Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412011 Posts in 69462 Topics- by 58494 Members - Latest Member: aeterponis

July 05, 2024, 06:40:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSwitch Punch (2d Platformer)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Switch Punch (2d Platformer)  (Read 666 times)
VinG
Level 0

Somehow Here

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:37:05 AM »

So im making my first Game and since im starting to create games i would like to receive some feedback about my game.
Its called SwitchPunch a game where you try stop an evil empereror from rising.
the game plays like any platformer but the mechanic of this game involves two attacks wich only affect certain enemies in a way.
please tell me if anything is wrong, theres something missing, do you have an opinion about it, just let me know.

Here's the Download Link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!zN4SVSxI!aijA9pKxkKAeiTm8pC6J2yKe0nkGabF2GfCT20IBjj8
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:27:18 AM by VinG » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

-I love the music. It made a great first-impression.

-The full-screen mode only took up a small piece of my screen (1920x1080 resolution). It looks like it could've been scaled up more and still fit nicely.

-Windowed mode had the bottom of the options menu cut off.

-I found the window/full toggle a bit weird. To me, the square with the black in it looks like it's selected (as if it's been "pressed" or something).

-The sound and music sliders said "0" even though they were at 100 when I used them.

-I don't like that I can't access an options menu from in the game.

-The dialogue text is really tiny, pressed against the top of the dialogue window and slightly blurry. It looks nothing like the font in your screenshot. Maybe it's a font I don't have and it wasn't packaged with the game?

-"Should check out..." doesn't actually mean the same thing as "Should check it out..." would.

-The very first thing I did upon leaving my house is go left. Then I...died?

-Later, I fell in a pit and died. The camera appeared at my house, but my character wasn't there. Then everything flickered and the character appeared.

-It's a bit annoying that I have to go through the tutorial dialogue again after dying.

-I don't like the in-game music nearly as much. The drums are so much louder than the rest and, while it's powerful, it feels too repetitive since the drums don't change at all.

-I really don't like the rain effect. It's just weird-looking, with big clumps of rain-drops falling.

-I'm not a huge fan of tutorials where you can only perform an action once your character mentions it.

-The indicators that show whether or not I have a punch available are off to the side where I don't really look at all. Maybe the character should flash that color or something so I don't have to look away (of course, when I got used to the timing it didn't matter so much).

-I feel like the waiting time between punches is too long. It slows down the pace of the game drastically when I have to stop and run away a few steps before attacking.

-Sound effects would make a huge difference.

-It wasn't clear when I got hurt, but somehow I lost a bunch of health. I think I used the wrong punch on some enemies, but there was no noticeable effect on my character when I did. It should be more obvious that damage was done.

-Respawning at the very beginning whenever I died was pretty annoying. In fact, that's what made me stop playing. I went and got the tophat, then I went through a bunch of enemies and died to the second cannon because I'd lost health somewhere and messed up a jump over a cannonball. I had little interest in going through all the jumping, smashing and dialogue over again.

-Despite my annoyance, I did try it again anyway...and then proceeded to die just past that spot because even though I was sure I faced right before using a punch, I ended up flying left into a pit.

-Is there any way to regain health?

Apart from the lack of checkpoints and health items, my biggest issue is just that I don't find the combat fun. I like the basic mechanic, but it's not used in interesting ways (at least, not at the beginning).

Dealing with cannons, for example, is just tedious and doesn't make use of the mechanics well. How about timing a punch in the air in order to hit the bullets back or something? Different-colored bullets that act differently and require different punches? I don't know. That might be taking the color thing too far, but I feel like the cannons are just time-wasters at the moment that temporarily keep me from moving forward and don't really add anything to the game. The basic enemies are a bit better, but walking back and forth without actively attacking/defending isn't great. Combat feels like the focus of the game, but it's not interesting. Yet. The game feels decent to actually control, and I think it's got a lot of potential.

Apart from font and window problems, a short delay when leaving the house and some possible slowdown in the rain at times, I didn't notice any other technical issues.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
VinG
Level 0

Somehow Here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »

wow, thanks for the reply i didnt think someone would check my game this fast.
any way i already saw your reply and im my way to fix the problems.
i would also like to know if you have any idea on how to make the combat more fun or how to limit the attack player in another way because i imagend players spamming just an attack.
im thankfull for this reply it opened my eyes, i was already thinknig this was going to be the best game ever but is far from that.
im also sorry that you couldn manage to get to the checkpoint or boss even if it was a really small level it just shows how much of a noob i am at this.
also sorry for my english, its not my natural language.
here are some fixes:
-cannons now shoot diferent colored cannonballs and die in one hit if returned.
-you can not fall from the sides of the level now.
-dialog doesn´t repeat after the first time.
thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:47:44 PM by VinG » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »

To be honest, I think most of my deaths were from stupid little things like me starting a dash over a pit a few pixels too early, or somehow managing not to jump over a cannonball properly. These are my own issues and not necessarily the fault of the game. My main problem wasn't really the difficulty, but the fact that any mistake meant going through the tutorial again. That made it feel more punishing than practically any game out there. Even Dark Souls doesn't punish players that much. Tongue

Anyway, I'll try to remember to give it another shot later.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
VinG
Level 0

Somehow Here

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:44 PM »

well , thanks alot for telling me,im sure it was my mistake too for adding a lot of enemies  Shrug im new to this so i really mess up sometimes, however i already aknowledged some fo the problems in my latest build and fixed them like making the dialog unrepeatable, also this is a really old build, so now i added a lot of things since i posted that zip file in another website,
so maybe in another day i´ll post the link to a better build but for now i will take any advice an criticism. Smiley
also yeah the font wasnt included, sorry for that Tongue

VinG
Level 0

Somehow Here

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »

this is the newest build a lot of things have improved an changed and more things are being added but right now i wuould like to get more feedback about my progress.
here is the link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!rApmQbRR!RPkmLPWmWFVKhTr8gQYtVHyrJ5J0mtEMcENcPj2LDI4

Changes/fixes:
-the player can't fall to the sides of the level anymore.
-Cutscenes don't repeat after the first time.
-fixed a camera issue.
-Changed some graphics.
-Cannon enemies die in one hit if the bullet is returned.
-Changed some dialog..
Aditions:
-WIP Level selection.
-WIP Town level.
-WIP "Artifacts" (items to make some things easier but that take time to rech-arge)
-Added Pause menu.
-Added chests and coins.
Things being worked on:
-a better fullscreen mode.
-changing the rain effect from the tutorial.
-a better indication to when the attacks are available.
-Health drops.
also i would love if someone would like to answer me how to reduce the space taken by sound files, because right now songs take alot of space.
thats all for now, good night.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic