Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:20:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshophelp me to be a better 2D artist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: help me to be a better 2D artist  (Read 2925 times)
Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »

hello, its been a while I didn't post anything here.
I hope I am in the right place. (also, sorry for my bad english)
so I am trying to be a better 2D artist (Tradition and Digital art, maybe not just specialy for games but yeah I like videogames and had the chance to participate to some Jam and some small game...)
anyway, enough talking, here is some random stuff, and I will continue to post new work or study here. Wizard

05 an Animation I did for I game I was working on (I hope I will finish it.)

06 more game stuff

anyway, I feel that I am stuck recently, I need advice and critiques, and I think that TIG community is what it can help me. thanks for your time.

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:26:36 AM »

It would help if you could specify something in particular that you need help with.

Otherwise my opinion is that you have very good art skills overall.  Your lineart is good as well as your sense of color, even your animations are decent.  My one nitpick is that your pixel art could use a little more detail or aliasing, but you could be going for a specific style so it's really hard to say.

Good work!

illuminatedspace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »

Your work that you've posted here looks freaking amazing. (there's more stuff between the pictures)

The only things I noticed scrolling through, is that your human figures have a little bit of weird proportions, but you picked some pictures that already have strange proportions to begin with. The other thing was, with the picture in the Donjon Crowler set with the robot in the isometric view. The robot looks mostly front view, but the walls are closer to top down.

I don't know that it's really a critique, but more of an observation. It seems like you put a lot more details on to things that I don't assume to be the main focus of the picture. For example in this one, the background is more sketchy, which makes sense because the guy is the focus, but then his shoes have more fine detail than the rest of him does.

In this picture the pink shirt on her stomach, has some really nice detailing, but it doesn't match the detail of the rest of the drawing.

I'm basically nit picking right now. I really like your style and your art is great to look at.

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »

sorry, it's been a while, the fact that I am not very good with English stop me to be very active on the forum (also have some society anxiety that doesn't help...)
posting on forums, take me more energy that it should! Waaagh!

Quote from: ryansumo
My one nitpick is that your pixel art could use a little more detail or aliasing, but you could be going for a specific style so it's really hard to say.

hard to say indeed, because I haven't finished the game, at this state of work I am not sure we can really talk about style, I think you're right, I do have some problem with anti-aliasing in my pixilated work, it's just that I don't really get it, I should find a way to practice it, specially that recently it have been a while a haven't done anything in pixel art...
Thanks a lot Ryansumo for your comment.
I am not very precise in what I need it because I don't know what I need to be a better 2d Artist, I have never been at an art School or else, and I think the fact that I never had a mentor have a lot to do with this.

Quote from: illuminatedspace
The only things I noticed scrolling through, is that your human figures have a little bit of weird proportions, but you picked some pictures that already have strange proportions to begin with.

am going to be honest, I really tried to be as accurate as I can (behalf faces), I really suck at drawing from models or reality and I don't like doing it neither, but since a lot of great artist advice to do it, I feel like a should doing it more, and I can understand why, it really helps, and I know that I should do more...

The other thing was, with the picture in the Donjon Crowler set with the robot in the isometric view. The robot looks mostly front view, but the walls are closer to top down.

I remember doing this on purpose, mostly because it's easier (I am a very lazy person!), but also because I wanted to have a very understandable silhouette for the characters,
I'm still doing it for others project, does it really look that wrong?
I also think that my inspiration is mostly from old video games, and a lot of them have that kind of view where technically characters don't follow the same perspective as the background.

It seems like you put a lot more details on to things that I don't assume to be the main focus of the picture.

yes, yes, you're right, thank you for pointing that, now I'm checking my other stuff and indeed I do that very often! I should be careful, it ruins the composition.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 03:10:02 AM »

you've got amazing skills.

pro: -diversity

con: -diversity

It's hard to pinpoint your personal style.
Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 05:23:36 AM »

thanks @bakkusa
Quote from: bakkusa
pro: -diversity

con: -diversity

It's hard to pinpoint your personal style.

hum, I see can see what you're talking about but can you be more specific please?

some new work:

9. A test animation i've done it as a test for a commercial ad (that it get canceled later... heh)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:29:01 AM by Senior-X » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:02:54 AM »

you have a great versatility in your workflow.
But by lookin at your tumblr/archive. at some point i got this little feeling that it could be a tumblr with drawings from different persons.
And the con comes from he fact that you're constantly drifting from realistic proportion to cartoon proportion than to realistic and at some point it triggers the anatomical errors in some of the drawings (13.) not because they are wrong but because they lack of something, a soul or something, it's like either you're hiding or you don't want to show yourself in the drawings.

(i love the skull headed red riding hood )

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »

Quote from: Bakkusa
the con comes from he fact that you're constantly drifting from realistic proportion to cartoon proportion than to realistic and at some point it triggers the anatomical errors in some of the drawings (13.)

well, I agree with you but am not sure if we can blame that am trying to learn how to draw by different style.

Quote from: Bakkusa
not because they are wrong but because they lack of something, a soul or something, it's like either you're hiding or you don't want to show yourself in the drawings.

I suppose what you feel about my work is that I don't want to just choose a style and stick to it for the rest of my life, and am not even sure if it's that important, I mean, this is how I see it, if its a serious dark project that I am going to work on it, I have to know how to choose a style that can fit to the mood, and same thing if its a shiny colorful project.
but yeah, I can understand that I should have at least one dominant style that anybody is going to identify as mine without putting my name on it...

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:53 AM »

There are plenty of good artists willing to help here but you are probably among the best already. Have you tried CGTalk or some other artists forum?

basementApe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

The good:
Very nice shading, light setups, character poses and expressions. My personal favorite is the girl with her trained zombie on a leash, lovely stuff Coffee

The less good:
There are perspective and anatomy issues throughout your character art that need addressing I think. I get the sense you have a natural talent that enables you to wing it fairly well, but all sorts of small niggles pop through that wouldn't happen with more anatomy studies. (Apologies if I'm wrong about that, anatomy can be tricky even with a lot of practice!)

Senior-X
Level 0

am not a pervert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »

There are plenty of good artists willing to help here but you are probably among the best already. Have you tried CGTalk or some other artists forum?

I posted on some artists forum, like some year ago, I got ignored, I was posting a lot without any response, so after a while I just stopped, maybe a should give a try again.
but the thing is right now I prefer posting on TIGForum because it's more focused on what I do than just "art" in general.

The good:
Very nice shading, light setups, character poses and expressions. My personal favorite is the girl with her trained zombie on a leash, lovely stuff Coffee

The less good:
There are perspective and anatomy issues throughout your character art that need addressing I think. I get the sense you have a natural talent that enables you to wing it fairly well, but all sorts of small niggles pop through that wouldn't happen with more anatomy studies. (Apologies if I'm wrong about that, anatomy can be tricky even with a lot of practice!)

thanks a lot for your time! that's very helpful!
I agree with anatomy studies, I was doing them a while ago, but recently I just stopped, thanks a lot for pointing that! and yes, they can be tricky...
then I don't agree with the natural talent, you should check my old drawing haha! link
Anyway, thanks a lot. I tried to do some change basing on your critics, but I can't lie that even knowing what is wrong with the biceps of the guy, it still hard to fix (I should check for a reference picture.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic