Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412011 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58494 Members - Latest Member: aeterponis

July 05, 2024, 05:47:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingManifest: Procedural Story-Telling Game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Manifest: Procedural Story-Telling Game  (Read 2536 times)
TikiHubGames
Level 0

Telling your Story!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 04:26:53 AM »

Hello Saithir! Thank you for the feedback Smiley

The cursor alignment is actually next on the list, we'll be aligning it to the hotspot instead of the bottom right corner this time, I had noticed this myself, we just haven't gotten to it yet :/.

The Web Player Loader is done, I'll be integrating a Desktop Loader next.

The cursor is a great idea! I'll work on that or some other solution. I did add a "Name" suggestion in the last patch which I thought would help a little bit with this, but a blinking cursor line is a perfect final touch to that I think.

As for the camera - I am using a Perspective mode camera to give the feeling of sitting at the desk, rather than an isometric view. I could set it to Isometric to avoid this completely, but I'll try to tweak the camera and maybe even add some coding that might adjust it's scope depending on your window size? I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that yet, I'll come up with something. I'll make this a priority actually. Any input anyone?

www.tikihubgames.com
Manifest: A Procedural Story-Telling Game
Alpha Demo playable on our website!
Saithir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 05:59:56 AM »

The cursor is a great idea! I'll work on that or some other solution. I did add a "Name" suggestion in the last patch which I thought would help a little bit with this, but a blinking cursor line is a perfect final touch to that I think.

While you're at it, you could probably make it so that the input box clears automatically when you click on it, and make the 'Name' hint some shade of gray (not too light, but different from what you enter with black font) - these changes (plus blinking cursor line) would make it similar to what people are used to dealing with input boxes with hints on the web - and these just speak for themselves, 'fill me in'. Wink

Don't know enough about Unity to help you with the camera though, I'd try to tackle it by trying to detect the window size (the docs suggest there's a method for that in Screen api) and moving the camera a bit towards the player (which I have no idea how to do), depending if it's lower or equal to 1024 - it doesn't need much more logic than that, since it cuts the sides at the same place as in my screenshot, doesn't matter if I run it in 1024x768 or 640x480.

TikiHubGames
Level 0

Telling your Story!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »

I haven't gone ahead to test this yet (I have to get ready for my retail job at this point in my day), but it sounds like the screen size has to do with the aspect ratio in particular then. That should give me some direction to work in to fix that. I did do a nice little fading canvas effect this morning, and made the Name Box have some more intense color changes to start. Then some proofreading just to keep that even. I'm going to tackle your suggestions when I get home. Most of that is easy enough to implement.

Funny enough, the blinking cursor may be the most time consuming. It is actually built into the name field option, but because the text plugin I'm using doesn't support the inputfield gameobject for some reason, I'm using a text plugin piece that is updated based upon player input, but overlay on the inputfield object, which has the original text alpha'd out... So to do the blinking cursor, I'd have to actually program a blinking cursor. Not difficult, but it's not a few clicks :p.

The rest I can probably integrate for a patch tonight, gray text that clears, etc.

Thanks again Saithir, great idea! It will really help the game's first impression I think.

www.tikihubgames.com
TikiHubGames
Level 0

Telling your Story!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 04:02:22 AM »

New Update! OP updated Smiley

Current Build:
Manifest Development Build 0.024
May 20, 2015
Θ Additional proofreading.
Θ Canvas fades in with lighting instead of blinking on.
Θ Intensified Name Box color change; Set Name suggestion to gray; Name suggestion now clears when clicking Name box, and re-appears if no text is entered.
Θ Added basic splash and icon imagery; Game now shows Manifest Cover Image while loading the scene.
Θ Increased support to resolutions at exactly 5:4/4:3/16:9/16:10 ratios.
Θ ESC button now prompts the game to exit after confirmation.

Planned updates:
Θ PC/MacOSX/Linux Loading Screen improvements.
Θ New cursor images to line up along hotspot.
Θ Blinking text cursor for Name Box.
Θ Full Page graphics to go with the Stories.
Θ Story content, of course!

Thank you in advance to anyone who tests the game Smiley. We are continuing to look for any and all feedback on Manifest.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:33:53 AM by TikiHubGames » Logged

www.tikihubgames.com
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic