little jump when recording). Oh, they're just really rough at the minute, so I'll make them look nicer.

Does anyone have any examples of really nice speech bubbles in games?

I guess the only spoiler that I'm going to be giving is that there's a cult involved, who call themselves the 'Awakened'. You have been summoned by this cult in order to save their world (which it turns out they may have broken in the first place).If you played the original Kickstarter demo, then you may have met one of these fellows:

They'll be helping you on your journey, so long as you do what they ask of you. They all pretty much look the same:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I think that's it!

Oh, I love my new PC. I bought Owlboy as a celebration and it's just lovely. I really hope I'm not still working on this in 8 years time...

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2016, 04:24:00 AM »

And that's all well and good, but it's not going to be looking like that in the final game. I've been working on roughing out how I want the shop to be laid out when you visit it and this is what I have so far:

This is a very rough first draft (and is totally lacking a background), but that little blue guy is very important. As you approach the shop locations, you're more likely to see these guys running around the levels:

If you decide to kill these guys, then you'll be rewarded with a whole bunch of diamonds. The downside is that their item shop will be closed (as the proprietor is dead), so you'll have to wait until you find another shop to spend them!

Hey man, those pixel-art shopdudes are ace!
In the shopkeeper/shopping page I wouldn't actually let him hold the page though.

Keep it up!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2016, 04:34:43 AM »

Yeah, it looks a bit iffy. Was just an excuse not to draw a hand though to be honest...

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: November 11, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »

There were various bugs with scaling on the GUI layer

Is the issue around the scaling in different window size? I used to have similar issues but they've been pretty much resolved with this snippet. I have it in the step event of a persistent object running through the entire game.

Does anyone have any examples of really nice speech bubbles in games?
Are you asking about speech bubbles specifically or text management in general. You mentioned Owlboy, it had pretty good ones. It also had very nice emotive sprite work to go along with them. With Mable, that becomes a bit hard since she doesn't even have a face Cheesy. I mean you can still do stuff with body language I guess but all this is time consuming/polishing stuff and it really depends how important conveying emotion is.

You can do a bunch with just text to. Coloring, shaking, speed, adding audio. Wuppo did this great. Then again, Wuppo is a really text heavy game that needs these effects for a lot of the humor.

I wouldn't obsess about this with Mable. At the very least though, add a slight pause after a period. Also, I know what you showed was WIP but I'm not a huge fan of text that starts from then center and grows out to the sides.

Yeah, it looks a bit iffy. Was just an excuse not to draw a hand though to be honest...

Haha, I can relate. I either do stickfigure or powerpuff girls hands most of the time.

spacetoadsmayhem
Level 0

Time to blast some Space Toads :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: December 13, 2016, 07:16:50 AM »

I'm happy I've had a chance to meet And at Insomnia 59 and play Mable & The Wood - the game's got an awesome art style and a quirky, interesting gameplay mechanic Smiley  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Arcade flavoured ice cream with laser blast sprinkles Smiley
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: December 14, 2016, 01:58:08 AM »

Hey Luke! Was great to meet you too Smiley

Hopefully will see you at the next one!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: December 14, 2016, 02:12:37 AM »

So, last month I was invited to take the show to the Yorkshire Games Festival in Bradford, so I said yes before my self consciousnesses had the chance to talk me out of it.

Oh boy, I'm glad I did.

But it I didn't start well. It was just over an hour long drive, but I've not been to Bradford since my Grandad (who had lived there) passed away over 2 decades ago. I didn't drive when I was 11 years old, so it was a mini-nightmare getting there. I took a couple of wrong turns and even managed to earn myself a speeding fine on a road that I wasn't even meant to be on.

So, I finally get there and I walk into the venue. I'm stressed out. I'm immediately daunted by the fact that the National Media Museum is a really impressive building (because, it's the National Media Museum, why would I expect otherwise?).

And then John Romero walks past. He looks really cool, much cooler than me (although, in hindsight, a lot shorter than I had expected he would be). I didn't know that John Romero was going to be there. Clearly, I was out of my depth here.

I think one of the volunteers could see I needed a little help, as she soon wandered over and helped me find my stand. And I'm rambling already aren't I? I hope you're all strapped in for a long in for a long ride...

Anyway, once I'd got over myself, the festival was awesome!

People were queuing to play the game!?

Well, when I say awesome, what I mean is horrible. Soul crushingly horrible. But, soul crushingly horrible in an awesome way!

Let me explain.

I'd seen friends play the game, and I'd seen fellow developers play the game. Usually this was with me explaining how it worked and why things did the things they did.

So, I had decided before the event that I would take the opportunity to observe how normal people (normal as in, not my friends and not fellow developers, none of whom can in any way be considered 'normal') interact with the game. As in, what the conversation is between the player and the way the game feeds back to them - does it communicate things in the way that I think it does?

The short answer was a resounding 'NO!'

I'd hastily put together a 'tutorial' that introduced you to the basics, to understand how the game would be controlled differently to how you were expecting (huh, there's no jump!?). It took me less than a minute to complete. I don't like tutorials, so I was pretty happy with that.

People died. In the tutorial. People were dieing in the tutorial. I mean, that's the third rule of game dev (after 'you don't talk about game dev' and 'you don't talk about game dev'): don't kill players in the tutorial*.

I don't know why people didn't just give up. Maybe they could see the desperate look in my eyes.

To be honest, after 3 hours of watching people die in the tutorial, I realised I had nothing more to learn from watching people die in the tutorial and decided to just quickly explain what the tutorial should be teaching you anyway.

I have half a notebook full of notes that I took from the festival, so here's a little highlight reel of some of the observations I made:

• Make more destructible things, so that the player has more opportunity to understand the relationship between the sword and the world (and smashing stuff is fun)
  • Slow down the speed of the sword spinning back to Mable so you can actually see/feel it - people don't understand that the sword is even moving...
  • Nobody realises that the shrines heal you. Stop them healing you and just spit out some hearts out when you light it [side note: this had the effect of adding tension as the hearts bounce away from you and you're desparate for the health]

The biggest learning point however, was that you can guide people with sweet and/or shiny things. This is something that I actually learned from something outside of the game. I gave people sweets:

I didn't have much room to fit everything on the table, so I left the cards in front of the sweets. As it turned out, everyone who reached for a sweet also took a card!

End of day 1 - should have got more cards (or less sweets)

I'd also been watching people really struggle with this section of the first vertical mountain level:

You have to go up!

The problem here is that it's a much harder challenge if you try it from the left, because the moving spike beneath you pulls you away from where you need to be. Whether it's because we're in the West and we read left to right, or if it's because the past few decades of games have taught us that you always go left to right, or something else, I don't know - but everyone tried it from the left. Over and over.

I thought about blocking off the wall. Then I remembered the sweets! So, I did this:

How embarrassing that I still messed it up while recording the GIF...

And now, everyone tries it from the right hand side! And, most people get it in the first couple of tries (which is just what I want for this far into the game).

Overall, I feel as though taking the game to the festival has been a massive step in the development process. I'd never realised just how much you can learn from watching people sit down with your game and just start playing it. The game is sooooooo much better as a result of this, and I have a huge list of more stuff to make it better!

I also met some really cool people, which has led to a number of interesting opportunities for Mable. One of those opportunities was...

Insomnia Festival

From talking to various people at the Yorkshire Games Festival, I got put in touch with one of the organisers for Insomnia. If you don't know about Insomnia, it's a gaming festival that takes place at the NEC in Birmingham and sees around 60,000 people turn up over a weekend.

Sixty. Thousand. People.

It wasn't really something I couldn't try and get Mable to, especially since I'd made so many changes to it that I wanted to test out!

Fortunately, even though applications were closed, they loved Mable and managed to get me a slot in the Indie Zone.

It was amazing.Although, it got pretty busy:

For a sense of scale, that green and black thing at the back is a double-decker bus!

I got myself a nice little booth:

Taking secret photos of people is totally legal, right?

My friend Justin made me a nice poster (for the price of 2 pints):

And I got some badges (that I really loved and wish I'd got more of):

I got 101 of these, and they ran out half way through Saturday.

The experience was amazing.

Some people genuinely LOVED the game. Several people tweeted at me afterwards (and I got a very very nice email) saying how much they loved it, how it was the best game at the show. It was a little bit overwhelming to be honest.

I watched some people give up and walk away, and I felt good about this. It proved to me that I wasn't making a mediocre game.

What I'm trying to say is: if everyone was just like, 'yeah that was pretty good' or 'hmm yeah that's ok I guess' then I'd think everything was just hunky dory. Instead, the game seemed to generally invoke one of the extremes. I'd rather make something that some people love, even if some people also hate it. I guess it tells me that I'm doing something right, which is nice.

I also took the opportunity to set my laptop up on the Sunday and do a little bit of live testing on people. It was actually really cool to keep firing new things over and have people test little tweaks and fixes to things! People were oddly into watching me code too, despite me clearly not having any idea what I was doing.

Here's the most stable build that I had on the show floor. Ignore the level design in the swamp and cave levels, they're slightly tweaked versions of the Kickstarter demo that are only in there for these kind of events (in other words, they're a bit rubbish).

So yeah, a pretty busy month! Fortunately there's nothing much happening in December, right?

UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: December 14, 2016, 02:35:13 AM »

Happy to see your progress on the game, looking great  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 14, 2016, 07:09:39 AM »

Holy cow.. That's heartwarming to read! And that poster must've cost 2 really good pints, cause its beautiful! gg man

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: December 14, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »

Happy to see your progress on the game, looking great  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks dude!

Holy cow.. That's heartwarming to read! And that poster must've cost 2 really good pints, cause its beautiful! gg man

You know, the beer wasn't even that special. I think one of them might even have been stale...

He vehemently refused any offer of payment though!

Beer!

spacetoadsmayhem
Level 0

Time to blast some Space Toads :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »

Hey Luke! Was great to meet you too Smiley

Hopefully will see you at the next one!

That's the plan! Smiley

Arcade flavoured ice cream with laser blast sprinkles Smiley
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: December 16, 2016, 01:42:51 AM »

You can apply now too!

For anyone out there in the UK (or who can get to the UK pretty easily), Insomnia is an event that attracts tens of thousands of people and offers space for indies to show their games for free.

It's seriously awesome. It's a great way to playtest your game.

They also have free camping (inside the NEC itself) for devs.

The website is here: https://insomniagamingfestival.com/

And the booking stuff is here: https://insomniagamingfestival.com/contact-us

Next one is in April!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: December 31, 2016, 02:04:05 AM »

I've been working on houses for the villages. Art takes me so long, because a lot of this kind of stuff I've never drawn before. This means that it looks crap at first, and I hate it and I get mad at myself for not being good enough.

Case in point:

That looks rubbish. And it took ages.

I spent a day walking around Sheffield and looking at different buildings, taking pictures on my phone. I realised that there are loads of really cool looking buildings near where I live! There's a really cool mix of old industrial buildings (factories, steel mills, little mesters workshops etc), grand buildings with ornate details and then there's battered old cottages not far away too.

I think the walk did me good. I mean, these also took ages (about 2 to 2.5 hours each in total, including the initial sketches), but I'm REALLY happy with them. Which feels weird, since I made them:

The only problem now is, what else should I be drawing to go in the villages?

Any suggestions?

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 31, 2016, 02:25:38 AM »

Imagine what the villagers need for daily living. Maybe a pile of firewood and an axe. A well. A bucket. A clothes line. A basket, barrels. A garden with a fence, to keep wild animals out. A shovel and a fork. A cattle shed. A dog. What's the business of the people living there?

By the way, the last three houses look great! Smiley
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: December 31, 2016, 06:48:56 AM »

Yeah, I need to do a well anyway. I think fences and walls and gardens is a good idea. I guess barrels, crates and pots are a must. The pile of wood with an axe is definitely a good idea!

This particular village has been abandoned (I'll be adding a layer of disrepair to the buildings too), but the people who lived here before were self sustainable so they will have had farms too I guess or small holdings, so maybe abandoned farm stuff, like haycarts etc? Maybe some kind of town square monument (I'm sure I've done one of these already). I'll be reusing the sprites for other parts of the world too (or variations of them).

Also...

By the way, the last three houses look great! Smiley

Thaaaaaanks!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: December 31, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »

Those are a big improvement! Fences in the background would be great to make the buildings look more integrated into the environment. Also for a non-abandoned village how about removing grass from the floor around the buildings, to make it look like an area that is used a lot?

Maybe a privy?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic