Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:42:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoyage - 2D Co-op Adventure
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Voyage - 2D Co-op Adventure  (Read 55478 times)
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 02:32:04 PM »

Stunning! I love looking at the progress you're making! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »

Looking amazing, and the dev posts you've made so far inspire a great deal of confidence in the quality of the end product.  I'm saving my pennies, very excited to play this!

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 12:08:26 PM »

Dumping the GIFS I posted in the Screenshot Saturday thread for safekeeping.

Click image for better quality

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

You continue to amaze me! Beautiful work guys!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Kal-Drey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »

This game looks incredible. Keep up the great work.
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »

This looks really cool guys, very evocative. Look forward to seeing more.

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »

Visual development

Okay, time to talk about the overall style choice and visual creation process of Yonder.

Early Concept

Our project began with a sense of urgency triggered by various events. This made our pre-visualization phase very short. At most we had a handful of sketches before we started finalizing the style of our game. And so the style ended up a bit more detailed than originally intended. Although production wise this choice did not affect our time budget by a significant margin. Problem solving and decision making are still the two main factors that consume most of our time.

To save time and to aid our process we created a colour script that emulated one in-game 1080p screen of each planned environment. We then created around five colour variations of each piece and printed them out so that we could move them around to try out a number of different colour moods.

Our expectations were that we would be able to extend from said pieces to complete each entire environment and as a result save time on our layout creations. However, since we created the colour script before we had finalized interaction, event and story planning we knew that changes would be unavoidable.

Creation of layouts

After we had decided on a style, we started roughly sketching out the entire game which mostly consisted of doodles and notes. This helped us finalize some of our harder decisions regarding story and the overall player journey. The most time consuming parts of creating layouts for us are interactions and story events. When complications occur, whatever they may be, we find it is best to move on to a different part in the process as to not get stuck and return to the issue another time.

Another time trap is Photoshop document structure. Keeping our documents tidy really helps save time. Since we are working with a lot of layers it can easily get messy if we don’t organize. Creating a place-holder document with groups, layers, names and overall structure setup is a good way to streamline things.

After preparations are made, we start extending on what we have from our colour script and earlier layouts. When we don't have a clear image of an environment, it helps dropping in references or textures to create a collage for inspiration purposes. Whatever tool or shortcut that can speed things up, within limits as to not affect the quality, we try to use it. This is also the part where we drop in shapes that we created earlier during our pre-production. It’s basically a matter of filling in blanks and trying to keep in mind shapes and framing.

When everything is sketched out, it is all finally ready to be coloured. We tend to work a lot with masks so that it is easier to change or tweak colours. Colouring is probably the quickest part of creating the environments since we already have the colours picked out from pre-production. Although final changes will be made to fit adjacent layouts.

And last but not least is time management. It is vital to always have a bird's-eye view of a project so that it does not grow too big in terms of time and scope.

Kikekun
Level 0

Super Awesome Hyper Dimensional Mega Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »

Beautiful work!
We are also working on a hand-painted side scrolling game like you guys, although the style and pace is very different from Yonder: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=27.0
But yeah, simply amazing!

Twitter: @SuperMegaTeam
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »

Beautiful work!
We are also working on a hand-painted side scrolling game like you guys, although the style and pace is very different from Yonder: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=27.0
But yeah, simply amazing!

Thank you, it's always great to see games with a unique style. Congratulations on being published by Adult Swim Games by the way!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2015, 03:57:05 AM »

This is beautiful.

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

Hello! It's been a while since our last update..

Johan has been working hard at finishing up some new environments, as well as a boat load of animations. Our characters are really starting to come to life now with 450 unique frames each and growing. I have mostly been fiddling with our engine, re-writing a few things and implementing new mechanics. Our next step is to have an almost feature complete chunk of our game so that we can finally make a trailer showing off a variety of environments, gameplay mechanics and things that we haven't yet mentioned. We look forward to sharing more soon!

In the meantime, we adore optional interactions in games, so we decided to add a few character interactions for players to tinker with while enjoying the scenery. Here's an example of such an interaction..

That's it for now! Lastly, feel free to ask any questions and I will make sure to answer them as best I can.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

This keeps getting better and more beautiful. Keep it up! :-)

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Modog
Level 0

Rogue Knight Mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

You have a date for release?

Finding what I can do better
marcuz
Level 0

I draw stuff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »

Beautiful art and concepts! I look forward to this!

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »

This keeps getting better and more beautiful. Keep it up! :-)
Thanks for the support, Siddhartha!

You have a date for release?
Not a specific date yet, but we're estimating a release around the latter half of 2016.

Beautiful art and concepts! I look forward to this!
Thank you!

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2015, 10:43:54 PM »

wow quite the atmosphere!

eliasdaler
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »

Looks totally amazing. Great job!
PRDXCL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »

STUNNING Hand Thumbs Up Left
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Here's a GIF of one of the murals in the game. It's still very much a work-in-progress.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »

Looking great! I love the contrast of the dark blues and the orangey glowing light. Can't wait to see more, it's like christmas every time you post haha 

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic