Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:20:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLonely House-Moving
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lonely House-Moving  (Read 3918 times)
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »

Yay, new Nigoro game! This one isn't as insanely hard as La-Mulana, though.

Also, I found this review on Jay Is Games to be strangely hilarious:
Lonely House-Moving is more than just a simple run, jump and dodge game, it's a meditation on love and what a person is willing to do for that love. The setting sun that marks your progress through the game implies a subtle sense of loss, like the sun has set on the relationship, while simultaneously all the junk that imperils you gradually lightens the truck. Eventually, it becomes so light that the girlfriend notices, and sees you, so she jumps right out the back of the truck. When you see this happen, you're suddenly jarred out of the conventional arcade-score triumph you might expect from similar games in the genre, and you're inspired with a sudden moment of ownership: you are this man possessed by a sudden exuberance. I jumped right up to catch her in my arms. The feeling is genuine.

(Note: I don't know what happens if you let her hit the ground.)
:D
I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand Jay's "artsy" take on everything. Call me uncultured, but when I play a game, I'm looking for fun, not a metaphor for human life or something.

Don't get me wrong, there are some artistic games I like (Kyntt, for one), but this review is just....ergh.

What do you guys think?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:21:52 AM »

Jay's been in my bad books ever since he came over here with his heckles up about people having arguments on his site. Pathetic. His site is awesome though, and I think he's right about Lonely House Moving as long as you don't let his hyperbolic writing get to you. It *is* a romantic, heart-breaking concept and it's done rather well. I didn't know one could actually complete it though, that's even more awesome and probably accounts for his feeling son it. I feel emotional just thinking about that idea. It's like the bridge in Ico. Cry

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »

Yeah, I just don't like his wrting style....

I honestly can't see how this game is a metaphor for anything. What, do the birds and bycyclists you jump on represent your inner fears or something? Really, the game is too goofy for me to take seriously.

Now Pyschonauts, there was a game that handled what I'm talking about perfectly. There's something awesome about looking inside the minds of some of the twisted characters you meet. It never got too pretentious or snooty either and was a fun game in its own right.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:55:17 AM by Stij » Logged
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »

I think that review is a bit over the top, but I also seriously think it's important to have games that 'make statements.' It's cool that you like fun games; I personally think we could use some more games tackling serious issues in a meaningful sense, but it's my feeling that there's enough room in the medium for both: it's not like we have to exclude anyone.

On the other hand, if it's the explanation of your game that makes a statement while the game itself doesn't say shit, you might as well pack it in. I think we all have better things to do than listen to long-winded excuses for the multimedia equivalent of colour field painting.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:07:30 PM »

The first time I "spoke" with Jay was when he came over to accuse Tim of stealing a screenshot from his site without sourcing him.  It was just a similar screen from a repetitive-looking game.

I really like the NIGORO game, though.  You do get a little kick in your heart when she first pulls away and you start running after her. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 05:06:08 PM by Derek » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

Man, that was beautiful  Cry

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19:42 AM »

Huh? I didn't like the game... it's pretty bland really, and it really is just a 'simple run, jump and dodge game'. Kinda like an Orisinal game with a different graphical style.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »

Yeah, I think the Orisinal comparison is really strong. In both this and Orisinal games, the emotion involved isn't rubbed in your face - it's there for you to interpret but it's not like there's a cut scene at the start with the two kids going "I'll miss you forever!" "I can't believe I'm finally moving... I'm so sad Sad" "Cry... waiiiiit!".

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 05:44:33 AM »

I'm not sure if you guys have the story completely figured out. I don't think that this girl really liked this dude. He was probably the annoying neighbor or something. After all, those crates don't just fall out of the truck on their own.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 05:52:53 AM »

I'm not sure if you guys have the story completely figured out. I don't think that this girl really liked this dude. He was probably the annoying neighbor or something. After all, those crates don't just fall out of the truck on their own.

Hmmm, you may be onto something.  Looking more closely at the sprite of her jumping out of the truck, I think she's got a can of mace tucked under her armpit!  She just happens to faint in mid-air!

He's probably a rapist! Shocked
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »

A bird just took a huge brown dump on my head.  In my book, games that include flying crap are disqualified as "meditations on love".  Roll Eyes

Dannobot on Twitter
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »

Then I don't think you've experienced the true meaning of love Sad
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 02:55:16 AM »

I think Xander's post on the front page about Emily Enough is a nice example of how to discuss some of the artistic elements of a game without sounding pompous or patronising.

Just write normally, show a sense of humour, don't spell everything out... You know, the way they discuss artistic elements in book and movie reviews.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 09:26:01 AM »

I think Xander's post on the front page about Emily Enough is a nice example of how to discuss some of the artistic elements of a game without sounding pompous or patronising.

Just write normally, show a sense of humour, don't spell everything out... You know, the way they discuss artistic elements in book and movie reviews.
Exactly.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic