Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:06:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs Sorcerobe - New demo!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Sorcerobe - New demo!  (Read 6912 times)
B
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:31 PM »

Hi guys. This is my game Sorcerobe. I've been working on it for about a year and a half now (new to programming, I'm slow) and I've got the groundwork mostly laid out so I figured this would be a good time to start up a thread.

It's a fixed-camera perspective puzzle game where the player is a set of animated wizard robes. Some direct inspirations are Solstice, 2d Zeldas, Portal, To help give you a bit of an idea of where I'm hoping to take the game

here's some gifs

A big feature of the game is an ingame level editor, which is what I and anyone else will use to make the levels. In the final release I'm hoping that people will be able to share their own puzzles through a website or maybe through the steam workshop, that's a far ways off though.

there's a demo on itch you can try if you're curious. It's two levels and is a few months out of date as of this post but it could help give you a feel for the game
http://boen.itch.io/sorcerobe

Also tumblr http://bn05.tumblr.com and twitter https://twitter.com/Sorcerobe

I'm doing the art/programming, a friend is working on sound

Thanks for reading, I'll update every few days to show what I'm working on more specifically
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:12:14 PM by B » Logged
purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »

That in-game level editor looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing more of this!

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:08:36 PM »

I really like the look of the game, it seems like you're taking an approach that's a nice departure from a lot of games with a retro art style.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »

Thanks for replying guys! I'm glad you like how the art is right now, the environments are still kind of basic but I haven't gotten the functionality into the editor for adding detail sprites and stuff like that yet.

Yeah, lots of work has gone into getting the editor where it is right now. It's definitely paying off though

Anyways, the main thing I've been working on over the last few days is the health/powerup system. the way I'm setting it up right now is basically you have X number of ability slots, which you can use to equip abilities you'll find in the levels. The abilities also double as your health though, and an equipped ability is destroyed every time you take damage! so if you have 3 slots, you've got up to 3 free hits before you die. I still need to figure out the balance for this, such as if abilities respawn, but I'm happy to be getting the rough concept into the game

Here's what it looks like right now. The blue gremlin enemy doesn't have any actual attack animation and the player doesn't have any taking damage animation beyond a little sprite wobble I added, so readability could definitely be improved. I also need to add a sprite animation of the abilties on the hud shattering when you take damage to help make it more apparent what's going on

The first gif has a damage flash timing that didn't work very well when i recorded it, I've got that fixed now though

That's all for now!
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »

hihihi

I've been busy unpacking from a move but I managed to get a few small things going today. I've got automatic tilesets working (you can see that with the rivet tileset automatically placing border tiles) along with the shadows, and I've also made the fog system more accurate by making higher & lower height floors scale the tile color closer towards the fog color instead of just to black. it's a small change but I think it really helps make everything look more consistent, especially at extremes

I really need to get some sliders going on these menus, repeated manual number input isn't slick at ALL
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:52:30 AM »

Wow that looks incredible. Shocked

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 02:56:32 AM »

Your in-game editor is impressive, good job! Are you using any engine or is it totally self made?

B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »

Thanks! I'm making the game/editor in Gamemaker: Studio. To me, it seemed like the right place to start learning how to program
Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:22 AM »

Hey, good to see you here! Been following your progress on tumblr. Keep it up!

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »

Hey, overall the game looks really cool. I really love the art on the characters and that flowing green river looks super cool, but it seems to clash a little with the block and lighting. I mean, they also look great, but don't match.

Have you considered having the lighting and the shading on the ground dithered, in the same way that you have the shading on the characters? I don't think I've ever seen that done dynamically, but in my head it looks amazing and I'm about 14% sure it's possible.

Also, I have grown to love GM:Studio so it's really cool that you're making it in this.

terri
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 06:04:11 PM »

looking sweet

Cristiano Vitorino
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »

Quite unique style. Intrigued to see how the gameplay will turn out.
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:54 AM »

Hey, overall the game looks really cool. I really love the art on the characters and that flowing green river looks super cool, but it seems to clash a little with the block and lighting. I mean, they also look great, but don't match.

Have you considered having the lighting and the shading on the ground dithered, in the same way that you have the shading on the characters? I don't think I've ever seen that done dynamically, but in my head it looks amazing and I'm about 14% sure it's possible.

Also, I have grown to love GM:Studio so it's really cool that you're making it in this.

Oh yeah, that river sprite definitely needs work. It's basically a placeholder at this point. As for dithered lighting, there's actually no reason I shouldn't be able to do that because all the shading and lighting on the tiles is accomplished with sprite swapping. I've never considered it before and that could actually be pretty cool, I'll try some tests to see how it might look
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »

Powerup system is all smoothed out now! Powerups now have their own objects, and you can pick up any powerup in any slot and replace them and stuff like that. man this took a lot more work than I imagined but It's all done now and seems pretty easy to add new powerups to, so that's cool

I should probably explain what each powerup currently does briefly.

Green is your interaction ability. right now it lets you pick up/throw objects, and you'll be able to pull levers and stuff with it too. you can also wiggle a sword around to bap enemies, and I'll be adding a grabbable shield object you can use too.

(this is an old gif but it's a great example of the sword)

Gold is basically a ground pound, and It lets you weigh things down yourself (cloth robes generally don't weigh very much!). right now this can push buttons and smash boxes, in the future I wanna add spring platforms you can bounce yourself with and flippable tiles you can slam down near to flip.

Blue is a new one i've been working on today since getting the powerup equipping system in place, and right now its main focus is mobility. letting go while moving gives you a short dash, and letting go while stationary basically makes you jump. I'm thinking of giving it an electricity theme, so in the future maybe you could use this to ride along conductive wires or power generators or teleport through metal objects or stuff like that. There's no sprites or effects or anything so it is a little bare right now but hopefully you get the idea

You can see in this gif here, gold and blue abilities combine nicely by letting you jump into the air and then slam down.

That's all for now! I might work on spring objects next, Or continue constructing the blue ability. Or tilesets. Or sound and fog triggers. Or a million other things
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »

Looking really cool, will check the gameplay at a point where I'm not busy.. Looking forward to that !

- - - -
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:11 AM »

I very much like the aesthetic. Kind of reminds me of Legend of Dungeon, but with higher quality sprites. Gameplay looks great too, I'll be watching this.

DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »

That lighting is too sexy. Can't wait to see more Beer!

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »

Awesomeness

Its looking incredible, I dig this type of aesthetics. Can't wait to see more!

B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »

thanks for the kind words everybody. here's my current progress on the electricity effect!

the "charge" around the player still needs work, but I think the trail effect is getting there
B
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 12:50:45 AM »

figured i'd update and show you guys what I've been up to again. I spent a bunch of time retooling the player collisions to be good enough to handle the fast speeds of the electric dodge. It's much nicer to control when you don't have to worry about clipping through walls!

after that I decided to finally get tile texture/color painting in. basically now I can add a lot more variation without much overhead because all I have to do is create the sprites and add them to a list

getting quick visual feedback is a ton of fun. I just have to fix a few niggling bugs with the tools and then I can go wild
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic