Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 09:46:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoyage - 2D Co-op Adventure
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Voyage - 2D Co-op Adventure  (Read 55539 times)
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

I'm surprised this is all done with Construct 2. How is your experience with it so far? You talked about its ease of use for a non-programmer, but I'm more interested in the performance aspect. On the Construct forums many people have been complaining about frame rate "jank", and their games can't possibly be as resource intensive as one with "little to no reuse of art assets" like yours.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 12:52:12 AM »

Yesssss, love the art and ponderous tone!

and statements like "jumping on to a platform at least twice the size of your character or wall jumping among other things was a big no-no in terms of game design." and "We’ve also chosen to refrain from using any form of in-game text and dialogue" - be still my beating heart!

jamesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 01:44:21 AM »

I love this project. The art is beautiful and I love that you're building in mechanics that help strengthen the bond between players. I'd love to hear more about how the mural-story system works - very intriguing!

Also, do you have any thoughts about control schemes/how the two players will play? Will it be local co-op on one machine, or LAN/internet?

You'll find my blog at james-patton.net
yanimstudio
Level 1

Red Goddess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 02:27:08 AM »

It looks so nice, i love the light you've used in the enviroments, all the best!

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »

This looks wonderful. I saw a video recently dissecting a co-op mechanic which might be of interest to you guys.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm surprised this is all done with Construct 2. How is your experience with it so far? You talked about its ease of use for a non-programmer, but I'm more interested in the performance aspect. On the Construct forums many people have been complaining about frame rate "jank", and their games can't possibly be as resource intensive as one with "little to no reuse of art assets" like yours.
The frame-rate stutter "jank" seems to be an on-going issue no matter how resource heavy a project is. That said, it hasn't been much of an issue for us. There was stuttering a few versions back but we're not experiencing anything of that magnitude at the moment.

Regarding performance in general, our scenes/layouts are around 10k pixels in width and we're using multiple effects at all times. The two main characters have about 35 animations each (and growing) which equals roughly 350 frames per character. Current estimated image memory is 200-350mb per layout. We are trying our best to regularly optimize and be wary of asset usage.

Everything is running in 1080p, 60fps on dedicated graphics and 40-50fps on my brother's Surface Pro 2 (Intel HD4400). We're shooting for 60fps on decent CPU's with integrated graphics. I can't promise anything but based on current performance measures, I'm feeling optimistic.

Yesssss, love the art and ponderous tone!

and statements like "jumping on to a platform at least twice the size of your character or wall jumping among other things was a big no-no in terms of game design." and "We’ve also chosen to refrain from using any form of in-game text and dialogue" - be still my beating heart!
Thank you for noticing, creating a believable experience is very important to us.

I love this project. The art is beautiful and I love that you're building in mechanics that help strengthen the bond between players. I'd love to hear more about how the mural-story system works - very intriguing!

Also, do you have any thoughts about control schemes/how the two players will play? Will it be local co-op on one machine, or LAN/internet?
The question of offering online co-op is still on-going for us. I did actually manage to get online running early on but it was not as fluid as I wanted it to be. I haven't fiddled with it since but I do intend to revisit again.

It looks so nice, i love the light you've used in the enviroments, all the best!
Thank you!

nightvisioncarpetbomb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2015, 04:37:32 PM »

This is overwhelmingly pretty to look at.  I especially like the immersion provided by the background / foreground, like they're hugging the characters.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »

Definitely support your decision to have a text-less story - with the type of gameplay you are setting up, and the visuals, I think you have everything you need to tell the story right there. The idea of having interactive murals/story structures is right on.

This is just so PRETTY. Keep it up guys!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »

The walk cycles are both looking a little sluggish to me. I feel bad for pointing it out since everything is looking so amazing, but seeing how nicely animated the gif where one is pulling the other up a ledge, I feel the run can be tweaked a bit to be just as good.

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 01:44:44 AM »

The walk cycles are both looking a little sluggish to me. I feel bad for pointing it out since everything is looking so amazing, but seeing how nicely animated the gif where one is pulling the other up a ledge, I feel the run can be tweaked a bit to be just as good.
Yup, I agree. It might be a number of things, I think it's mostly my fault since the animations differ from the actual photoshop animations at the moment. I also need to tweak the running speed to correlate with the animation's timing. Tweaks will be made!

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »

Yup, I agree. It might be a number of things, I think it's mostly my fault since the animations differ from the actual photoshop animations at the moment. I also need to tweak the running speed to correlate with the animation's timing. Tweaks will be made!

Yeah. photoshop is a bit weird with it's timing. With some tweaks i'm sure it will look great!

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

This is so beautiful, I don't even dare to ask you guys how many hours were spent on the art..

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »

Single-player cooperative mode

We’ve only briefly touched on the subject of Yonder being a cooperative adventure, so I’d like to elaborate specifically on the game being cooperative even if you were to choose to play this game by yourself.

Click image for better quality

The example demonstrates switching between characters as well as a follow/unfollow mechanic for use in certain situations. I’d like to stress that these mechanics are not final and can be subject to change as we progress.

For the single-player cooperative mode to not feel cumbersome or annoying we're trying to streamline cooperative interactions so that the character following automatically responds to your actions. That being said, right now the AI is rather rudimentary and needs improvement. Our goal is to invoke the feeling of sharing an adventure with someone even if you were to play through the whole game by yourself.

Of course, if you do want to share the adventure with friends, they will be able to jump in and out at any given time of your play-through.

GrahamOfLegend
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »

Good God, this game looks beautiful!!!! Damn.

ayamflow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »

Holly molly
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »

Oh my  Blink This is incredible you guys!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2015, 03:22:23 AM »

The art style and animation on this is awesome! It's got a nice unique feel to it. Posting to follow Smiley

rjcade
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »

Very curious to hear more about how the game will play, but one thing's for sure, it's gorgeous!
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »

Holly cow this is simply stunning!!!!!! Please keep on the good work guys it cannot be this game must be released one day.

You've got talent, really, just be careful with the kind of development tools you're doing behind and make sure it's not gonna let you down in the middle of such a promising development.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 03:14:19 PM »

well this looks lovely!

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 07:26:31 AM »

Game design

We mentioned before that gameplay mechanics in Yonder are oriented towards realism, though this does not mean that unrealistic situations won’t occur in the game. However, we still want the overall design to be grounded in some sort of realism.

Wait, how is this realistic?

The term “suspension of disbelief” comes up regularly during our discussions. In what way do we want our audience to temporarily accept the reality determined by our in-game rules and is there a way to make this reality as plausible as possible?

With linear storytelling some fail-states can end up being detrimental to the aforementioned “suspension of disbelief”. An example of such fail-states are when one is forced to replay an already experienced section of a game. Yonder will not have any of these sort of fail-states.

Basically, it will be hard to actually fail at something in Yonder simply because we want the emphasis to be on other things such as traversal, discovery and story.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic