Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:42:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: The Cairn - A dark, woodcut adventure.  (Read 15071 times)
El-Metallico
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2015, 07:06:17 AM »

Haven't checked this blog for a while, glad to see progress. Dunno how but it's funny and creepy at the same time, especially this flying mask above the dude.

Game music composer and pixelartist.
Music Portfolio 
Pixelart Portfolio
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here are some .gifs!  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

We also got featured in another article over at Killscreen Daily! :D

Check it out here!

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/videogame-gets-its-art-style-15th-century-woodcuts/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:25:45 AM by J.D. » Logged

MurmuringDepths
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »

Keep up the good work J.D, and the killscreendaily article as a nice read.
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »

Kinda' spoopy.

David Stanley
Level 0

I make animations and games for human consumption.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2015, 09:17:12 AM »

Certainly adds to the mystery! I'm glad you included some gray in there as well; I think it still holds up with the high-contrast style.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

Working on some new level assets, here's a sneak peek at how they're chopped up in SAI.

glhfGreg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »

Nice and unique aesthetic! I like the spotlight effect and black backgrounds. Makes for a goodbalance between light and dark.
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »

Kinda spoopy? Nay sir, QUITE spoopy. Quite spoopy indeed!

Nice progress just came to say lookin' good.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »

I think the added grey improves the contrast greatly, much less harsh on the eyes. I think there's still some issue with picking out the main character and the floating thing from the background elements, as in your last gif. Perhaps it's worth experimenting with a white halo/stroke of a certain thickness around animating objects? It's a difficult line to walk, I know, you want to keep the pure simplicity of black and white, yet also maintain visual interest and visual clarity.

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »

My background is in fine art printmaking (only made the move to game development just over a year ago)  So I'm loving the woodcut inspired art style! Keen to see how this turns out.

Alex N.
Level 1

game dev!? so you play all day?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2015, 11:26:47 AM »

I'm watching this from when you had your first page of comments. Had my fair share of doubts about how this will end up, but ain't gonna lie... you guys seem to pull your weights and eventually deliver some steam worth product.
You have my attention!  Toast Right

2D Artist & Animator - https://www.behance.net/AlexNae

I used to be here often:
The Underground King  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60979
Game Of Foot  > https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58338.0
J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »

My background is in fine art printmaking (only made the move to game development just over a year ago)  So I'm loving the woodcut inspired art style! Keen to see how this turns out.

If I hadn't started taking printmaking courses during my final years of my undergrad, I would've never started this project. Printmaking is criminally underrated in the art world. Thank you!

I think the added grey improves the contrast greatly, much less harsh on the eyes. I think there's still some issue with picking out the main character and the floating thing from the background elements, as in your last gif. Perhaps it's worth experimenting with a white halo/stroke of a certain thickness around animating objects? It's a difficult line to walk, I know, you want to keep the pure simplicity of black and white, yet also maintain visual interest and visual clarity.

Good point about the outlines, we'll see what we can do! Thank you.

I'm watching this from when you had your first page of comments. Had my fair share of doubts about how this will end up, but ain't gonna lie... you guys seem to pull your weights and eventually deliver some steam worth product.
You have my attention!  Toast Right
Nice and unique aesthetic! I like the spotlight effect and black backgrounds. Makes for a goodbalance between light and dark.
Kinda spoopy? Nay sir, QUITE spoopy. Quite spoopy indeed!

Nice progress just came to say lookin' good.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you so much you guys, means a lot!

Here, have a little sneak peek at some level design stuff, on the house.

J.D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2015, 10:01:45 AM »

The demo level is all done and ready to go, here's a little .gif for Screenshot Saturday.

David Stanley
Level 0

I make animations and games for human consumption.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2015, 08:57:46 PM »

Really nice setpieces! I sure do enjoy big, creepy statues haha.  I may have missed on Twitter, but when/where is the demo available?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic