Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:35:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCritique my main player
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Critique my main player  (Read 2905 times)
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »

I'm currently developing my own platformer game, and needed some help with my sprites.  It's based mostly off of the NES mario, with a nicer, toned down feel.  Please share your thoughts, and be as critical as needed. Smiley

(yes, he is moving a bit fast, and that pant line should be deleted)
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »

I think its important for people to know what you're going for before they can give proper critiques.  I mean right now I'd say that the pixelart is pretty primitive, but then you mention that it's mostly based off the NES Mario.  So based on that I'd say this is okay, although something about the walk cycle makes me feel like he's running backwards.

illuminatedspace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:19:31 PM »

He looked like he was running backwards to me as well. Upon further inspection, he is running backwards. I downloaded the gif, and the first and last frame are swapped. Here's what he looks like running forwards.

I think his front leg looks a little awkward because there is a block of 4 squares or so that really look like they're not moving.

I think what you really need is one more frame that transitions his front arm and front leg so it's not snapping between these two frames.

As for the style. It really depends on what you want it to look like. I could imagine a game that has this kind of sprite style in it. Without seeing more art from the game, it's hard to give an opinion.

Good job!

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »

this is a very good tut on run/walk cycles
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=43089.msg1057301#msg1057301

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:57 AM »

Thanks for your help all. I've since changed to a new sprite, as that one was the temporary placeholder and test sprite.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »

I dont know the purpose of those secondary shading colors. I dont think if shading is neccesary with that size and they dont bring anything into the composition.
GrumpyGiant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »

It seems weird that the lighting on his head is coming from one side, but on his body is from another.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic