Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:45:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPursuit of Power 2 : The Chaos Dimension (RTS with Demo)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pursuit of Power 2 : The Chaos Dimension (RTS with Demo)  (Read 6921 times)
MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »

Thanks! I'm mostly trying to get visibility for my game while I finish Steam integration in my spare time. I did get my Steam store up and running which feels like some progress. But, I'm having some difficulty finding RTS sites where I can connect with people that like the genre.

I found a good article that gives a brief history of RTS games and talks about the need to evolve. A quick tangent... I love that it mentioned Herzog Zwei (on Sega Genesis) as the first RTS. That was one of my all-time favorite games and inspired me to focus on a single leader troop back with my first RTS in 2003 and this current game.

But back to the evolve message... that's basically my mission for this game. I'm trying to find a balance between traditional RTS and MOBA, while adding a few new elements. I think I'm on the right track, but I might need to finish the rifts since a lot of the more interesting gameplay derives from them. Just explaining them might not be enough.

So I'm going to keep trying to get more eyes on my game. I will try to give more detailed explanations of the rifts and related mechanics. Plus I will do my best to get those features implemented as soon as possible so I can show them in action. I have a year before release, so I have some time to get it right Wink

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »

I've been working with Meagan (lead artist) on the next iteration of visual improvements. The above screenshot shows an updated user interface and two new combat effects. The arrow is being used by a Goblin archer, with a slight trail effect that looks better in motion. The "ghostly" green flame is designed for the Lich, but right now we are using it as a better placeholder for all other troops. We are planning to add a unique combat effect for every player unit. When we accomplish that goal, I will create a new video of combat so you can see the improvements.

I'm also working with Steven Harriton to compose the music tracks. We are going with an orchestral theme that transitions to some industrial during intense moments, like the rift encounters. The beginning and rift encounter tracks are designed to be looped. The main gameplay tracks are meant to be played randomly to help keep it from being repetitive.

Armed and Dangerous (start of game, looped)
Stealthy Missile (main gameplay)
New Recruit (main gameplay)
Tower of Flames (main gameplay)
Decimation (main gameplay)

I'm also continuing to refine the gameplay for the rifts. I will go into detail when I have settled more of it. You can see some of the ideas in my Kickstarter updates.

If you have any feedback for my game, I would love to hear it Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:16:47 AM by MikeVitt » Logged

TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »

oh!look great I love it.  Shocked

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »

Thanks!

I like your game as well. Gave ya a vote. Good luck Wink

TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »

oh thank you very much I also fan of RTS game and happy to see some one make it specialize when i'm so eager to see new fantasy RTS .

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »

Here's a new track for the score Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/galactic-adventure-v1-pursuit-of-power-2

This has been a blast to work on. Thanks for the opportunity Mike!

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/life-or-death-v1

Here's a new one =D

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2017, 05:22:09 PM »

Hello! It's been a while since my last dev log update. I have been hard at work on my game. I now have a Beta Demo on Steam that you can play. There are still a few major features to add, but it should give a good idea of where I'm going with it. I would love to hear some feedback if anyone wants to give it a shot.

I'm also in the process of updating the first entry of this thread with new media. I somehow messed-up the GIF videos, so I need to fix that Tongue You can visit my Kickstarter for additional information and working GIF videos Smiley

Beta Demo

Play the Beta Demo on Steam!

What is in the Demo? The demo for Pursuit of Power® 2 places you in a skirmish game as a Shadow Knight versus another SK computer player at normal difficulty. The features are limited in order to simplify things, which is important since the campaign tutorial has not been implemented yet. You will definitely want to read the "help tips" image and it would be good to read the extended help in-game too.

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 06:58:13 AM »

I just created an update on my Kickstarter that I wanted to share. Plus I wanted to show some new artwork from Meagan Smiley

Right now I am working on epic rifts and bosses that spawn from them. The current rifts only spawn invaders, are pretty numerous, and tied to fortresses. There will only be a few epic rifts per chaos level and they will function much differently than the normal version.

Epic rift for toxic slime

I want each epic rift and boss to have a unique mechanic that players must overcome. For example, I am working on the lair of a toxic slime right now that will probably spew a toxic liquid from it. I might use a ground effect to signal the event, and players will then need to move troops away from that area to avoid damage.

That epic rift could constantly pick different areas even when not attacked so it is always active. It could even increase the intensity as its health decreases so that players need to react to the changing tempo. Once defeated, the conquering player could gain control over the boss creature for a limited amount of time, perhaps due to a built-in health drain.

The boss could then be similar to a mobile version of its lair, doing considerable damage to enemies. All epic bosses will have an inherent "disrupt" ability that makes it harder for the fortresses to repair when hit by it. That will function much like enemy zealots connecting to the fortress, so it gives the attacker a big advantage.

During the Apocalypse phase, I want those epic bosses to eventually overwhelm players so the game ends decisively. Right now, the invaders will have trouble taking down fortresses without the disruption ability. So the games could last longer than intended, but that will change soon!

The other epic rifts and bosses will have their own special mechanics. I will probably base them on MMORPG encounters that I have experienced in the past. I think that will give me tons of good, simple mechanics that I can use for them. But it all starts with this first one, which I hope to implement within the next few weeks.

In my next update, I will detail how the fortresses work and what I envision for the upgrades.

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »

Hey, the game's looking really cool! I first found out about it after Steven Harriton contacted me about music for my game and saw some of your tracks on his soundcloud. It's cool seeing the devlog pop up on here. I love the type of gritty fantasy vibe this game gives off.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »

Hi! I'm glad you like it and thanks for the compliment Smiley Steve is great to work with -- I'm very happy with the current soundtrack (and hope to add more tracks later).

I'm trying to find RTS sites where people might want to play my game. It is pretty challenging so far. There's also just so many games coming out every day. When I released my Demo on Steam last Friday, I saw 70+ other games released that same day. I have no idea how you get noticed, but hopefully I catch a break at some point Smiley

BTW, I think your game looks awesome! I agree with others that the terrain looks really nice. I will definitely follow your game and hopefully I can give some useful feedback Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:50 AM »

Good luck Mike!
PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »

Yea I need to start posting mine on strategy sites as well. Still trying to figure out the best ones to post on. I think a lot about the constant flood of games that are coming out. It's pretty daunting. The only way to really do it is getting a following while you make it so people already know about it. Easier said than done though.

Thanks for checking my game out and the compliment. I could use all the feedback I can get Tongue

Twitter: @PsycheMac
MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2017, 06:46:41 AM »

Good luck Mike!

Thanks! I will take all the "good luck" I can get Wink

@PsycheMac:

I agree that getting people to follow early on is important. I got some useful feedback from /r/RealTimeStrategy/ back in February when I first posted there. But then I posted recently with a Demo and a bunch of improvements, getting no responses... so who knows Tongue

Good luck with your game. Feel free to msg me if there is anything I can help with Smiley

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »

I updated my Demo on Steam last night. It now includes the initial version of an epic rift and its associated creature. I made an update post on Steam and Kickstarter talking about it. I plan to discuss my high-level vision for the game when I get some free time this weekend. In the meantime, here is the update:

Pursuit of Power 2 was updated to version 2.1.1.3 on October 12, 2017.

Play the Demo on Steam!

• Normal rifts respawn as epic rifts during next chaos level
  • New rifts no longer spawn until next chaos level (stops invaders for that targeted fortress when its associated rift is destroyed)
  • Toxic Slime spawns from epic rift (placeholder artwork)
  • Fixed a few bugs for loading game when a rift has been destroyed

The first epic rift is now in game and it spawns the Toxic Slime. It has a Toxic Affliction ability that causes maximum debuffs for all troops in the area. If any troops are debuffed while hit by the Toxic Slime, the damage is doubled. Also, it explodes when it dies, causing massive damage around it.

Shadow Knights can use the leader ability Blessing of Hate to convert each debuff to a rage level, which multiplies the damage of their own troops. In addition, Despair can be cast on the Toxic Slime before it explodes in order to prevent that massive damage.

If the Toxic Slime is able to hit the portal, it will disrupt the progress timers for the fortress. That will make it much more vulnerable to being destroyed since the fortifications won't be able to rebuild when destroyed. All epic creatures will most likely have that disrupt ability.

Eventually, there will be multiple epic rifts with unique mechanics. Right now they just hit for double the damage of normal rifts and spawn epic creatures. I'm also going to focus on interesting ways for players to counter the challenges of those epic rifts and creatures.

In addition, I plan to create some more fun mechanics involving the zealot lines. Those new features will probably be tied to fortress upgrades and they will help players conquer opposing fortresses. I'm especially looking forward to adding the flying dragons that will travel along the zealot paths, wreaking havoc below.

Finally, in the near future I will explain in detail what I envision for the game when it is complete. That includes the talking Avatar, player abilities, tactical decisions, pace of the game, campaign, and much more. I hope some of those ideas will interest you!

Please let me know what you think about the Demo! I want to hear your feedback so I can improve the game. Thanks for your help Smiley

MikeVitt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »

I finally released my game today, after 10 years of work. So tired... Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic