Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:00:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVoyage - 2D Co-op Adventure
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Voyage - 2D Co-op Adventure  (Read 55557 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2015, 03:24:17 AM »

Seen a few gifs of this around the place and absolutely loved the look of it so nice to find the devlog so I can keep an eye on this more. I get a Mysterious Cities of Gold vibe which is always a good thing in my book.

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »

Looking great! I love the contrast of the dark blues and the orangey glowing light. Can't wait to see more, it's like christmas every time you post haha  

Seen a few gifs of this around the place and absolutely loved the look of it so nice to find the devlog so I can keep an eye on this more. I get a Mysterious Cities of Gold vibe which is always a good thing in my book.

Thank you both for the wonderful support. Comments like these make me feel bad for not updating often, hah. I'm going to see if I can write something for the log very soon!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:52:57 PM by purplemonkey » Logged

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »

Odd beings

We would like to introduce a different group of characters for Yonder.

During our concept phase we kept refering to these characters as "ghosts" because we really wanted them to feel as such. Something seemingly present and not present at the same time, able to fade in and out of the physical plane of existence.

Click image for better quality

For these oddities to stand out we needed to differentiate them from other characters and creatures in the game. One method for such a contrast is using a type of cross dissolve. This approach is also a way for us to control our scope by limiting frame count giving us time to create even more animations. However, as of this moment we are still in need of additional experimenting to achieve our desired effect.

These odd characters can be seen and interacted with throughout the kids journey. They are part of the overall mystery of the story and will play an important role in the game. We look forward to showing you more soon!

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2015, 11:17:01 PM »

New characters look great and the colors are, like, perfect! If I may ask, what program is Johan using to make all of this beautiful art?

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2015, 02:21:43 AM »

New characters look great and the colors are, like, perfect! If I may ask, what program is Johan using to make all of this beautiful art?
Thanks, Kyle! Johan is using a Surface Pro 2 with Adobe Photoshop for painting as well as animating.

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »

ALIENS! gotta be aliens Cool

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 05:40:17 PM »

That's such a freaky looking... entity.

de11ed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2015, 06:58:07 AM »

I agree with Kyle, that art is just jaw dropping. These awesome graphics makes me wanna go and learn how to paint, then I realize how hard it is... And how much I suck at it..
But damn, keep up the awesome job guys!

composer • producer • songwriter • human
Website | Twitter | Soundcloud
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »

Wow, that's a pretty looking game. Looking forward to the next updates.
Question: how did you achieve the reflections on the ponds of water?

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »

ALIENS! gotta be aliens Cool
That's such a freaky looking... entity.
My Word! Gentleman
I agree with Kyle, that art is just jaw dropping. These awesome graphics makes me wanna go and learn how to paint, then I realize how hard it is... And how much I suck at it..
But damn, keep up the awesome job guys!

Thank you! Anyone can learn how to draw, at least that's what my brother tells me.. so keep at it (but only if you want to)!

Wow, that's a pretty looking game. Looking forward to the next updates.
Question: how did you achieve the reflections on the ponds of water?

Thanks! For reflections in general, most of the time we simply duplicate and flip our sprites. Other times it's drawn specifically for the purpose of the scene. After all that we add some small water effects and that's about it. Hope that helps!

pixelballoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »

Oh wow, the art style you've got here is absolutely stunning.

The only critisism I could possibly give right now is that in some of the screenshots it can be hard to differentiate between the background and gameplay layers.

Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2015, 05:27:49 AM »

We've been playing around with mist in environments, it's still a work in progress though. Also seen in the GIF is one of the oddities implemented as part of a little puzzle..

Oh wow, the art style you've got here is absolutely stunning.

The only critisism I could possibly give right now is that in some of the screenshots it can be hard to differentiate between the background and gameplay layers.

Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.
Things will definitely be more readable once people get to experience the game running in full-screen instead of small screenshots/gifs. However, I must also say that this is a deliberate choice for us. Since our game is a rather slow-paced experience with no real sense of danger, at least not in the way most platformers are, we can let our players roam about the environment as they see fit. And so, in our case, we don't really want to differentiate "gameplay layers" and backgrounds because that would end up hurting the sense of presence and somewhat realistic environment tone that we are pursuing. With all that said, where interactions should be obvious we are using light/color and movement to make these parts stand out compared to its surroundings and that's not to mention the UI that we haven't even begun working on as of yet.

I might do a write-up with some actual examples later on but for now I hope this explains some of our thoughts regarding this matter.

Edit: Also, happy holidays everyone! Hand Clap

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2016, 09:25:53 AM »

Okay, sliding down slopes is working pretty well at the moment and we've added rain as well!

PixelDensity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »

Jaw Droppingly Beautiful. And that GIF above with the glow on the ruins, soooo good. I love it all.

3D Artist.
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »

I think I felt a raindrop!

pixelballoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2016, 12:14:38 AM »

Since our game is a rather slow-paced experience with no real sense of danger, at least not in the way most platformers are, we can let our players roam about the environment as they see fit.

That makes a lot of sense! The new gifs are absolutely stunning too, can't wait to see more!

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »

This gets more captivating and atmospheric every time i catch up with the progress. Loving the glows on the wall. Really exiting thread.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »

When I first started trying to make a game, I thought about making a non-tile based game as well. Then I thought "that's insane!". Man this looks so beautiful and organic Shocked.

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 06:30:52 AM »

wow! this is look very beautiful, I am really looking to play it! Coffee

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »

Ughhh it's just so pretty. Really like the effects, etc you are adding. Can't wait to see what the final product is going to look like. Any OST samples yet?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic