Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:34:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSoul Appeaser [2D ARPG inspired by Souls, Berserk, AoT]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Soul Appeaser [2D ARPG inspired by Souls, Berserk, AoT]  (Read 55552 times)
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »

I think it would be cool if the blood on the ground looked a brighter red and faded to that background brown red over time.

That, my friend is an awesome idea! Didn't think of that, thanks!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »

06/09 Update: Magic Mechanism

Finally moving on from melee to magic gameplay...

The main character - Appeaser's playstyle is drastically different from the other characters. As a magic casting, his melee can do little damage and the only purpose is to refill the energy meter to cast magic, as shown below.

DevLog
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »

Nice! That animation is preeetttty elaborate. I like that the spell isn't just "one color ramped up to white". I've been trying to get two or three or four colors into my magic spells to make them pop more... and holy hell it's hard.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »

New character looks great I think.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

Nice! That animation is preeetttty elaborate. I like that the spell isn't just "one color ramped up to white". I've been trying to get two or three or four colors into my magic spells to make them pop more... and holy hell it's hard.

Thanks! You might want to play around with Hue shifting and giving them high saturation. I think those tips will help :D
New character looks great I think.

Thanks!

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2017, 07:25:31 PM »

06/12 Update: New Defense Mechanism

Adding a new defense system to differentiate characters. There are currently two types of defense mechanisms:

1. Static: where you hold down the button and the character will stay in defend mode, usually the mode for heavy armored characters
2. Active: when you hold down the defend button, the character will defend for a short period of time. This is usually for more mobile, light armored characters and requires player to time their actions, also a perfect timing will abosorb 100% of incoming damage.

For example:

Let me know what you think.

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

06/17 Update: Parry

Added the parry animation for the main character, which is a quick way to replenish energy needed for magic spells.

DevLog
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2017, 06:57:11 PM »

Have you read this article on specific game feels? It's a bit long-winded but has some excellent terms in it.

I'm thinking the parry animation might not be chunky enough (is that the right word? it's been a while for me Tongue) meaning that it should carry more impact and possibly more screenshake or even freeze the screen a couple frames to make it hit home. I haven't been following very long, but I bet those concepts would help improve things across the board.

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »

New animations are looking amazing!

About the riposte, I think that the zoom would use some interpolation as right now it is instant?

Maybe you could try like DS3, If I recall correctly it goes like:

First, when character is about to smash, it slowly zooms in to focus players atention on your character.
Second, right at the moment of the impact, it makes a strong zoom in (note that it is not instantaneous, but progressive).
Finally, right away after the zoom in, the zoom kinda bounces in and out very slightly for two to four times to help the screenshake effect.

If I remember correctly it is only this exagerated for huge weapons and certain hits only, some had more screenshake and less bouncing zoom, but there is more what you feel comfortable with I guess.

Hope It helped!  Gentleman

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »

Have you read this article on specific game feels? It's a bit long-winded but has some excellent terms in it.

I'm thinking the parry animation might not be chunky enough (is that the right word? it's been a while for me Tongue) meaning that it should carry more impact and possibly more screenshake or even freeze the screen a couple frames to make it hit home. I haven't been following very long, but I bet those concepts would help improve things across the board.

Thanks for the feedback! I will take a look at that article. I had screenshake and freeze at other places and right now I am experimenting different things to make sure I am not spamming that effect, but I agree this is probably an action that can benefit from the "Chunky" feeling lol.

New animations are looking amazing!

About the riposte, I think that the zoom would use some interpolation as right now it is instant?

Maybe you could try like DS3, If I recall correctly it goes like:

First, when character is about to smash, it slowly zooms in to focus players atention on your character.
Second, right at the moment of the impact, it makes a strong zoom in (note that it is not instantaneous, but progressive).
Finally, right away after the zoom in, the zoom kinda bounces in and out very slightly for two to four times to help the screenshake effect.

If I remember correctly it is only this exagerated for huge weapons and certain hits only, some had more screenshake and less bouncing zoom, but there is more what you feel comfortable with I guess.

Hope It helped!  Gentleman

Thanks for the great advice man! Your tips help a lot!

DevLog
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37:00 AM »

Thanks for the great advice man! Your tips help a lot!

Glad to hear that, keep up the good work!  Beer!

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »

06/23 Update: Death

Upon death, a crystal will form at the death location. When you come back and destroy the crystal, you will be able to retrieve your lost fragments.

Also once in range, similar to Lord of Fallen mechanics. If you choose not to destroy the crystal then it will release fragments slowly and replenish your health/energy (at the cost of lost souls) to assist you in combat.

DevLog
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »

06/24 Update: Transformation Animation Redo

Took me a while... Changed the transformation animation from:

to

Thanks!

DevLog
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »

I really like the new transform animation, it looks much better than the old one. Good work!
justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2017, 05:24:49 PM »

Just went through the thread, great to see how far the animations have come. I know that you were saying that you want to make sure the animations pop, can you post a video with sound? it would be great to hear what they sound like!

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »

I really like the new transform animation, it looks much better than the old one. Good work!

Thanks for the kind words!

Just went through the thread, great to see how far the animations have come. I know that you were saying that you want to make sure the animations pop, can you post a video with sound? it would be great to hear what they sound like!

Haha thanks for the kind words! Right now I am still implementing core mechanics and animations so there's actually no sound yet. But stay tuned that will come in the future lol

DevLog
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2017, 06:32:50 PM »

Waaagh! Another +1 for the new transformation!

mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

Waaagh! Another +1 for the new transformation!

Thanks Nathy!

DevLog
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »

Yep, new transformation is very nice, great improvement.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mzn528
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »

08/05 Update: 60fps, Appeaser Combo, others.

Spent a lot of time changing the game from 30 to 60 fps... It was a major pain in the ass but thank God I am still nailing the mechanics.

Also developed couple of different attack systems including quick attacks and charge attacks, will show later once I have non placeholder art haha.

For now, here's a combo for the main character, Appeaser:

DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic