Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411429 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:56:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSoul Appeaser [2D ARPG inspired by Souls, Berserk, AoT]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Soul Appeaser [2D ARPG inspired by Souls, Berserk, AoT]  (Read 55464 times)
HopelessComposer
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »

If your game is inspired by the the Demon's Souls series, I'd suggest a name change. Titan Souls had their Steam page super vandalized because of their game's name. Killed their game's Steam rating. I'm sure they lost sales because of it. Soul's fans (and gamers in general) are very protective of the games they love, and are quick to fly into a rage at any form of copying, real or perceived. If your game is going to take cues from the Soul's games, it's best that your name doesn't as well, I think. It's going to make the "cheap 2D indie Souls ripoff" comments even more numerous than they already might be. D'X

Making a platformer is cool, and will earn you praise if it looks good. Making a platformer, and then calling it "Super Hilario Bros," is asking to be crucified. Gamers are assholes, is what I'm saying. Don't give them a reason to hate you, hahah.

Serious advice aside, I've seen you at Pixelation too, right? Your game is looking nice. =)
Also, Berserk is one of the best things ever.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:20:19 AM by HopelessComposer » Logged
SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

05/16
-Another enemy (not sure how I feel about him..)

-Defense and dash systems

damn that claw movement looks amazing man! keep it going  Beer!

mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »

You had me at Berserk  Kiss

Berserk had me after the first two chapters and had then consumed a part of my life. Good times.

Fist bump.

If your game is inspired by the the Demon's Souls series, I'd suggest a name change. Titan Souls had their Steam page super vandalized because of their game's name. Killed their game's Steam rating. I'm sure they lost sales because of it. Soul's fans (and gamers in general) are very protective of the games they love, and are quick to fly into a rage at any form of copying, real or perceived. If your game is going to take cues from the Soul's games, it's best that your name doesn't as well, I think. It's going to make the "cheap 2D indie Souls ripoff" comments even more numerous than they already might be. D'X

Making a platformer is cool, and will earn you praise if it looks good. Making a platformer, and then calling it "Super Hilario Bros," is asking to be crucified. Gamers are assholes, is what I'm saying. Don't give them a reason to hate you, hahah.

Serious advice aside, I've seen you at Pixelation too, right? Your game is looking nice. =)
Also, Berserk is one of the best things ever.

Thanks for the tips HopelessComposer (I need to listen to your music btw and let you know you are awesome and not hopeless)

Interesting on the titan souls, it's an awesome looking game and I have no idea that happened. It's remotely related to Dark Souls but not really that close so I am really surprised to see this.

As for me, this is unfortunate fml. I named it Souls Appeaser purely because of the core game mechanics and all and the game itself is actually not really just a "2D souls".. So it is hard for me to think of a new name, time to brainstorm I guess lol.

A fellow pixeler and berserk fan? Fist bump with respect bruh.

05/16
-Another enemy (not sure how I feel about him..)

-Defense and dash systems

damn that claw movement looks amazing man! keep it going  Beer!

Thanks SrGrafo!! I am not sure about the look (this is supposed to be a ghoul like basic enemy), he looks too simple.. what do you think..?

And good work on Souls, I've been following it and have seen your progress, keep it up man!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »

I don't think he looks too simple for a ghoul like generic enemy bc. He looks sophisticated because of the claw attack skinless arm, unless you make a bunch of em with different skinless parts.  
He looks like a miniature Tyrant (Resident Evil), and his pose is "come at me". More suited for a special enemy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:45:24 PM by bakkusa » Logged
Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 02:21:00 AM »

For some reason, when I was a kid, I was always impressed by tranformations like these. I remember Altered Beast got a huge impression on my imagination as well as Manimal series and stuff like that. All this to say, your game reminds me of my childhood and for that I thank you. Wink
Keep up the good work!

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »

I don't think he looks too simple for a ghoul like generic enemy bc. He looks sophisticated because of the claw attack skinless arm, unless you make a bunch of em with different skinless parts. 
He looks like a miniature Tyrant (Resident Evil), and his pose is "come at me". More suited for a special enemy.

I see, for now that pose is the idle pose when he discovers the enemy. But you have a excellent point, for a basic ghoul like enemy he does seem a bit braver than it should be, I will change that!

For some reason, when I was a kid, I was always impressed by tranformations like these. I remember Altered Beast got a huge impression on my imagination as well as Manimal series and stuff like that. All this to say, your game reminds me of my childhood and for that I thank you. Wink
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the good word Sandman! That means a lot to me and I will keep making them cooler haha.

All the kind encouragement you guys gave me, really makes me feel

DevLog
SrGrafo
Level 0

Artist / Animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »

oh for a basic enemy they look already good, I really like the movement of the bodies in the animations thats well done  Beer!

wait that reminds me, there will be always 1vs1 battles or you will face multiple enemies too?

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:27 PM »

oh for a basic enemy they look already good, I really like the movement of the bodies in the animations thats well done  Beer!

wait that reminds me, there will be always 1vs1 battles or you will face multiple enemies too?

Thanks for the great word! Depending on the occasions the number of enemies will be different, usually couple of melee characters combined with ranged, etc.

Only 1 vs. 1 will probably be the boss encounters  Cheesy

DevLog
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »

Love the progress - keep up the great work!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 03:00:04 PM »

5/30 Update: New character attack; Shadow; Guard function; Dash/Roll function.

Basic attack combo for the Vagabond starting class:

Guard:

Dash/Roll:

Shadow: Can be seen in the above gifs.

Thank you all, let me know if you have any suggestions/comments/anything!

Happy Saturday
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:05:39 PM by mzn528 » Logged

DevLog
Petty_King
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

I love the pixel art. Great stuff. Can't wait to see how this finishes up!
HopelessComposer
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips HopelessComposer (I need to listen to your music btw and let you know you are awesome and not hopeless)

Interesting on the titan souls, it's an awesome looking game and I have no idea that happened. It's remotely related to Dark Souls but not really that close so I am really surprised to see this.
People take affronts to their favorite series extremely seriously. I don't think Titan Souls was very close to Demons' Souls either. Also, I'm a pretty hopeless composer. My name is accurate. :D
As for me, this is unfortunate fml. I named it Souls Appeaser purely because of the core game mechanics and all and the game itself is actually not really just a "2D souls".. So it is hard for me to think of a new name, time to brainstorm I guess lol.

A fellow pixeler and berserk fan? Fist bump with respect bruh.
Honestly, you shouldn't borrow names from other games to boost the recognition of your own. People are going to call you out for riding on the popularity of the Souls games to make your game more popular, which is what you're doing by purposefully giving your name a similar game. Sorry for the harsh truth. DX

If you game isn't just a 2D Demon's Souls clone (it doesn't look like it is!), then all the more reason not to name your game like it is. Wink

Respect to you too for your fantastic taste in manga and videogames. And for being a pixel artist. =)
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »

I love the pixel art. Great stuff. Can't wait to see how this finishes up!

Thanks for the good words Petty_King!!!

People take affronts to their favorite series extremely seriously. I don't think Titan Souls was very close to Demons' Souls either. Also, I'm a pretty hopeless composer. My name is accurate. :D

Honestly, you shouldn't borrow names from other games to boost the recognition of your own. People are going to call you out for riding on the popularity of the Souls games to make your game more popular, which is what you're doing by purposefully giving your name a similar game. Sorry for the harsh truth. DX

If you game isn't just a 2D Demon's Souls clone (it doesn't look like it is!), then all the more reason not to name your game like it is. Wink

Respect to you too for your fantastic taste in manga and videogames. And for being a pixel artist. =)

I want to hear yo music man, stop baiting me ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Who, Me? Who, Me?

But yeah fml, the story, the world formation, everything in this game surrounds the idea of "Souls".. therefore I really can't think of another name gah....

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »

06/01: Health Bar, Soul Altar (Save Point) Animations

Hello all! Hope you all had a great weekend and Monday (eh), here's more update for you!

Prototype Health Bar: (man I hate health bars)

Introducing Soul Altar, the equivalent of a save point in this game.

Once served as places of prayers, the Soul Altars can be seen scattered throughout the continent. An altar will be activated once the appeaser has offered and stored a fragment of his/her soul.

Activation:

Soul Altar:

That's it for today's update, let me know what you think! As always, thank you very much and enjoy your day!

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »

06/03: WIP Title

I can really use some advice here... title is harder than I thought, what do you guys think?

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 01:05:53 PM »

06/04 Update: Prototype player stat bar; display enemy and player damage

This took longer than I thought, but I think it looks good.

Thanks!

DevLog
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »

Hello all! Hope you all had a great weekend and Monday (eh), here's more update for you!

Hey man! Game is looking great so far:) but since you hate health bars why not consider an alternate to them? For instance in Castlevania Symphony of the Night (and many other rpgs) health is represented in a numerical value. In the game Metal Warriors you play as various mechs and your health is represented as damage to the mech, with four stages: the first is full health no damage to mech, the second starts to show cracks and dents, the third makes the paint dull and really beat up, and the fourth and final shows the arms of the mech ripped off and sparks shooting out of it, which indicates that you are about to die!

If you decide to keep the health bar that is cool to just thought Id offer some food for thought:)
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 09:49:48 PM »

Hey man! Game is looking great so far:) but since you hate health bars why not consider an alternate to them? For instance in Castlevania Symphony of the Night (and many other rpgs) health is represented in a numerical value. In the game Metal Warriors you play as various mechs and your health is represented as damage to the mech, with four stages: the first is full health no damage to mech, the second starts to show cracks and dents, the third makes the paint dull and really beat up, and the fourth and final shows the arms of the mech ripped off and sparks shooting out of it, which indicates that you are about to die!

If you decide to keep the health bar that is cool to just thought Id offer some food for thought:)

Hello BarelyHuman, thank you so much for the tip! You brought up a very interesting concept, I seriously thought about doing this, but it is hard since this is an ARPG and I want the player to clearly see the numbers to make strategic decisions. Since the health does not restore automatically, doing something like the Metal Warriors will probably introduce a lot more complications (plus there's at least 31 playable vocations in this game, so I don't even want to start mentioning the additionally animations...).

I am a huge fan of SOTN, therefore I will probably try something like that by putting the number on top of the health bar...? What do you think?

Cheers  Toast Left

DevLog
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »

Hello BarelyHuman, thank you so much for the tip! You brought up a very interesting concept, I seriously thought about doing this, but it is hard since this is an ARPG and I want the player to clearly see the numbers to make strategic decisions. Since the health does not restore automatically, doing something like the Metal Warriors will probably introduce a lot more complications (plus there's at least 31 playable vocations in this game, so I don't even want to start mentioning the additionally animations...).

I am a huge fan of SOTN, therefore I will probably try something like that by putting the number on top of the health bar...? What do you think?

Cheers 

Oh yes I could imagine the metal warriors way would be way too much work with additional animations and what not. I think you should definately try it out and see if you like having the numbers for health! If you don't like it, it could always be reverted back to how it was. I think on the health bar at the far left end that is rounded would be a good place to put the numbers:)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 04:48:29 AM »

you should check this game : Shadow Force - Arcade (1993)

there's an interesting mechanism that allows you to possess normal enemies.
4:33body shift
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic