Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:35:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFrog Force
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Frog Force  (Read 2754 times)
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »

Frog Force

Platforms: PC
Size: 6.01 MB
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt6t4wdmomm5yd8/Frog_Force_PA_15.1.zip?dl=0

Description: Click on squares to match the color of your frog. Sometimes different stuff happens based on what color you are!

Controls: Left click on squares to move to them. Right click to pause. F4 to toggle fullscreen

Feedback: I'm open to any general feedback, how the fun factor feels, if things make sense or if it was unclear what you should be doing. Some parts of the game are still pretty shaky, but it should be playable. If you come across any crash bugs let me know!

Thanks for playing!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:06:47 PM by Lazy Brain Games » Logged
GuilelessMonk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:50:41 AM »

I was unclear on what to do at first but the difficulty was such that I was able to figure things out without dying.

I like how you do difficulty in this game, the levels are easy enough to get through but hard to get a perfect on.

I would suggest a sound indicating you broke your streak so that the player knows they did something a bit wrong as it took me a couple of levels to figure out how the streak function worked.

I dig it!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:58:08 AM by GuilelessMonk » Logged
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »

Thanks for checking it out GuilelessMonk! Glad you were able to get a handle on things! I uploaded a new build that has a visual indication that a streak has been broken. I totally agree there should be a sound too though. Thanks for the input man Smiley
J247
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

I liked the game. Interesting game, the levels are good, cool art, the music is good and it is fun to play. High five!

What I didn't like--The swear words. It just made it seem so vulgar, it lost credibility right there for me.
Other than that, I really enjoyed it. 
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »

Glad you like the game overall IfollowMessiah. I tried to work a swear into the title just so that players know what they're getting into. The writing style is what makes me laugh, but as with all comedic endeavors there's going to be a difference of opinion. Thanks for trying it out man!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »

-I'm actually with IfollowMessiah when it comes to the swear words. It's just unnecessary and kinda clashes with the the nice, lighthearted feel of the game. I see that you responded to that comment while I was writing. I do think it was a good idea to let players know what they're getting into.

-When I maximized the window, it didn't quite fit my screen properly, and I couldn't make it a smaller window again. Clicking the button just made the title bar shift a moment and then go back to where it was.

-An actual fullscreen mode would be nice. In the past, most Game Maker games used F4 so it may be a good idea to go with that.

-Why is it 4:3 and not 16:9 or 16:10? Is it just for the retro feeling?

-The main menu was a bit confusing. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do at first. I clicked on "Play" with no result, so I switched to trying keyboard keys before realizing I could click on the frog.

-I thought the "tadpoles" were enemies at first (They didn't look like tadpoles to me) so I avoided them.

-I didn't really like that the game randomly picked another color for me when I finished one. I feel like that could easily mess players up if the game picks a color that's harder to reach over an easier one, but maybe there's code in place to avoid that?

-All the messages at the ends of levels were pretty random. I wasn't a fan of them. "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams"? If you want to make a statement of some sort, that's totally fine, but why use this game for something like that? It just didn't fit at all. Maybe that's what's funny? I don't know. Not my sense of humor, I guess.

-I'm not a huge fan of having to click to pop the bubble (I felt like just trying to move should pop it), or having to click on a square twice on the Level Select screen. Neither of those things are actual issues, though. They work fine, I just felt like it could be a little more streamlined.

-I hit spikes on the way to the exit and when I respawned, I couldn't pop the bubble or finish the level.

-I really don't like it when Escape closes games instantly. At the very least, a confirmation dialog would be nice. I didn't want to quit. I wanted to go back to the menu, and I'm used to pressing Escape for that in games so I do it automatically.

-Are the bombs random or pre-placed? I didn't like that I couldn't plan my route around them. One time I had four fall in a row, in a small area. That felt a bit cheap, but maybe it's just that this isn't my type of game.

-The switches look like they're raised up, so I felt like I should be able to jump from one to another over the spikeballs. Maybe make them a little flatter? I also didn't realize at first that I could toggle them, but that was probably just me not thinking of other games that used that symbol on switches.

-I like the music a lot. Any plans to add other tracks? The current one is good, but I got a little sick of it after a few levels.

-I like the sprites. Good use of colors and pretty nice designs for enemies and the main character.

I'm not sure this is a game I'd personally play a lot of, but it worked well and was easy to pick up and play. The unobtrusive tutorial was really good and the difficulty curve seemed all right, from what I played.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
AnyYes
TIGBaby

I maek chiptoonz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »

-I like the music a lot. Any plans to add other tracks? The current one is good, but I got a little sick of it after a few levels.

Hey Quicksand, this is AnyYes, the composer on Frog Force. Thanks for the kind words! And thanks everyone in general for playing Smiley

There's a whole soundtrack in the works, and a bunch of the songs have already been written. Here's an example of one such track, if you're interested.

https://soundcloud.com/aswindu/frog-force-desert-bgm-vrc6
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 03:39:21 PM »

Thanks for your feedback Quicksand! Uploaded 2 builds actually, both have these updates...

-Starts in fullscreen, F4 toggles

-The escape button won't kick you out of the game anymore

-Having the game select a color after collecting all of a certain color is referred to as the 'rollover system'
 that goes R-G-B-R-B-G etc. If you complete red, you move onto Green, then blue, and so on. In the non-rollover version once you complete a set of colors you're returned to the starting grey state. It isn't fully tested but
seems to work. Let me know what you thoughts on the non-rollover version are Smiley

Non-Rollover version
https://www.dropbox.com/s/taebaav5tzq8ysy/Frog_Force_PA_13.4_non-rollover.zip?dl=0

About the other points you made...

- The main menu could use some work, although the idea is to have the player work out the gameplay system upfront. This could be better executed though so it'll be refined at some point. The confusion on the starting menu is defiantly understandable.

-Good catch on the elevated switches. I totally didn't consider the fact that the player character is higher up. Not sure what the fix would be but now I'm at least aware of it.

-The bombs are pre-placed, although the color of the squares are random. Ultimately its sort of the luck of the draw how many bombs you come across within a color.

-There's no particular reason for 4:3, its just NES res. 16:9 isn't really in the cards, maybe for the sequel (if such a thing ever happens)

-As for the writing I might involve someone else, for now its just insane things that make me laugh.

Thanks for the compliments on the art and sound, much appreciated! I suppose its worth asking if there's anything gameplay-wise you feel might help it be more enjoyable Smiley
Lazy Brain Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »

[bump]

Pulled out all the swearing (all the text in fact) and dropped in a sort of dice-poker variant linked into the existing square-based movement system. Its like a totally different game now! While the game will correctly id different hands (2 of kind, full house, etc) there isn't a real scoring system implemented (still working on it!)

So, let me know how this new symbol matching system feels. Is it fun to try to match different symbols? Too confusing? Too simple? Let me know!

Thanks for playing Smiley
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 10:52:24 AM »

This game is really good i love isometric games that are laid out in some kind of strange space with cool backgrounds (like beat hopper too)

One thing I wanted to point out was that my friend also has a game called frog force - http://ludumdare.com/compo/minild-44/?action=preview&uid=3935 maybe name this one frog force 2 so it doesnt get hard to google?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic