Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:23:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting#Notifications. A story about Twitter harassment.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: #Notifications. A story about Twitter harassment.  (Read 927 times)
CamBaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:48 PM »

Hey all,

I spent some time this week working on a short experience about cyber bullying. I'd love to get some feedback on it Smiley

You can grab the latest release here: http://cambaks.itch.io/notifications

There are some issues I plan to iron out soon:
  - Feed / alert tab only update when user presses the button.
  - Indication of which tab you're currently in.
  - Animation on new alerts / tweets so it's less jarring.

Thanks!

Katsusiro_7
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:33:23 AM »

Well yeah...
I really need a new laptop...

Also wow, didn`t expect such reaction from a tweet about conservative politics!
CamBaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:52:52 AM »

Thanks for checking it out Katsusiro_7!
The reaction is probably a little over the top in reality, but one of the ideas I wanted to get across is that sometimes, not matter how innocuous the tweet, it can be latched on to by an individual or a group who disagree with it.
Thanks for the feedback Smiley
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:42 AM »

Yes, I understand the idea.
And since I have never tweeted myself, this game really gave me those FEELS.  Smiley
GuilelessMonk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 06:42:08 AM »

All around interesting game. I've seen games like this but I like how this game contextualizes it all in your day to day routine. Also, I really like the sound work done on this game.
CamBaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »

Yes, I understand the idea.
And since I have never tweeted myself, this game really gave me those FEELS.  Smiley

Thanks heaps Katsusiro_7 :D

All around interesting game. I've seen games like this but I like how this game contextualizes it all in your day to day routine. Also, I really like the sound work done on this game.

Thanks for that GuilelessMonk!

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »

Pretty interesting. My favourite part is how the scenery changes throughout the day. Great idea.

I was able to say "Why must we sleep?" at least twice. With other statements, it kinda made sense, but that one lets you delay things. A few of the other statements did seem to repeat too, which made me start to wonder if the game had an ending.

So many people said I was a nobody. Maybe randomly swapping words/phrases would be a good idea in order to add a little bit more variation without writing more tweets.

I feel like it might've been slightly more powerful if when rolling over in bed, it didn't do that motion-blur thing, as if it couldn't be bothered to anymore. Not a big deal, but I did find that short motion blur a lot harder on the eyes than the slightly longer ones for some reason (maybe because it just comes across as image distortion when nothing is really changing much).

This is probably just me being stupid, but I didn't catch on to the ending. That was, in part, due to the text being a lot lighter than the rest of the text in the game. A symbol like that could also very easily mean multiple things. It's probably fine because it just makes for an ambiguous ending, but for me it felt sliiightly too ambiguous. It was still pretty interesting, though. Nice work.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
CamBaks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »

Thanks Quicksand-S!

Yeah, I agree that there's some issues around text / statements showing up multiple times. The general "Who the hell are you" type tweets seem to last a little bit too long and it takes too long for the heavier tweets to come into play. Randomising specific phrases is a good idea!

Removing the motion blur from the shorter transitions is an interesting idea actually. I'll try it out!

As far the ending goes, the only 'ending' is when you hit  [ call <3 ]  as a reply. I uploaded some new builds last night that hopefully fixes the light text on this option Smiley
As far as meaning goes, 'call <3' is supposed to signify calling a loved one or a friend or even just a support network. As they're often the best people to reach out to during that kind of hate mongering.

Thanks again for the feedback. Very much appreciated Smiley

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »

As far as meaning goes, 'call <3' is supposed to signify calling a loved one or a friend or even just a support network. As they're often the best people to reach out to during that kind of hate mongering.

Ah. Ok. I thought it said "Call <3" so I guess I got it.

I felt like I'd seen a suicide hotline in the past that had used a heart in their logo, and there was also the possibility that they were calling a loved-one to say goodbye, so I wasn't sure if it was a positive or negative ending.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic