Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:11:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs.../// ICARUS.1 \\\...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: .../// ICARUS.1 \\\...  (Read 9864 times)
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »

there's a heavy pixel restriction on the entire game, except for the text.

can't the text conform to the pixel size you've got going? it seems rigid enough
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »

The title screen is great!!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 12:23:32 AM »

I'm really not a fan of the forced pixelization, but otherwise this looks really cool, it reminds me of what this game promised to be

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »

Thats a great sound, ah man whatever happened to ROUTINE?

To hit this deadline I'm having to be laser focused and make sure there's no scope-creep. I'm probably the worst person for scope-creep! I've been agonizing over permadeath, it's not going to be a long game. A rough estimate would be about 20 mins to complete it once you knew exactly what to do.

Talking of Lasers, security has stepped up a notch  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:19:00 AM by electrolyte » Logged

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »

I'm probably the worst person for scope-creep! I've been agonizing over permadeath, it's not going to be a long game. A rough estimate would be about 20 mins to complete it once you knew exactly what to do.

Just make sure that anything that kills a player can be avoided/mitigated if they are paying attention, and that deaths are instructive for what to do better next time.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »

yo, this looks cool as heck. reminds me of system shock 2 a little but that's probably just because of the creepy space vibes.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »

I agree with quan, it's that sci-fi darkness!  Kiss
I don't care much for the pixelated visor gui though, it doesn't fit much in my opinion.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm probably the worst person for scope-creep! I've been agonizing over permadeath, it's not going to be a long game. A rough estimate would be about 20 mins to complete it once you knew exactly what to do.

Just make sure that anything that kills a player can be avoided/mitigated if they are paying attention, and that deaths are instructive for what to do better next time.

Hmm, yeah I think some of the stuff will be tricky to negotiate without a death penalty. Maybe I'll break it into 3 small chapters and you'll restart from those points?

I've just grabbed some more screens showing a slightly upgraded rez on the helmet display and also the new cargo area and some mysterious loot canisters.

If I have the time I'll make the vending machines interactive  Smiley

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 02:50:56 PM »

Much better, and are you doing all this yourself? The amount of assets I'm seeing is really cool  Smiley
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 06:04:41 AM »

Much better, and are you doing all this yourself? The amount of assets I'm seeing is really cool  Smiley

Thanks, yeah doing it all myself as part of a two month game jam which ends this month! Learning Unity as I go and also Cinema4D trying to pack it all in around family and work time. The models aren't that complex and mostly share the same texture. I rooted for the low-fi pixel look to get around my lack of modelling skills. Will be amazing if I can hit the deadline ... even if it's not a trail blazer at least I'll have learnt a lot about Unity  Smiley

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 07:42:32 AM »

Does anyone know how to do 'dynamic Occusion' culling in Unity3D? Main purspose is for doors open and closed, can't seem to find decent how too and the manual is a little light when it comes to the subject  Huh?

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »

So it got stupid big and I've just cut a chunk of the ship out after reading an article by 'gunpoint' Tom Francis. Need to be reasonable to whats possible as a lone dev trying to hit this jam deadline in 3 weeks!

Here's a chunk of the ICARUS.1 in the editor.

I've also cleaned up some areas. The entire structure is now in place and you can start at the beginning and get to the end! Still a lot of place holders for items but main puzzles are in place with a few of the challenging cargo crush rooms to finish.

Some snaps of updates:

New section Facepalm (this replaced the chunk I cut out) a broken cargo lift well.

CraigSnedeker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

This game looks absolutely beautiful.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
BanzaiBrigade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2015, 03:14:39 PM »

Does anyone know how to do 'dynamic Occusion' culling in Unity3D? Main purspose is for doors open and closed, can't seem to find decent how too and the manual is a little light when it comes to the subject  Huh?

You'll have to be a little more specific about what your problems are. answers.unity3d.com is probably a better bet for info. Alot of very helpful people there.

Game is as always looking fantastic.

BrawlBeast currently on Kickstarter
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »

This looks great, when can we play it!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:35 AM »

This looks great, when can we play it!

Hopefully end of this month. I'm doing it as part of a jam so there's a deadline I'm aiming for. Can't guarantee it will be polished but will bust some moves to get it as complete as possible Smiley

You'll have to be a little more specific about what your problems are. answers.unity3d.com is probably a better bet for info. Alot of very helpful people there.

Game is as always looking fantastic.

Thanks, yeah I think it's occlusion portals that have stumpted me. For the time being I've parked those problems and getting it all feature complete for end of month but I'll return to it. Thanks kindly for link.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »

Big push this weekend trying to get a playable beta version out.

Just finished the end bit spending more than I would have liked on a set piece animation. Using a visual scripting tool called PlayMaker which has been great to daisy chain events together. Also got the main structure finished of the cargo area. I trashed a chuck of it as I realized I wouldn't finish it in time for the deadline. Some personal log's are starting to go in, I aim to have about 6 of these dotted around revealing the back story as to what has happened on the Icarus.1

If you'd like to have a play around with, and I stress, a very early build for PC I'll put a link up here. At the moment on my 7 year old Mac Book Pro it's not running great but not sure if I should spend any time with it as that's quite an old Mac. 256Meg for a graphics card, that's old right?  Shrug

On my screen right now, this chap!

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »

Phew! So I've crunched a lot and have a PC build ready!

Two months of jamming and learning Unity the deadline is next weekend which is why I'm releasing this rough and ready build. The theme is LOOT, which there's a sort of twist on. At the moment there isn't much loot, but that will be the crates you open up to collect the gem things ... which wont be gems in the final release! hee.

You can grab it from the following link v0.01 [61meg]:
bit.ly/1LxV0Lm

If you have any feedback let me know. This is not a finished game, there are bugs, there maybe game breaking bugs, things will look iffy, there is a lot of sound missing, there is holding sound, narrative is missing and temp holding artwork.
Thanking you all Smiley

NOTES:
THIS GAME HAS NO QUIT. TO EXIT IN FULL SCREEN MODE PLEASE PRESS ALT+F4  Ninja

Controls:
WASD or Arrows to move
Shift to run
Mouse look around
Left Mouse Button Interact
Space Jump
Xbox Controller Support also (needs tweaking / remapping)

I'm not sure what specs this needs but I run a beefy PC and this build has not been optimized.
If you have performance issues please let me know including your spec.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:42:30 AM by electrolyte » Logged

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 05:05:33 AM »

Updated build is now uploaded:
bit.ly/1LxV0Lm

Added some loot and a HUD tracking display

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:42:45 AM by electrolyte » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 01:17:50 PM »

Definitely going to try this out when I get free time, that statue screenshot is stunning and gives off such a cool vibe.
You're doing this right  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic