Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:23:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames30 vs 60 fps
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: 30 vs 60 fps  (Read 7251 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2015, 07:59:37 AM »

tearing, lag, hiccups are more terrible to game than pure fps

Stable framerates and Vsync does a lot to game too, more than framerates

however now there is Gsync, framerate is so last years

I also wait for some game to implement 2frames motion blurring to keep 30fps warmth into 60fps game lol

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2015, 09:07:58 AM »

Yeah, you are speaking as if every last game was not a bleak frankestein of 2009 tenoutatens.
But hey, there also pixel games. Nuclear Throne stutters during explosions and Rogue legacy works at 4-9 fps on my laptop. It also requires shader support. Me neither.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »

just about any pc monitor can run at least 60hz, doesn't it? my 100 bucks tft can't do shit but there's a massive difference between 30 and 60 fps to me. I honestly can't believe all you guys don't notice the micro lags in direct comparison
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »

I honestly can't believe all you guys don't notice the micro lags in direct comparison
I think it is because some have never consciously cared about it, just like with movies.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »

just about any pc monitor can run at least 60hz, doesn't it? my 100 bucks tft can't do shit but there's a massive difference between 30 and 60 fps to me. I honestly can't believe all you guys don't notice the micro lags in direct comparison

I can see the difference, but it matter only if the situation call for it. Sonic generation is best appreciated at 60fps and higher because what the game is about.

For example I like in cinema that my FOV is full of the movie, so I go to front row sit ... 25fps don't do it to me anymore (the chug make me sick, it's distinctly perceptible) and there is no incentive to go further from the screen if the fov is the same as my TV at home (in the era of big flat led tv), even my tablet have a correct FOV since I have it close to me ...

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

60hz feels really choppy in a game like quake if you try playing in 120 for a while, I think anyone would notice really.

Same if you were looking at something at 240Hz and switch back to 120Hz. I think 240Hz is the true limit for most people but I wouldn't be surprised if I get proven wrong with 480Hz.

Then again I think the problem is relative framerates... I can play games at 15FPS without noticing it (

) but then I look at something at 30FPS and suddenly it feels extremely smooth. If I go from 60FPS to 30FPS it feels extremely choppy, instead.

Also vsync and frameskip matter. I once made a game with a 100Hz timer on a 60Hz display, without even bothering to implement vsync (I was young, hey Tongue), so it meant tearing everywhere but you wouldn't notice it since the tear moved all over the place. The difference between the game running at 99FPS and 101FPS was huge, despite the difference between other close framerates barely being noticeable. It was like the framerate equivalent of sonic boom. I'd expect this to become a serious problem once monitors with variable refresh rate become common, since they will trigger the same issue.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »

virtua racing doesnt look choppy at all to me but thats because it uses some tricks to give the illusion of smoothness maybe?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:24:53 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:05 PM »

Nah, it doesn't at all, maybe the recorded video does though... Maybe check

, which is on an emulator?

But yeah, 15FPS doesn't really feel choppy unless your reactions are extremely quick (enough to hit the framerate wall) or you just came from seeing something at a higher framerate.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »

I remember Mario Kart Super Circuit feeling mega horrible. Was it because of the frame rate or because of purely bad programming on Nintendo's part?

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »

I didn't mean to say that 60fps are superior to 30 fps. It just makes for a different effect. The amount of fps have a huge impact on how interactions feel; I think this can be utilized creatively.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »

for example: higher fps may be utilized to make a game feel more responsive, smooth and exciting, while lower fps can be effective at making them feel more slow and boring, as if the game is badly programmed or running on insufficient hardware, if that's what you're going for.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

I can tell the difference, but the 60FPS stuff in that comparison site looks unnatural to me.

It's like the animations were created with 30FPS in mind, but then they're sped up to 60FPS.

Also you get some games -- shmups and fighting games in particular -- that are really particular about frame timing.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »

I remember Mario Kart Super Circuit feeling mega horrible. Was it because of the frame rate or because of purely bad programming on Nintendo's part?

neither. the 2D mario kart games (snes, 64, and gba) were always really fucking weird. they have a strangely disorienting (for some) parallax effect that doesn't quite make sense

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2015, 11:39:52 PM »

64 has billboard cars, but the levels are true 3D…

I do agree that it hasn't aged well tho. Double Dash is an incredible improvement and I just can't go back to 64 now. It's unplayable. I've tried.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2015, 03:11:24 AM »

for example: higher fps may be utilized to make a game feel more responsive, smooth and exciting, while lower fps can be effective at making them feel more slow and boring, as if the game is badly programmed or running on insufficient hardware, if that's what you're going for.

but 30fps doesn't have to feel less responsive than let's say 60fps.
by your logic, making use of lower resolutions than you are technically capable of would be dumb as you can put less stuff on a screen.
or using low poly models over high poly models would be equally dumb since they are less realistic.
or yet another comparison I don't want to type out right now
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2015, 04:05:48 AM »

I used to play Tremulous at 120+ fps and it felt way smoother than when I clocked it down to 60 or 90. Definitely the higher FPS (and more consistent), the better.

Funny anecdote: playing Smash Bros. Melee (60fps) on a PAL television (50fps) meant that 1frame moves sometimes wouldn't appear at all but still have their effect, causing hilarious reactions.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2015, 04:20:57 AM »

by your logic, making use of lower resolutions than you are technically capable of would be dumb as you can put less stuff on a screen.
or using low poly models over high poly models would be equally dumb since they are less realistic.

it makes a difference in responsiveness for twitchy action games but is p much irrelevant for anything else
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2015, 04:32:50 AM »

it makes a difference in responsiveness for twitchy action games but is p much irrelevant for anything else

I don't feel like this universal though. Like some games I've played feel less responsive at lower framerates, but in other games it feels like the input is still processed as quickly, stuff just happens across the board.

I think what's really problematic is when you get frames being /dropped/.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »

that happens when game logic is not tied to framerate i think?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic