Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1396069 Posts in 67335 Topics- by 60474 Members - Latest Member: Rutzsv

October 22, 2021, 09:12:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMORSE - A game that passively teaches you the lost skill of telegraphy.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: MORSE - A game that passively teaches you the lost skill of telegraphy.  (Read 16674 times)
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »

Hi, nice, that this is coming along. This game was up here when I originally signed up to the forum years ago. Pretty sure there was a playable version available for download (and that I was v. bad at it). Well done!
AlexVsCoding
Level 6

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2021, 02:24:57 AM »

That is indeed a lot of progress, good work!

Cheers! it's been a bloody busy few months, things certainly will be a lot quieter in the coming weeks, as of tomorrow taking at least a full week off from work. Very tired!

Hi, nice, that this is coming along. This game was up here when I originally signed up to the forum years ago. Pretty sure there was a playable version available for download (and that I was v. bad at it). Well done!

Thanks! Yeah, it's come along a loooooong way since the flash version (RIP Flash version), that build of it difficulty-wise was probably the equivalent of a final boss battle in the game (Full alphabet of letters, 10 rows of letters, 3 battlefields you have to control simultaneously with only basic artillery!) Certainly a lot better on the difficulty scaling this time around.

Speaking of, I am looking for testers for the full unreleased build, drop me a comment below or a DM if you're interested in giving it a go! (That does come with the caveat of giving feedback!)

If folks haven't checked it out yet, I've updated the main page graphics to represent the game in its current form, definitely chuffed with the style!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2021, 12:09:27 AM »

Well look at this:

https://xkcd.com/2445/
AlexVsCoding
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2021, 06:35:26 AM »

Hey Folks!

Back after a week off, feeling a lot better for a break!

I've been back to work over the last few days, the focus being on getting the main menu overhauled to accommodate more buttons! Whilst a lot of them are placeholder for the time being, it looks real slick and it's a lot easier to lock buttons I currently don't need than have to keep adding ones over time.

More soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2021, 03:46:01 AM »

SO...

Been a hot minute since I posted in here last! Here's what you've missed:

So turned out I needed a much longer break than expected, quite heavily burnt out from juggling client work, commitments as a lecturer and managing MORSE. More broadly with the restrictions being lifted for COVID, having spent most of the pandemic in isolation I needed time to see folks and recover from that experience.

Fastforward to August, an opportunity to pitch the game came up and having that come up put a fistful of fire in my belly and I returned to the project, re-familiarised myself with the project and crafted a pitch.

I'm determined to ship the game and with that I've quit my lecturing job to focus on this full time. Currently talking to a bunch of publishers and seems really positive feedback so far!

The most recent development was EGX 2021 - MORSE got featured in the Leftfield collection and last week I took the game along with the custom cabinet and had such a fantastic time. After over a year of not exhibiting the game, finally getting to have folks play it was incredibly cathartic and validating. Check out the footage from the event here:

So what happens next?

Currently I'm in talks with several publishers, from which (if things go to plan) I'll be starting full time development with a team of 9 from December. As part of that, there'll be a lot more activity on here!

There's also the matter of what feedback I gathered from EGX which needs integrating in the project:
FIXES
- Integrate multi-shot placement for all letter lengths (E.g. 4-5, I think any more than that is worth the programmer handling)
- Offset help menu for longer words
- Morse tree broken (can't click on the button)
- Look at speed sliders (adjust values in settings menu), ham radio operator wants more sensitive controls
- Add training screen with Eliza
- Integrate training into campaign
- Add character disks to overview (Like banner saga) to dictate who is in what room
- Disable annoying annoying menu popup (restrict to showing once per mode)
- Fix easy mode on RATIONS (Round doesn't end on death)
- Overhaul objectives bar to be more explicit
- Increase background decorations for campaign (Some bits are really sloppy and could easily bring up the production level
- Number order needs inverting (caught literally every person out)
- Start of game is too long for expos (Folks drop off before they hit the gameplay), need a means of streamlining
- Could look at having 2 modes - Fully randomised and scaling (where number increases on each win state).

Not sure yet whether I'm going to be immediately delving into solving these or whether admin/publisher stuff will take priority, but we'll see! I'll actually be doing an update post on what has changed since March on the game, we'll see if I have the time to make a video log on that!

Stay tuned for more soon!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2021, 12:10:17 AM »

Hey! Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good break too Smiley

And awesome that you have multiple interested publishers out there! Coffee
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic