Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:15:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGetOut! is a story-driven action-platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GetOut! is a story-driven action-platformer  (Read 458 times)
droxon
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »

GetOut! is a story driven 2D action platformer, inspired by games like limbo and super meat boy.

The game is about love, about how far would you go to save someone you love... but this time you are not saving a princess or girlfriend. You are saving your own daughter.

GetOut! has been in development for about a year, and it has an amazing story that I can't wait to share with the world.

The story touches your heart, its a beautiful but at the same time sad story with an unexpected ending.

But is not just about the story, the gameplay is really fun and it has a lot of action.

SORRY THE DEMO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, thanks to the people that tested and gave feedback Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:26:17 AM by droxon » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:13:15 PM »

It would probably be a good idea to put some screenshots in your post to attract people.

Anyway, I get an error when I try to download it: "The file you are looking for seems to be unavailable at the moment. Please come back later."

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
droxon
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »

Really? that's odd... it should work fine.

Does anybody else has problems downloading the demo?
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »

Works fine now. Had you just made it available when I tried to download it the first time? Maybe Gamefront takes a while to actually activate the download option.

-I'm always happy to see a zip archive, and always disappointed when I see an installer inside. I test dozens of games a week and sometimes three or four versions of a single game. Being able to just unzip things is so much more convenient.

-A windowed option would be nice (Edit: I found out when I went to quit that I could've pressed Escape. That's not particularly intuitive. Not many games use Escape that way.)

-The camera lags really far behind the character. That seems like a problem, particularly with a character that moves so fast. I need to see what's ahead of me.

-A saw killed me on the...third screen, I think. I was standing on raised ground with it below and to the right of me, so I wouldn't expect to die from that.

-The background sounds are nice, but could probably be made a little more sparse and play randomly. As it is, it quickly got annoying and repetitive.

-It would be really easy to miss picking up the handgun.

-I found the handgun really useless anyway. I thought it would be more powerful. The machine-gun is better, but also easy to go without. If the real game gets harder after that, it would probably be bad if the player chose not to take the gun with them, so the level design should require that they pick it up. Put some obstacle in their way that needs to be shot.

-I really hate the single-block platforms everywhere. It just doesn't work well with such high-speed movement. Maybe it's different with analog control, but I was playing with a keyboard and it was just annoying to deal with all those.

-When a game forces my browser to open a Kickstarter page, that makes me less likely to want to help out. It's too pushy for me. Plus, I imagine that a lot of people who try your demo in the future will have already come from there.

-I wasn't a huge fan of Super Meat Boy, but maybe maybe people who like SMB will like this sort of movement/control. I'm not sure the guns add anything to the game, though. They seemed pointless and stopping to shoot things ruins the flow, so it felt better to just avoid enemies.

It was pretty good. Apart from the annoying blocks and my dislike of using Spacebar for shooting, I thought it handled well. The graphics and sound were nice. The AI wasn't particularly easy to trick into falling into pits. Some of the earlier level design was nice, with jumps that felt like they'd be great for speedrunners in that the spacing of things was just perfect if you got your timing right.

droxon
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »

Thanks Quicksand-S I very much appreciate your feedback.

Is the kind of feedback that I'm looking for.

The game is far from completion so I will make sure to make huge improvements to the final game.

I will add update the demo in the next couple days.

And yes to be honest I also find the keyboard controllers a little annoying, but I think that's just personal preference, I believe that platformers are meant to be play with a gamepad.

Thanks for the taking the time to playing the game and for being honest about it.

Cheers,
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 12:49:48 PM »

I believe that platformers are meant to be play with a gamepad.

I just went and tried it with a gamepad. You're not using analog control for some reason (To be more like Super Meat Boy?), so I stand by my "tiny platforms are annoying" statement. They just ruin the nice feeling of running through the game at high speed. Maybe if they were spaced a bit better, so that a well-timed jump could land on them perfectly, they would be fine. What I don't like about them now is that I have to slow down in order to land on them. It's not that they're hard to land on, just that it takes the fun out of moving through a level.

I also noticed that when playing in windowed mode the game goes into full-screen whenever you enter a new area.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic