Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:48:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDWARVES --- It's done and I added a Post Mortem post.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: DWARVES --- It's done and I added a Post Mortem post.  (Read 22740 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2017, 07:39:11 AM »

Thanks for writing this postmortem. It was great following this devlog! This is next in line on my to-play list.

we took a bet on this approach to also yield a fun game

Taking bets like this is not inherently a bad thing, I think. A lot of creative production boils down to trial and error, and there are things you really can't predict early on. So even if you feel it didn't pay off in this particular case, taking these bets can sometimes be the only way to great new things. At the very least, the worst case scenario, it means it's off the beaten path already, and that's a plus on my book. I have high regards for many games that did something new despite if they worked as well in the end. You can bet this game will be the main inspiration to many games in the future, as people take these ideas in and try to further explore them.

Congrats on finishing!

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »

I'm glad you found it interesting. Thanks for reading. Wink And I'll make sure to post here when I start another devlog.

@diegzumillo: Looking back 10-20 years games seemed to be more ambitious in terms of creativity and breaking new grounds. But the bigger budget the more risk averse everyone involved is. The best compromise is imho to find the fun and eliminate technical risks in an extended pre-production phase. That way once you get started for real you know that you're headed into the right direction. But you need some financial leeway to be able to afford that. Previously we've always been on rather tight schedules.

@Jabberwocky: The Book of Unwritten Tales really was our break-through title. The first "real" game in the sense that we could go to the local videogame dealer and make selfies infront of a shelf filled with boxed copies of our game.

I don't know the details on the sales but afaik the distribution looks something like this: Playstation 4 > PC > XBox One > Mac&Linux. And this is the main reason we're using Unity these days you can target pretty much all relevant platorms at once. Book of Unwritten Tales 2 released on 8 platforms. And we've even Android and iOS versions of it. (Not yet released, though)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:32:43 AM by lithander » Logged

VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »

Surprising to me that PS4 outsold PC.  Did you target it specifically?  As far as I have seen, steam seems to outsell PS4.
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »

As far as I have seen, steam seems to outsell PS4.

For our game specifically or generally? I mean even Witcher 3 which used to be a PC only series sold way more copies on the consoles. Where do you source your data from? Got some links?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »

I just got around to buying it on GOG. Will install it on my Linux laptop when I get it back from the repair shop Coffee
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2017, 04:19:00 AM »

Toast Right Toast Left

VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

As far as I have seen, steam seems to outsell PS4.

For our game specifically or generally? I mean even Witcher 3 which used to be a PC only series sold way more copies on the consoles. Where do you source your data from? Got some links?

Just kind of what I had in my head from some post mortems.  Nothing scientific at all.  It is encouraging that PS4 is so substantial.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic