Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:22:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)When pixel art and polygons make love
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: When pixel art and polygons make love  (Read 22840 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »

Yeah. Most of there games would fit in Underrated too.

... So would most of the games in here. Huh.
Biggerfish
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2009, 05:49:27 AM »

Dragonball: Origins is a game with the cartoony low-poly 3d I really like. It's a very nice looking (and playing) recent game for the DS. Screenshots are kinda crummy.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2009, 06:09:33 AM »

What. Epileptic

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »

Apparently they're trying REALLY hard to keep true to the anime/manga?

I'm genuinely surprised, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Biggerfish
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »

I haven't actually watched the original Dragonball, but it feels like it was taken straight from the anime, and it works really well.

Hideous; best cutscene in the game. curse the gap inbetween the ds screens!
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »

Do recall the Hideous is a minor.

As is Bulma, at that point in time, I think. Not sure that makes it any less un-:gentleman:-like.

And if the game covers the entirety of DB, there should be a better, funnier part later on around the same tangent. Also, actually useful.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »

Do recall the Hideous is a minor.

What?

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »

I don't recall what I was thinking when I typed that, either.

Apologies, I'm too sleepy to think straight at the moment and keep butchering myself in Spelunky.

thaaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »

Squiggly_P, any progress on the low poly tutorial with Blender? I'm SOOO looking forward to this  Wink

Squiggly_P
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2009, 06:40:12 PM »

I'm re-encoding a video right now as a part of that.  It's just a low-poly character.  I have some other stuff I'm working on as well.  A number of people on different boards were asking for lowpoly tutorials, so I started working on a number of them.  I was going to do one for the last character I made, but the video broke on me, so I did another one.

but yeah, it might take some time, heh.  i'm not well known for being prompt.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »

Well, any time is better than no time.
Squiggly_P
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »

It's not really a tutorial, even though I say that word a couple of times in the video Tongue

It's more just a demo, but I try to point out some useful commands, little tips and stuff.  I figured that doing a 'tutorial' for 3D modeling would be kinda ...  i dunno...  not really worth it.  If it's a step-by-step then you end up getting good at making a specific thing, or you get stuck needing instructions for everything.  I figured I'd show more just the method.  Just to see someone modeling something and commenting on it.

Future videos will probably be more useful.  This is really just a test one.

Oh, and it gets super boring at times - especially towards the end the end when I run out of crap to talk about, hehe.  Also, it's not a typical humanoid character, so sorry if everyone wanted desperately learn how to just make a 'normal' human.  I don't do those often Tongue
thaaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:52 AM »

That's a nice "not really a" tutorial  Wink
I learned a lot by watching it including a proper setup of Blender to start with. I will watch it some more times and try to understand some of the commands you use.
The edge modeling is a new approach for me but it also looks pretty tempting!
I'm looking forward to your uv mapping tutorial - thanks for all your efforts for the first one! Highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Tommy

Corpus
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »

I think it's worth making a distinction between low-end 3D and things that could actually be considered a union of pixel art and low-poly.

Most of the things posted in this thread have just been low-end 3D, in my opinion.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »

less talk more pic  Tiger

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »

less talk more pic  Tiger
Yes.

I'm not sure if this was intended to be lowpoly, but it certainly fits the description.

Also...
I think it's worth making a distinction between low-end 3D and things that could actually be considered a union of pixel art and low-poly.

Most of the things posted in this thread have just been low-end 3D, in my opinion.
It might lowpoly only because the computers weren't too advanced, but didn't pixel art get it's origins in the exact same way? Just because a limitation isn't necessarily decided upon by the author, it doesn't make it worse or send it into a different group altogether.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic