Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:38:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI'm a dummy, trying to get less dumb
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I'm a dummy, trying to get less dumb  (Read 5995 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

i'm really smart
just a quick update: still a peerless genius here
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »

i'm really smart
just a quick update: still a peerless genius here

Joe, the AI Deep Blue has challenged you for dominance.
What do you do?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »

G2 to G4

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 01:42:24 AM »

I was thinking maybe C# in Unity... but I'm afraid that may be to difficult. This forum has been very positive so far, what do you guys think? 
It's not that much harder. You'll run into concepts of object oriented programming, some of which you'll know from Game Maker (inheritance, attributes) and some that will be new (Class methods, encapsulation, interfaces, etc.)

For base use, you could really handle it much like game maker with an extra axis. (You're going from x and y to x, y, and z! Woo!)

In general, Game Maker is still pretty good to make 2d games with. Learning new stuff is good but you don't have to fully give up on GM or anything.

I can make pretty decent music, But I'm god awful at game art. I can make ok still sprites, but my animations looks really crummy. I'd really like to learn how to draw better, But right now I think I should learn a more powerful programming language.
Of course, you can always specialize a bit and then collab. It also helps for motivation, edging each other forward in a little one-upmanship. And programmer art isn't bad. You can make a fun game that only uses colored rectangles and then find someone that draws you some sexy sprites if you pay them or they find the game fun to work on.
EncryptedKnight
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 09:18:18 AM »

I would have joined this forum years ago if question "What is Daisuke Amaya's nickname?" wasn't in place. What were you guys thinking?  Who, Me? Facepalm No No NO
Canned Turkey
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:25 AM »

How about this?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 11:32:19 AM »

just in case anybody was wondering: still a genius beyond compare here, slowly coming to the realisation that my medical genetics tutor was correct and the more i learn the less able i am to meaningfully communicate with normal people
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »

people overrate social anywaysss

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »

just in case anybody was wondering: still a genius beyond compare here, slowly coming to the realisation that my medical genetics tutor was correct and the more i learn the less able i am to meaningfully communicate with normal people
Thanks Joe. Keep us posted for as long as you still use words!

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »

Flowers for Algernon
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 03:56:10 AM »

you should treasure your jobs and your hobbies and be thankful you never have to explain matrix metalloproteinases to artists who all speak english as a second or third language
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »

haha a cave story thread

Yeah, it was buried very deep. "Badum tss!"

I liked Cave Story better when it was underground.  Cave Story

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »

but it always was above ground, floating continent and all

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 04:12:09 AM »

just dropping by to give an update a little over a year later: still a towering and inimitable titan of the intellectual sphere. however talking about my work to normal people requires a complex network of metaphors which often collapses and they are left staring mute, mouths agape as cows, at the spectacle in front of them they are not equipped to comprehend
WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »

Flowers for Algernon

I really liked that book.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »

I'd really like to learn how to draw better, But right now I think I should learn a more powerful programming language.

Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards is a classic that you should probably read.

Beyond that learn, to draw from real life as early as possible. A common mistake (that I made) is to  learn to much from other artists. This prevents you from finding your own art style. There is also the overhaning risk of learning stuff wrong because the artist your copying learned about it wrong (because that artist learned from an artist that learned it wrong etc.).  Last but not least, if you only know how to draw from other drawings then you will run in to trouble whenever you want/need to draw a rare motif (photographies will be abundant, but other drawings sparse).

Finally, draw more or less every day. At least 15 minutes.

Which brings up another question... what engine should I use now that i'm ready to expand from game maker? what programming language? I was thinking maybe C# in Unity... but I'm afraid that may be to difficult. This forum has been very positive so far, what do you guys think? 

When it comes to programming languages and engines you should just

you can get your hands on.

What you really should conciser is getting a tutor with a few years of professional programming experience (does not need to be in games). So called "Self taught" programmers tend to develop a lot of odd (and often harmful) quirks in their coding style (like overuse of obscure syntax). A senior developer will be able to point out potential bugs and readability issues that you are probably not able spot yourself yet. Getting a Masters degree in computer science is ideal, but just having someone more experienced read your code and provide feedback is a good start.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »

Superb Joe: I'm Really Smart.
... On Opposite Day

HAH
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 03:49:21 AM »

remaining extremely smart and capable
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 03:57:43 AM »

periodic update: transferring to one of the top 10 universities in the world to continue my research as of october, becoming incredibly modest in addition to strong, brave, and smart
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »

periodic update: transferring to one of the top 10 universities in the world to continue my research as of october, becoming incredibly modest in addition to strong, brave, and smart
brexit created a joexit, it seems. i can empathize with those who are partaking in this brain drain, so godspeed, friend.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic